Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Nov 27, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 1,519
  Updated OP and changed the title
Glad to see others enjoying this product it really is excellent.. Just found out today how to get 2.0 HD

Go back to the playback settings and select the GSX 1000. Then click on "Configure" and select "Stereo" (NOT 7.1).
Then just click "Next - Next - Finish". Afterwards, still in the playback settings, right-click on the GSX 1000 device, and when you go to "Advanced" you should be able to pick different sample rates. For 2.0 HD mode it should be 96.0 kHz @ 24 bit. After picking the one you want, click on "Apply"

Bit of a shame though if you want 7.1 back again you need to change this back to 16bit 48hz

I totally agree. What's the point of having high-res audio if it's such a hassle to change from 7.1? They really should have added it for surround as well, so you could just switch to stereo with a click on the device itself.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 1,519
Without PS4/Xbox? I think they killed the product at birth.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 1,519
Not only that, the surround sound positioning quality in this device completely KILLS the competition.
The only thing that comes close is Creative's CMSS-3D headphone from the X-fi cards, which is quite good, and if you already have an X-fi and are tight on money, that will make do.  But this GSX even exceeds CMSS-3D headphone mode, letting you hear things that even the X-fi might not have picked up with the proper positioning.  It's THAT good.

The only thing that can beat this is the Smyth Realiser A16 (or A8), and quite handily too, since you can calibrate it for your ears and room, making it indistinguishable from surround speakers, but the prices for that are outside of most gamers' budgets.  For a generic one HRTF fits all solution, nothing beats this in its price range.  I also don't know if the Realiser can function as a USB DAC or not, but that's getting off topic.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 1,519
I'd be curious if anyone has been able to compare this to the X7? X7 has more functionality (console compatible) but lacks 7.1 and is a lot more expensive. I have an X7 already and love it but I have a second PC setup in my apartment that could use an audio upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back