Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 27, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,441 of 1,519
Hello All,

I own the GSX-1000 and am starting to rethink my purchase. My understanding is that the only way you can get 7.1 DSP to activate is to set Windows to 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality). Wont changing this setting from 24 bit / 192khz or higher down to 16bit / 48.1k compress the sound of the games audio?

Another way to ask, what bitrate are most game audio produced with these days?

If games are produced with high-res audio(higher than 16bit/48.1k) are there other options that do not sacrifice high-res audio and still emulate 7.1 surround?

Thanks!
If you are worried about HD audio, I figured out some way of a solution last year I bought gsx 1200 pro. You set your audio at 44.1/16 in Windows settings and 7.1 sorroud sound, something like that if I reccal it correct. And if you use stream service to listen to lossless audio, for example Tidal, just go into the settings of streamimg audio or something like that and set it to bit perfect mode. If you set Tidal to exclusive mode it is set to a bit perfect mode I think. In this mode Tidal automaticaly changes from 44.1/16 format to 96/24 hi-res format when streaming music. And the sign on gsx changes to HD and every other setting for sorroud sound is locked out and becomes unusable in that mode and when you go out of Tidal and start playing a game on Steam for example, gsx changes mode again to 44.1/16 with all sorroud features enabled again. So this is the closest use of gsx 1000/1200 pro in sorround and HD mode without need of changing the settings in windows for every use scenario.

May 27, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,442 of 1,519
Hello All,

I own the GSX-1000 and am starting to rethink my purchase. My understanding is that the only way you can get 7.1 DSP to activate is to set Windows to 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality). Wont changing this setting from 24 bit / 192khz or higher down to 16bit / 48.1k compress the sound of the games audio?

Another way to ask, what bitrate are most game audio produced with these days?

If games are produced with high-res audio(higher than 16bit/48.1k) are there other options that do not sacrifice high-res audio and still emulate 7.1 surround?

Thanks!
Honestly, I returned my GSX after getting the Blaster X3, I found it superior at everything and you will get 7 speakers selection as well so no issues with that.

May 27, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,443 of 1,519
Aside from "hd" audio gimmicky services, nothing today goes higher than 16b@48khz, especially games. You're not going to get better audio quality by upsampling to 192khz anyways in the first place.

When you say that there is nothing today that is higher that 16b@48khz, does that also include lossless audio that is in an audio track from a movie, Dolby True HD for example? Or certain FLAC files?

May 27, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,444 of 1,519
When you say that there is nothing today that is higher that 16b@48khz, does that also include lossless audio that is in an audio track from a movie, Dolby True HD for example? Or certain FLAC files?
he must be referring to games

May 27, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,446 of 1,519
So in this case, one could argue wanting to do over 16b@48khz is not gimmicky at all, unless I am missing something.
not really gimmicky to me but in any case, even without that, I feel the GSX is outdated and offering less than the competition which costs less. I REALLY wanted to like it because it has a cool look lol, but it didn't do it for me.

May 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,447 of 1,519
not really gimmicky to me but in any case, even without that, I feel the GSX is outdated and offering less than the competition which costs less. I REALLY wanted to like it because it has a cool look lol, but it didn't do it for me.

What I cannot find in any other amp for gaming is the ability of the GSX to let me hear my mic while wearing closed backs, and this on two selectable levels of loudness. I tried using the Windows feature for hearing your mic, but it has an annoying delay (annoying once you've experienced the no-delay GSX). Are there any other ways to get that?

