Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Nov 8, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,501 of 1,519
I have three GSX 1000s. They have been working great, but today one of them has started having serious issues due to the micro-USB connector not connecting reliably anymore. It turns off unless the cable is held in a particular position... not a workable solution. Of course at 2.5 years old it is just out of warranty. :)

Has anyone had this happen? I see no screws on the unit, is it repairable?

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,502 of 1,519
I have three GSX 1000s. They have been working great, but today one of them has started having serious issues due to the micro-USB connector not connecting reliably anymore. It turns off unless the cable is held in a particular position... not a workable solution. Of course at 2.5 years old it is just out of warranty. :)

You can always contact customer support to see what your options are! This universal link should take you to your region’s support page, I would then try clicking the “repairs” section: http://www.sennheiser.com/service-support

EPOS Audio continues to make this model, you may try that company’s support as well:
https://service.global-e.com/?id=ebb78cbf-a31c-41e3-a403-662194b24c5c

It sounds like the pins in the USB connector were bent, which is a sad day for any computer peripheral. I don’t personally know if the port is connected to the PCB in a way that the part can easily be replaced… which is why it’s a good idea to ask! Good luck Captain!

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,503 of 1,519

I actually picked up a broken one on eBay. The solder on the micro USB connector had cracked off.

There are screws, but they are underneath both the label and rubber pad. A heat gun on low heat (like, 150C or so) can loosen up the adhesive so it can be pulled up without damage. Too much heat can damage the plastic, though.

Originally, I just added some flux behind the USB port where the soldered contacts are, and remelted the solder. This eventually failed and I recently replaced the port entirely.

This was more complex - it involved removing a small section of foam padding to clear off the backside of the PCB, and then using some Chip-Quik alloy to melt the solder without using e.g. a hot air rework station.

The rotary encoder/dial sandwich does not separate from the PCB even with the screws out and the thing disassembled. In fact, yanking too hard on it can throw the dial off its contacts (pressing it back together fixed this, but I thought I'd broken it).

Anyways, examining the backside of the USB port with magnification after removing the label / rubber pad and disassembling the unit should pretty clearly show if the solder has cracked. If that's the case, I'd suggest carefully adding some flux and remelting it. Adding more solder to the pins can cause the port to short out (it did during my first attempt).

If you do wind up getting a replacement port, this was the correct type on mine, except the contacts on the back were a little too long. I trimmed them with flush cutters before soldering, and it's been fine since: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282108904593 "3x Lot Micro USB Charging Port Charger for Nextbook Ares 8 NXA8QC116R Tablet USA" from "relyoncomputer" seller.

Here's a picture of the backside of the original USB port showing cracked solder: https://imgur.com/a/5XEypVE
A couple pics from the first repair showing the screw locations: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iRbV739w8woC3Y769
Some pics of the board / replacement port from the second and final repair: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JEo7Yt5puPLacBNQA

But, before any of this - if it's under warranty, go that route. Maybe even Sennheiser would offer to repair out of warranty, for some fee.

Also attaching a few select images to this post.

Attachments

• D8sFT1y - Imgur.png
    D8sFT1y - Imgur.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200403_191401.jpg
    IMG_20200403_191401.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210602_005718348.jpg
    PXL_20210602_005718348.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,504 of 1,519

A phone repair shop can easily repair that connector. You'll have to buy the proper connector from digikey however for them to solder it on (obviously if you have soldering experience and decent tools, you can just do it yourself). Unfortunately they have several solder pad layouts and only one of them is going to be compatible and I have no idea which one is (I bought four of them together and only one was the right one).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,505 of 1,519
hi I bought a gsx 1200, I set 7.1 in windows and 7.1 on the device turned on .. now I have some questions .. in game how should I set the sound? if it has various settings, such as stereo, headphones, 7.1 etc. should I also put 7.1 in the game? then if in windows I have set 7.1 but on the device it is 2.0 the games go on stero even if they detect the multichannel from windows?

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,506 of 1,519
hi I bought a gsx 1200, I set 7.1 in windows and 7.1 on the device turned on .. now I have some questions .. in game how should I set the sound? if it has various settings, such as stereo, headphones, 7.1 etc. should I also put 7.1 in the game? then if in windows I have set 7.1 but on the device it is 2.0 the games go on stero even if they detect the multichannel from windows?

