Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #1,472 of 1,519
Hm...I never tried this before, sounds sketch. I won't break anything? I guess this method could work with the Sound Blaster X3 as well.

Not sure which part of this you find sketchy. This is called double amping, which many people do, be it with the GSX such as here, or with other amps which you can just do a google search on double amping. I personally have been doing so myself with my GSX 1000 & Project Ember 2.

I don't see how double amping will be dangerous or break anything, unless your chain involves some crazy frankenstein setup. There are arguments you can make regarding whether it degrades the sound quality, since you are amping everything including the noise, but that's another story entirely.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,473 of 1,519
Good morning,

I picked up a used gsx 1000 to try out with my sennheiser 599 for gaming.

I play apex legends and the gunfire is deafening at sound levels where everything else sounds clear.

I’ve done a ton of research and tried voicemeeter to apply its compressor. It worked great EXCEPT it only works in stereo.

I need to find a way of using the gsx1000 for the 7.1 but use a compressor or vst limiter or whatever.

I may be not setting it up correctly but I thought taking sound from the gsx 1000 and applying a compressor to normalize the dramatic volume differences before it got to my ears would be much easier??

Someone? Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,474 of 1,519
Good morning,

I picked up a used gsx 1000 to try out with my sennheiser 599 for gaming.

I play apex legends and the gunfire is deafening at sound levels where everything else sounds clear.

I’ve done a ton of research and tried voicemeeter to apply its compressor. It worked great EXCEPT it only works in stereo.

I need to find a way of using the gsx1000 for the 7.1 but use a compressor or vst limiter or whatever.

I may be not setting it up correctly but I thought taking sound from the gsx 1000 and applying a compressor to normalize the dramatic volume differences before it got to my ears would be much easier??

Someone? Thanks in advance.

Hi, yes, that was my first impression upon using the GSX too, at least on 7.1.

What I have been using here, and I am quite happy with the result, is a combination of EqualizerAPO, and a VST Plugin called MJUC(https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC.html), you can try the free version or any other VST plugin on the EqualizerAPO.

Heres my config:

Attachments

• IMG-1620.jpg
    IMG-1620.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,475 of 1,519
Hi, yes, that was my first impression upon using the GSX too, at least on 7.1.

What I have been using here, and I am quite happy with the result, is a combination of EqualizerAPO, and a VST Plugin called MJUC(https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC.html), you can try the free version or any other VST plugin on the EqualizerAPO.

Heres my config:
I downloaded that but how do I input it into equalizerapo? I don’t see a .dll so I am not sure how to get to that screen you show.

Thanks for your help, I really want to get this fixed.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,476 of 1,519
I downloaded that but how do I input it into equalizerapo? I don’t see a .dll so I am not sure how to get to that screen you show.

Thanks for your help, I really want to get this fixed.

Execute the EqualizerApo configuration editor, inside you will import the vstplugin. The plugin you install on a separate folder.

I’ll post a screenshot latter, its easy once you start using.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,477 of 1,519
Locate your EqualizerAPO folder, execute the Editor.exe.

There, you will find this plus sign:
Untitled.jpg

Then:
Untitled2.jpg

Click on the folder to browse for your MJUC.dll plugin.

Then click option -> embed
Untitled3.jpg

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,479 of 1,519
After reading all the comments related to the GSX 1000, I still have not found a definite answer to the following question:

In case I want to use for instance the dedicated stereo RTHS audio of CSGO, without any surround processing from the GSX, is it neccessary to switch Windows settings from 7.1 to Stereo (apart from switching to Stereo on GSX itself)? In other words does having 7.1 in Windows mess up the audio, when I want to listen to Stereo?

Thanks a lot.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,480 of 1,519
I had a similar question to CarlosCZ one, which is how is the stereo mode on the GSX when the 7.1 setting is selected on windows? I'm asking this because my planned use case for the GSX was set windows to 7.1 and then just switch modes between 2.0 and 7.1 in the GSX depending if I'm listening to music/normal pc browsing or gaming (selecting 7.1 in the game options if available).

Thanks in advance

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,482 of 1,519
This is such a strange device.

Hardware wise it’s less powerful and less advanced than my old $30 sound card, while costing 5 times as much.

Yet, despite that, it has the best binaural sound engine that I have ever heard. Maybe even the best in the world, with the exception of devices that cost upwards of 10 times as much. To me personally it is worth every cent.

I’m just left thinking what this device could have been. I would gladly pay $400 for a device that has proper hardware and this exact binaural sound engine, with this exact set of options and controls. I would even pay $400 for the exact same device if it had just an additional digital out, allowing me to bypass the built in DAC and AMP and just use it for the sound processing with a different DAC/AMP.

None of this exists though. Instead of going to something high end, they made the GSX 300, which seems to be just a worse cheaper version of the GSX 1000 with buggy software instead of the touch screen controls that the GSX 1000 has. I don't understand this.

However, I will be keeping the GSX 1000. Maybe I will get an additional AMP to make the setup a bit more powerful. It is just strange that binaural 7.1 virtual surround gets so little attention from manufacturers that this is pretty much the only viable option.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,484 of 1,519
What is the general opinion here regarding the HD mode? reading through the replies here it seems that most people talk about the binaural sound engine / 7.1 surround sound, which of course is not able to be in HD.
If you are referring to the sound quality for music, etc, it is mediocre IMO. If you aren't going to use surround sound its not a wise purchase.

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,485 of 1,519
What is the general opinion here regarding the HD mode? reading through the replies here it seems that most people talk about the binaural sound engine / 7.1 surround sound, which of course is not able to be in HD.
The HD mode enables higher than CD-quality resolution, and some people report it sounds louder as well. As a solely USB powered device, it doesn’t pair well with something like an HD 650, but with a lighter load such as a Game One or HD 58X Jubilee, there is a less restrained sound and good performance. It was, of course, designed to meet the needs of the Game One and Game Zero headsets. The output is also cleaner than a motherboard audio jack for connecting to active (built-in amp) desktop speakers via the speaker port, or a stronger wall-outlet powered amplifier if desired for headphones with a larger load.

So, does it beat every audio device on the market? No. But it does present an upgrade over a desktop or laptop integrated audio port with better EMI isolation and clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back