May 27, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,448 of 1,519
What I cannot find in any other amp for gaming is the ability of the GSX to let me hear my mic while wearing closed backs, and this on two selectable levels of loudness. I tried using the Windows feature for hearing your mic, but it has an annoying delay (annoying once you've experienced the no-delay GSX). Are there any other ways to get that?
Well I can do it with a Mic Monitoring option within the Creative labs panel, there is a VERY slight delay to it but I don't find it distracting

May 27, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,449 of 1,519
Games obviously don't provide any "HD" audio. Movies, well, if you have what it takes to play movies with dolby atmos true HD you're cetrainly not watching them on your computer monitor with a pair of cans through the GSX and a virtualizer (besides, you'll gain nothing if you manage to get your 192khz fix). Music, pure gimmick. Most regular folks will not be able to hear the difference and i doubt 99% of people who claim they do (not to mention that most of the tracks are usually upscaled placebo). There is no reason to go over 16b@48khz for regular computer use/gaming and if you want to go fancy, get yourself a real DAC. The gsx is a great product for gaming (best vss i tried so far), not so great if you want to showoff with your new pair of HD800, that's why i have a separated pair of cans and a second sound card for that.

May 27, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,450 of 1,519
Games obviously don't provide any "HD" audio. Movies, well, if you have what it takes to play movies with dolby atmos true HD you're cetrainly not watching them on your computer monitor with a pair of cans through the GSX and a virtualizer (besides, you'll gain nothing if you manage to get your 192khz fix). Music, pure gimmick. Most regular folks will not be able to hear the difference and i doubt 99% of people who claim they do (not to mention that most of the tracks are usually upscaled placebo). There is no reason to go over 16b@48khz for regular computer use/gaming and if you want to go fancy, get yourself a real DAC. The gsx is a great product for gaming (best vss i tried so far), not so great if you want to showoff with your new pair of HD800, that's why i have a separated pair of cans and a second sound card for that.
I don't pretend to tell people how they should watch movies, each one has their own preferences and freedom to do as they want. Same for what you call gimmick for music listening.
The fact is, you are paying more for the GSX while offering less than what competition has to offer and as far it having the best vss for gaming, I absolutely disagree and I have tested them all pretty much.
Too each its own.

May 27, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,451 of 1,519
I don't pretend to tell people how they should watch movies, each one has their own preferences and freedom to do as they want. Same for what you call gimmick for music listening.
The fact is, you are paying more for the GSX while offering less than what competition has to offer and as far it having the best vss for gaming, I absolutely disagree and I have tested them all pretty much.
Too each its own.
I returned the Creative X3 after some days. About the GSX 1000, it is much smaller and it is very easy to use. No software hassle during gaming. The VSS is very good, I only need it for gaming with my GSP500 headset.
To me it is worth the money. It is a very smart little device that gets the job done perfectly.

May 27, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,452 of 1,519
I returned the Creative X3 after some days. About the GSX 1000, it is much smaller and it is very easy to use. No software hassle during gaming. The VSS is very good, I only need it for gaming with my GSP500 headset.
To me it is worth the money. It is a very smart little device that gets the job done perfectly.
Not like the X3 is huge anyways and about the software I have no idea why you consider it a hassle. In fact, it actually gives a lot of features and options the GSX does not offer so to me that is a PLUS. The GSX couldn't even update firmware and the support was useless to assist or provide a manual upgrade path. I personally do not like to pay more for less but if it works for your needs then that is fine of course, we are all different.
Anyways, I am done here.
Regards

May 27, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,453 of 1,519
Not like the X3 is huge anyways and about the software I have no idea why you consider it a hassle. In fact, it actually gives a lot of features and options the GSX does not offer so to me that is a PLUS. The GSX couldn't even update firmware and the support was useless to assist or provide a manual upgrade path. I personally do not like to pay more for less but if it works for your needs then that is fine of course, we are all different.
Anyways, I am done here.
Regards
Why so bitter? I just have a different view.

May 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,454 of 1,519
Sorry my intention was not to create an argument but just trying to understand. I have owned the GSX1000 for over a year and have been happy but a friend pointed out some potential shortcomings that I was not aware of. I am not one to compromise on quality hence my questions. I know that certain games have Dolby Atmos built in and figured that other games have evolved to leverage higher bit-rate audio then what the GSX supports while using VSS. With a bit more research it appears that Dolby recommends to turn off VSS when playing dolby atmos games.

At the end of the day, I am looking for the best all in one solution for producing VSS with while also supporting HD Audio. Guess its debatable who offers the best solution for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back