Yes, the game must be 7.1, some games don't have that option though. If the windows is 7.1, but the device is set to 2.0, you probably will be using to play music. Some purists here will tell you to put the device in full 2.0 and 48khz to be able to listen to 2.0HD on the device, but that can be a hassle to do every time just to get HD.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,507 of 1,519
Yes, the game must be 7.1, some games don't have that option though. If the windows is 7.1, but the device is set to 2.0, you probably will be using to play music. Some purists here will tell you to put the device in full 2.0 and 48khz to be able to listen to 2.0HD on the device, but that can be a hassle to do every time just to get HD.
ok thanks for the answer .. but if a game is not so decent in 7.1, should I put 2.0 from the device or put 2.0 on device and windows?
sorry for the questions but it is not very clear .. because I play a MOBA .. and let's say that 7.1 li do not think it is very decent

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,508 of 1,519
ok thanks for the answer .. but if a game is not so decent in 7.1, should I put 2.0 from the device or put 2.0 on device and windows?
sorry for the questions but it is not very clear .. because I play a MOBA .. and let's say that 7.1 li do not think it is very decent

Leave windows always at 7.1, then choose whatever you like on device and game, the device/game must match.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,509 of 1,519
Leave windows always at 7.1, then choose whatever you like on device and game, the device/game must match.
ok so the device bypass the windows setting? Becouse most modern games check the windows' sound panel on launch and set the sound accordingly (very, very dumb). So if your windows is set to 7.1, the games will default to that.
sorry for all this question but is very confusional

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,510 of 1,519
ok so the device bypass the windows setting? Becouse most modern games check the windows' sound panel on launch and set the sound accordingly (very, very dumb). So if your windows is set to 7.1, the games will default to that.
sorry for all this question but is very confusional

I guess that if the game check windows and set to 7.1 automatically, they you better use 7.1 on device too, remember to match game/device.

If the game does not let you choose, and you still want 2.0, then you will have to set windows to 2.0 also. But I guess that this is only valid for games, when I use itunes here, I just set the device to 2.0, even though windows is 7.1, the music stream is only 2.0.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,511 of 1,519
I guess that if the game check windows and set to 7.1 automatically, they you better use 7.1 on device too, remember to match game/device.

If the game does not let you choose, and you still want 2.0, then you will have to set windows to 2.0 also. But I guess that this is only valid for games, when I use itunes here, I just set the device to 2.0, even though windows is 7.1, the music stream is only 2.0.
I assumed it was such a thing! Thanks for the answers you were very kind

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #1,512 of 1,519
recent windows updates have made the device unuseable for OBS studio / streamlabs :frowning2:

everytime I try to capture audio1 ( GSX main audio ) + audio2 ( GSX earphone ) + microphone input something breaks, microphone input stops working and/or audio1 craps out

there are some problems with discord as well, you can't have audio1 and audio2 working simultaneously during 7.1 gaming :/
played some back 4 blood beta the day before yesterday and audio1 (game audio) was totally silent, I could only hear my old l4d teammates on audio2 ...

according to my findings there are only 2 solutions so far

1) switch to 2.0 mode ( bye bye surround sound)
2) disable GSX earphone and use audio1 only (bye bye voice chat volume rocker)

I do not remember having any problems before the 21H1 update ... any other OBS users out there ??

PS : the device is always set to 7.1 48khz 16bit, 44.1 does not appear to make any difference
updating to the latest win11 + OBS version seems to finally fix this issue !

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,515 of 1,519
Is it possible to use the GSX1000 with Balanced TRS or Balanced XLR connectors to some AMP with Balanced TRS/XLR connectors? using the Sennheiser HD800s XLR original cable directly to the OUTPUT AMP will be enough? and using the GSX1000 connected using 3.5mm to RCA? what is the best way to use the DAC/GSX1000 with balanced XLR preferably, if not then TRS

Is this good enough?
https://www.schiit.com/products/midgard

or TOPPING A90 Discrete / A90 Headphone Amp
https://apos.audio/products/topping-a90-headphone-amp?variant=42910474371308

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back