Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,516 of 1,519
To anyone who find gsx 1000 has unbalance sound (more to the left) do you have solution for this? Will app like steelseries sonar fix it? Thank you
I’ve only seen this when the plug is so tight that it wasn’t plugged all the way into the GSX 1000 jack, which thankfully is an easy fix (just press harder!). This can also happen in headphones with removable cables, if they’re not all the way plugged into the earcup too. That said, it is possible (though less likely) that the GSX 1000 is defective, you may be able to make a global correction in your computer’s Accessibility section.

Hi

What does the 1V @ 32 ohm convert to in mW to compare with things like Schitt/JDS stacks?
It’s not very powerful; it’s great with something like an HD 560S and it was literally designed for the Sennheiser/EPOS gaming headsets (like the PC38X, GSP 500, or H6 Pro Open headset), but imo it’s too weak for an HD 6xx and would make it sound weird.

I think @Currawong ’s power calculator tool is very handy and you should bookmark this page:
https://www.hear.audio/2019/06/01/headphone-power-calculator/
If you scroll down to the Amplifier Calculations section, Current calculation, you will see that if you plug in 1V RMS at 32 Ω, then the GSX 1000 is putting out 31mW. 1W is quite a bit of overkill for most headphones (and will draw more power than that from a wall socket, if you measure it), but an overkill amount of power is more versatile.

Is it possible to use the GSX1000 with Balanced TRS or Balanced XLR connectors to some AMP with Balanced TRS/XLR connectors? using the Sennheiser HD800s XLR original cable directly to the OUTPUT AMP will be enough? and using the GSX1000 connected using 3.5mm to RCA? what is the best way to use the DAC/GSX1000 with balanced XLR preferably, if not then TRS

Is this good enough?
https://www.schiit.com/products/midgard

or TOPPING A90 Discrete / A90 Headphone Amp
https://apos.audio/products/topping-a90-headphone-amp?variant=42910474371308
The GSX 1000 has a single-ended amp design. More importantly, I don’t think it has enough power on its own for an HD 800S. You can connect it a the single-ended INPUT on a more powerful discrete amp, and then connect the HD 800S to either the single-ended or balanced output of the amp you choose. For the HD 800S, I would highly recommend you consider the quality of the amp in addition to how much raw power it supplies, as it’s not difficult to find powerful enough amplifiers but the HD 800S is very revealing of the sonic character of your chain of audio devices. The new Schiit Midgard has more than enough power for the HD 800S to get by, but plenty of people of people spend more on their audio chain than the $1500 of the headphone in order to hear more of the headphone’s potential.

If we plug in the HD 800S headphones specs into the Curra-Calculator linked above (he doesn’t call it that, lol), we can see that 120 dB of sound pressure (super loud!! Only listen up to this sound for like a minute and a half per week!) is achieved at 210 mW of power.
1701730775785.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #1,517 of 1,519
I’ve only seen this when the plug is so tight that it wasn’t plugged all the way into the GSX 1000 jack, which thankfully is an easy fix (just press harder!). This can also happen in headphones with removable cables, if they’re not all the way plugged into the earcup too. That said, it is possible (though less likely) that the GSX 1000 is defective, you may be able to make a global correction in your computer’s Accessibility section.

It’s not very powerful; it’s great with something like an HD 560S and it was literally designed for the Sennheiser/EPOS gaming headsets (like the PC38X, GSP 500, or H6 Pro Open headset), but imo it’s too weak for an HD 6xx and would make it sound weird.

I think @Currawong ’s power calculator tool is very handy and you should bookmark this page:
https://www.hear.audio/2019/06/01/headphone-power-calculator/
If you scroll down to the Amplifier Calculations section, Current calculation, you will see that if you plug in 1V RMS at 32 Ω, then the GSX 1000 is putting out 31mW. 1W is quite a bit of overkill for most headphones (and will draw more power than that from a wall socket, if you measure it), but an overkill amount of power is more versatile.

The GSX 1000 has a single-ended amp design. More importantly, I don’t think it has enough power on its own for an HD 800S. You can connect it a the single-ended INPUT on a more powerful discrete amp, and then connect the HD 800S to either the single-ended or balanced output of the amp you choose. For the HD 800S, I would highly recommend you consider the quality of the amp in addition to how much raw power it supplies, as it’s not difficult to find powerful enough amplifiers but the HD 800S is very revealing of the sonic character of your chain of audio devices. The new Schiit Midgard has more than enough power for the HD 800S to get by, but plenty of people of people spend more on their audio chain than the $1500 of the headphone in order to hear more of the headphone’s potential.

If we plug in the HD 800S headphones specs into the Curra-Calculator linked above (he doesn’t call it that, lol), we can see that 120 dB of sound pressure (super loud!! Only listen up to this sound for like a minute and a half per week!) is achieved at 210 mW of power.
Thanks I realized there is another way to get the GSX 7.1 sound with the best DAC possible, we could use HeuSVi, the problem is are there any DAC's with 7.1 Surround in the windows options? or many of them are just STEREO? how could I know when buying one because there is absolutely no one even checking about this. I think for my knowlage is the Mojo 2 that I bought is only stereo, so I will need to keep using ASIO with Virtual Sound to bypass the surround, but clearly I just want to get it straight.

@Evshrug, do you know if one of the DAC's I sent you have this option? 7.1 surround in the windows sound settings? or if the EverSolo Z8 has it?

The second question is the what is the difference between the GSX and GSX-, because we have the option to boost Reverb, but we can't actually remove it, so what is actually the default on the HeSuVi, the GSX or the without reverb. it's confusing

1704688356387.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,519 of 1,519
Thanks I realized there is another way to get the GSX 7.1 sound with the best DAC possible, we could use HeuSVi, the problem is are there any DAC's with 7.1 Surround in the windows options? or many of them are just STEREO? how could I know when buying one because there is absolutely no one even checking about this. I think for my knowlage is the Mojo 2 that I bought is only stereo, so I will need to keep using ASIO with Virtual Sound to bypass the surround, but clearly I just want to get it straight.

@Evshrug, do you know if one of the DAC's I sent you have this option? 7.1 surround in the windows sound settings? or if the EverSolo Z8 has it?

The second question is the what is the difference between the GSX and GSX-, because we have the option to boost Reverb, but we can't actually remove it, so what is actually the default on the HeSuVi, the GSX or the without reverb. it's confusing

1704688356387.png
I believe HeSuVi is reverse-engineering the work of these other companies without their permission or licensing. I also don’t think it’s much a coincidence that Creative doesn’t care much about headphone surround anymore, Sennheiser / EPOS Gaming are no more, and in general the Spatial Audio space has stalled out: why invest in R&D if someone is just going to steal it? Further, I don’t know how accurate their reverse engineering is either, so I’m concerned it might give bad impressions.

It would be nice to just have an app that has everything, but realistically I think it’s too good of a wish to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back