Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Nov 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,519

shankly1985

100+ Head-Fier
Been watching this product for a while now and seen it getting some decent feedback, My main issue with Surround Sound in headphones is the Echo-y effect like you always sitting in a empty hall.. So I waited hoping this is the next big thing for Virtual Surround sound, Senn say

SURROUND SOUND REBORN

Designed primarily for gaming, the GSX 1000 audio amplifier features a Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine. The groundbreaking 7.1 Virtual Surround Algorithm was developed with the needs of professional gamers in mind. Experience surround sound on a new level. It works with PC and Mac.

Heard feedback so far and it seems they really have found away to remove the echo effect :D So I went and ordered I will post back my findings and see just how good this is.

My attempt at reviewing the product 

Music test going through each EQ

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/v4r/global_search?q=gsx

Dolby 7.1 test - "Throughout" 
color]
 This video the interference is easy picked up 
color]
 So for this video ignore sound quality and just listen for the positional cues

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 1,519
Really curious about Sennheiser's virtual surround. Personally I didn't like Dolby Headphone because of the reverb, so I'm using the Sound Blaster G5 right now. While I like SBX virtual surround, I hope Sennheiser introduces a new competitor. I sometimes play on console, too, if the GSX can decode Dolby headphone then maybe the Astro Mixamp can finally have some competition!

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 1,519

I got this a few days ago after finding your comments over at overclockers.co.uk. Been fascinated by surround sound, since the Yamaha came up with their decoders in the back in the day. I am on a Xonar STX and I own a decent 5.1 speker system in my living room.We have 2 LAN parties within the next 2 weeks, so I will test it with games like COD4/5 and Titanfall a lot.
It drives all the cans that I have on hand quite good including the Sennheiser HD650. Listening to The Beautiful South with my Beyerdynamic DT1990 right now. GSX1000 set to Stereo no effects enabled.
You might want to change the title of this thread to:

Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions

Cheers

Peter

P.s. I have a Sennheiser Lucas that is still working, if you see one grab it, it is a lot of fun.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 1,519
  Really curious about Sennheiser's virtual surround. Personally I didn't like Dolby Headphone because of the reverb, so I'm using the Sound Blaster G5 right now. While I like SBX virtual surround, I hope Sennheiser introduces a new competitor. I sometimes play on console, too, if the GSX can decode Dolby headphone then maybe the Astro Mixamp can finally have some competition!

I came from G5 to GSX 1000 and i can tell you it's in a completely different league. It is expensive though.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 1,519

I have the Xonar STX, to me the GSX 1000 is nearly that level on Stereo Music playback. The surround modus is fantastic in movies like the Hobbit part 3. The absence of reverb is a very good feature.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 1,519
Updated OP and changed the title
Glad to see others enjoying this product it really is excellent.. Just found out today how to get 2.0 HD

Go back to the playback settings and select the GSX 1000. Then click on "Configure" and select "Stereo" (NOT 7.1).
Then just click "Next - Next - Finish". Afterwards, still in the playback settings, right-click on the GSX 1000 device, and when you go to "Advanced" you should be able to pick different sample rates. For 2.0 HD mode it should be 96.0 kHz @ 24 bit. After picking the one you want, click on "Apply"

Bit of a shame though if you want 7.1 back again you need to change this back to 16bit 48hz

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 1,519
Another video for you guys, this time I wanted to show the communication feature off better and what you can do with it.
Separating game audio from programs like Teamspeak or Discord has always been a real pain. In the past I have used software for this Virtual Audio Cable but it can have horrible effect like Lag, Delay or Audio just stops working.
Having this built into the GSX is a real Bonus is something I am very happy with.

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 1,519
Hey guys,
How do you turn off hearing your own voice on the headphones when you talk into your mic?

On the X-Fi there was an icon for the playback mixer for microphone and then you mute that, then you cant 'hear' yourself talk.
I really hate hearing myself breathe.  Only way I can seem to do that here is to unplug the microphone....

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 1,519
Hey guys,
How do you turn off hearing your own voice on the headphones when you talk into your mic?

On the X-Fi there was an icon for the playback mixer for microphone and then you mute that, then you cant 'hear' yourself talk.
I really hate hearing myself breathe.  Only way I can seem to do that here is to unplug the microphone....

Is that the icon on the unit left to 7.1?
Also check to make sure speakers is set to default sound device etc

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 1,519
No, that icon is for some sort of sound thing depending on if you have open ear or closed back headphones.
Everything is setup properly.  It's just the microphone sound is always heard through the headphones.  All of the Creative Labs cards do the same thing by default, but you can MUTE the microphone section under playback devices->speakers->levels.

there is no "microphone" level selection under playback on the GSX, just recording volume, and muting that doesn't stop you from hearing your own voice in your headphones (it does stop others from hearing you, but that's not the problem).

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 1,519
No, that icon is for some sort of sound thing depending on if you have open ear or closed back headphones.
Everything is setup properly.  It's just the microphone sound is always heard through the headphones.  All of the Creative Labs cards do the same thing by default, but you can MUTE the microphone section under playback devices->speakers->levels.

there is no "microphone" level selection under playback on the GSX, just recording volume, and muting that doesn't stop you from hearing your own voice in your headphones (it does stop others from hearing you, but that's not the problem).

Sorry am not sure man, I use a USB blue snowball microphone. Not tested the GSX with 3.5 jack mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back