Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 28, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #1,456 of 1,519
Ok... now I am kind of convinced VSS is kind of a waste of time. Watched this video with VSS on vs Off. Off is so much better.

That's because this is a binaural recording. Basically two earshaped mics on an average sized mannequin's head. It's made to mimick human hearing, you don't need vss for that as it will obviously throw it off.
Vss tries to reproduce binaural audio with algorithms btw. It takes multi channel audio in and remixes it to stereo while trying to keep the positionnal info in.
Oh, and "8d" audio is a joke.

May 29, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,457 of 1,519
Ok... now I am kind of convinced VSS is kind of a waste of time. Watched this video with VSS on vs Off. Off is so much better.

That audio is able to carry more spatial information than regular stereo audio because it is a binaural recording. That means it has special spatial cues baked into the audio. The purpose of devices like the gsx 1000 is to take surround sound and convert that to binaural audio, by adding the same type of spatial cues, so that sounds can match their position in the game world better. In this specific case, utilizing the processing would be wrong because the spatial cues are already present. Similarly, if someone records the output of a gsx 1000 with the 7.1 processing on, then you can't listen to that with vss on because the spatial cues have already been put in.

So vss gives you a way to get binaural audio from surround sound movies, tv, and games. Without that, you would be limited to just binaural audio from binaural recordings, which make up a very small amount of content. I would say they are basically nonexistent outside of novelty videos.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,458 of 1,519
Hi.
I've been trying the GSX1000 for one week now. I don't know if I may have a faulty unit.
I have a weird feeling with the surround sound. It feels like the center channel when I play the Windows test tone is a little bit unbalanced to the left and I've been playing Detroit Become Human, with lots of dialogs played from the center channel and It feels the same. This makes sounds echoey and reberby with more volumen on the left ear. Things get better when I pan the sound towards the right channel.
It's only happening with the GSX1000. I have the Mixamp Pro 2013 and it's not happening there. So it's definetely not an ear imbalance.
I wonder if you guys have played the Windows test tone with 7.1 virtual speakers and you notice the center channel a little bit on the left too.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,461 of 1,519
Are you selecting GSX Main Audio for Sound and GSX Communication for Microphone from the Windows Sounds menu? (Apologies if this is way below your level of expertise... it's just that it's the most common mistake in setting up the GSX).

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,463 of 1,519
Are you selecting GSX Main Audio for Sound and GSX Communication for Microphone from the Windows Sounds menu? (Apologies if this is way below your level of expertise... it's just that it's the most common mistake in setting up the GSX).

Yeah. No problem, I didn't mention It, but yes, I'm using the right audio device.

Before I bought It, I read this entire thread and I don't remember anyone having this issue. I'm re-reading again as the I didn't find anything similar searching on the thread.

I was really confused for days because It didn't sound as I've read here until I remembered this center channel imbalance when I played the 7.1 Windows test tone the first day and tried now to lower the volume on the left side. Like this gets better, but I don't know exactly how much should I compensate and I don't have any reference of how It should sound.

Mine does the same thing, its a bit towards the left channel, its normal on 2.0.

My gsp500 tends to the right so things even out here.

Oh, really? With mine is more noticeable with 7.1 activated. I have a pair of Fidelio X2 and I haven't noticed any imbalance with my realtek+mixamp or the Behringer.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,464 of 1,519
I noticed this right from the start, at the time I was playing Destiny2 on PC, and playing with 7.1 felt like some effects in game where prone to the left. The GSP500 have this problem with the volume knob on the right ear that if you leave it 100%(which is correct), the right channel gets slightly imbalanced to the right. To me feels like the GSX1200 and the GSP500 where made for each other just because of this coincidence since they balance itself out in the end.

This troubled me a bit on the beginning too, I dont think its faulty, most people dont notice slight variations on left/right channels, most headphones have this, some more, some less.

Edit: I mean, sure, this could be a fault, but I think every unit has it, the GSX is far from perfect, there are other problems too like not turning on with windows 50% of the time. I also find the 7.1 to be a bit distant, I use a compressor 100% of the time on games.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,466 of 1,519
I noticed this right from the start, at the time I was playing Destiny2 on PC, and playing with 7.1 felt like some effects in game where prone to the left. The GSP500 have this problem with the volume knob on the right ear that if you leave it 100%(which is correct), the right channel gets slightly imbalanced to the right. To me feels like the GSX1200 and the GSP500 where made for each other just because of this coincidence since they balance itself out in the end.

This troubled me a bit on the beginning too, I dont think its faulty, most people dont notice slight variations on left/right channels, most headphones have this, some more, some less.

Edit: I mean, sure, this could be a fault, but I think every unit has it, the GSX is far from perfect, there are other problems too like not turning on with windows 50% of the time. I also find the 7.1 to be a bit distant, I use a compressor 100% of the time on games.
Just want to share that it's the same for my GSX 1000. It's fine on 2.0, but the sound is slightly towards the left when I switch to 7.0. I can live with it though.

Thanks for sharing.

It's specially noticiable with dialogs, but not in every game.

BF1 sounds good for example, but with Detroit Become Human it totally ruins the experience. I can hear the dialog on my left ear instead of the front speaker where It should be. That makes the sound muffled, unrealistic and kind of reberby for nothing. Worse with 5.1 source maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back