Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #856 of 1,519
With any surround virtualization for headphones, there is an element of training that needs to be done, which is because they are based on generic and not personalized data. Just give it a few days and it should sound normal, if it is set up right. The issue with not using it is that the direction of sounds will be more ambiguous.

depends on the game.

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #857 of 1,519
Has the dsp on the gsx specifically been equalized for sennheiser headphones? It almost seems like it was designed to counter the sennheiser veil on the hd6xx and hd5xx series, when compared to dolby alternatives.

most likely for game zero. You don't want headphones with too much bass, and you want something with a large soundstage. Which is how most gaming headphones are designed.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #858 of 1,519
Love all the positive feedback about this device. Is it worth upgrading from a Asus Essence soundcard? Sounds like the surround emulation is alot better without reverb.

Thats personal preference. When i tried the gsx I only preferred reverb off when listening to music. Otherwise I had it on according to what type of game I was playing.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #859 of 1,519
Who needs to fix the issue with the Stereo reset, it's driving me insane...... I can't stand it. I'm not doing many restarts to test things and I need to change to 7.1 every time. argggggg stupidest bug in the whole world.

Whoever has Windows License talk to microsoft, they want a Serial and Remote control your windows to fix it. I don't have so I can't do it.

I posted a link to their chat already.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #860 of 1,519
Somebody on overclock.net pointed the fact that this bug only appear when you right click on the speaker in the tray bar as long as you entering in audio peripherals without this manipulation the 7.1 surround sound is still active.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #862 of 1,519
Also , joked around . I think if you don't hear well the surround , make sure you clean your ears for any wax , because we need to go to doctor and clean it every 6 months or a year or else your ear get too much wax inside and you can't hear properly . after cleaning the ears today I can hear much better than before , I didn't know why I don't hear the surround like I used too.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #863 of 1,519
Let me add some info on the Atmos / Stereo issue. I do not play competitive though, so I am looking for immersion, rather than absolute exact sound cues.
  • I have a GSX 1000 and an internal Asus Xonar STX on my main rig. The OS is Windows 10 latest revision.
  • Whenever the Atmos plugin is activated, on my system, the channels are reset from 7.1 to 2.0 or Stereo, on the GSX 1000 and the Xonar STX. The plugin does that. Maybe it is on purpose, because the output can only be two channel if using Atmos for headphones.
  • On reboot my system shows the same keeps 7.1 if it was selected before, so this bug is not with me thankfully.
  • I play ghost Recon Wildlands and Assasins Creed Origins reight now, I find the virtual headphone surround effects very satisfying on all VSS systems I know, Dolby headphone, Atmos, Sennheiser GTX 1000, Soundblaster Z and its predecessors. Even the razer software sounds good to me. Most onboard chip solutions from the past sounded hollow and muffled to me though.
  • I use the Xonar or GTX 1000 in stereo mode with the ATMOS plugin active, I like what I hear.
  • Headphones used are Sennheiser HD650 and Sennheiser Game One (because I love the microfone solution) The GTX 1000 drives both very well at volume 38(Game One) or 44(HD650)

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #864 of 1,519
Hi guys! New member here! I recently upgraded my gaming sound system. I have a gsx1000 on the way and a schiit jutenheim amp. I read that the gsx1000 amp is not powerful enough to drive my hd650 so im planning to connect the output of gsx1000 to the schiit jutenheim. Is that the optimal way to drive my hd650? To have the best sound experience, should i just buy another low power impedance headset to connect directly to gsx1000?

I apologize im new to audiophile world. I just want the best sound experience in gaming and flac music.

Thanks
You can connect the Jotunheim to the GSX, no problem. For Music, I would rather get a Schiit DAC then using the GSX. As good as it is for gaming the total sound quality is only medicore for music. You want to use a better DAC with the Jotunheim. And get yourself a balanced cable for the HD650 to get the most out of the Jotunheim.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #865 of 1,519
Let me add some info on the Atmos / Stereo issue. I do not play competitive though, so I am looking for immersion, rather than absolute exact sound cues.
  • I have a GSX 1000 and an internal Asus Xonar STX on my main rig. The OS is Windows 10 latest revision.
  • Whenever the Atmos plugin is activated, on my system, the channels are reset from 7.1 to 2.0 or Stereo, on the GSX 1000 and the Xonar STX. The plugin does that. Maybe it is on purpose, because the output can only be two channel if using Atmos for headphones.
  • On reboot my system shows the same keeps 7.1 if it was selected before, so this bug is not with me thankfully.
  • I play ghost Recon Wildlands and Assasins Creed Origins reight now, I find the virtual headphone surround effects very satisfying on all VSS systems I know, Dolby headphone, Atmos, Sennheiser GTX 1000, Soundblaster Z and its predecessors. Even the razer software sounds good to me. Most onboard chip solutions from the past sounded hollow and muffled to me though.
  • I use the Xonar or GTX 1000 in stereo mode with the ATMOS plugin active, I like what I hear.
  • Headphones used are Sennheiser HD650 and Sennheiser Game One (because I love the microfone solution) The GTX 1000 drives both very well at volume 38(Game One) or 44(HD650)

Atmos or sonic changing your speaker setup to 2.0 is totally normal although it renders both plugins useless because modern games do not recognize them as legit surround setup and output in plain stereo (a vss still needs a surround base to work with no matter what cooloutac says).

Why do you even use the gsx if you're only using it for stereo? While it is especially good when it comes to vss it's not exactly what i would call a great soundcard for anything else (that's why i still keep my phoebus for music and such).

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #866 of 1,519
Atmos or sonic changing your speaker setup to 2.0 is totally normal although it renders both plugins useless because modern games do not recognize them as legit surround setup and output in plain stereo (a vss still needs a surround base to work with no matter what cooloutac says).

Why do you even use the gsx if you're only using it for stereo? While it is especially good when it comes to vss it's not exactly what i would call a great soundcard for anything else (that's why i still keep my phoebus for music and such).
  • it renders both plugins useless No, I have a better immersion than only using stereo. Only important to my ears.
  • Why do you even use the gsx if you're only using it for stereo? Because I have it, like its functionality for online coop gaming with friends and my wife understands how to switch to speakers instead using my headphones as speakers. And when I like , I use the GSX 1000 in 7.1, Atmos off.
  • I do not search for the smallest sound cues to win, to me immersion is important.
  • I like to experiment, why not it is a hobby.
  • I also like to run the STX to my desktop amp for music or movies. Atmos or DH enabled. I am lucky all those HRTF algorythms work for me.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #867 of 1,519
It is useless if your goal is to have some sort of VSS, if you just want reverb/stereo expand there are cheaper solutions out there. To my ears the immersion factor is the best when i use the gsx in 7.1 mode, expanded stereo is nice when you have no choice but it's not worth paying for it.

And btw, surround is disabled in AC:Origins, no word when we can get it back.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #868 of 1,519
It is useless if your goal is to have some sort of VSS, if you just want reverb/stereo expand there are cheaper solutions out there. To my ears the immersion factor is the best when i use the gsx in 7.1 mode, expanded stereo is nice when you have no choice but it's not worth paying for it.

And btw, surround is disabled in AC:Origins, no word when we can get it back.
I know it cannot be selected in the menu of Origins or Wildlands, but acoustically it is there in my opinion. Matrixed into 2 channels and recreated by the VSS.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #870 of 1,519

Users who are viewing this thread

Back