Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #841 of 1,519
You'll be talking about games with good audio engines, design and implementation, not any sort of inbuilt, hidden VSS solution.

You're getting good soundstage, imaging, separation and audio cues with them, but it's still unprocessed stereo.

In BF4, "Loud speakers" setting which you enjoy is just the game sound with greater dynamic range and less compression than the other speaker settings.

Try "Headphones" setting - has even higher dynamic range and even less compression (either are still plain old stereo, no processing), just that "headphones" offers the highest quality of sound from the game (not sure on the new Logitech Headphone setting, may be higher again)

Headphones sounds too tinny and less powerful. The reason most people would not use loud speakers with their headphone settings, is the same reasons they complain about 3rd party vss solutions. too muddy, muffled, etc... But with the game zeros large speakers sounds amazing. I no longer need the gsx to make them punch cause it does it all by itself. These settings are highly dependent on what headphones you are using.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #843 of 1,519
I just explained they all have for the past 20 years. all fps games anyways. called all diff names over the years. Probably other genres too.

And I'm not buying the thing that some people hear sounds diff ways or that half the population has an imbalance like the above poster is pretending to believe. But I do understand its all subjective and based on tastes.

and I have had the taste of listening to stereo music upmixed to surround channel speakers for almost 20 years now. And i have been an fps gamer all of the internets live and watched that genres sound evolution. EA DICE is on another level. Best sound in a game to date with or without the gsx.

As I said the only thing the gsx does for me is add immersiveness to rpg games like fallout and witcher which only have direct channel mapping it seems.

With any surround virtualization for headphones, there is an element of training that needs to be done, which is because they are based on generic and not personalized data. Just give it a few days and it should sound normal, if it is set up right. The issue with not using it is that the direction of sounds will be more ambiguous.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #844 of 1,519
With any surround virtualization for headphones, there is an element of training that needs to be done

He has a hearing imbalance - consumer surround virtualization is not going to work for him (edit: as intended) full stop

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #846 of 1,519
He's not deaf - but enough of an imbalance (which your brain will have adapted to/for over the years) will throw out the DSP algorithms, making the resultant experience pretty much inline with his complaints

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #847 of 1,519
Has the dsp on the gsx specifically been equalized for sennheiser headphones? It almost seems like it was designed to counter the sennheiser veil on the hd6xx and hd5xx series, when compared to dolby alternatives.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #848 of 1,519
Doubt it very much.

If they were going to do anything like that they'd more likely have used a more powerful amp that'd suit the 300ohm "6" series more than the 150ohm they recommend.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #849 of 1,519
Love all the positive feedback about this device. Is it worth upgrading from a Asus Essence soundcard? Sounds like the surround emulation is alot better without reverb.

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #850 of 1,519
The device is awesome - for me - best virtual surround I've tried, hands down. (tried/have pretty much all the store bought ones)

If you have the time and inclination to narrow down what works for you - have a read/try of the stuff in this link

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...nd_virtualization_on/?st=jaudn9g4&sh=5298eeb8

It's not so much "how good is this unit?" as opposed to "which VSS solution works best for me?"

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #851 of 1,519
The device is awesome - for me - best virtual surround I've tried, hands down. (tried/have pretty much all the store bought ones)

If you have the time and inclination to narrow down what works for you - have a read/try of the stuff in this link

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...nd_virtualization_on/?st=jaudn9g4&sh=5298eeb8

It's not so much "how good is this unit?" as opposed to "which VSS solution works best for me?"

Thats really cool! Will check it out. Really no need for the device then when you have a AMP and a good soundcard from before as you can do it all through software.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #852 of 1,519
Not as good as a hardware solution, but a good approximation of what you'll experience.

Will at least give you a hint what way to go

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #853 of 1,519
Hi guys! New member here! I recently upgraded my gaming sound system. I have a gsx1000 on the way and a schiit jutenheim amp. I read that the gsx1000 amp is not powerful enough to drive my hd650 so im planning to connect the output of gsx1000 to the schiit jutenheim. Is that the optimal way to drive my hd650? To have the best sound experience, should i just buy another low power impedance headset to connect directly to gsx1000?

I apologize im new to audiophile world. I just want the best sound experience in gaming and flac music.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #854 of 1,519
Hi guys! New member here! I recently upgraded my gaming sound system. I have a gsx1000 on the way and a schiit jutenheim amp. I read that the gsx1000 amp is not powerful enough to drive my hd650 so im planning to connect the output of gsx1000 to the schiit jutenheim. Is that the optimal way to drive my hd650? To have the best sound experience, should i just buy another low power impedance headset to connect directly to gsx1000?

I apologize im new to audiophile world. I just want the best sound experience in gaming and flac music.

Thanks

Quite interested to hear your experiences with it as i have a HD650 also and wondering if GSX1000 is anything better. I tried the Sennheiser GSX 7.1 emulation through software and i really didnt like it, but i bet the hardware is quite different.
I even emailed Sennheiser to hear theyre recommendations and they said GSX 1000 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back