Sennheiser 598s or Grados?
Aug 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Does anyone know any reputable source to buy the alessandro ms1i's from? It seems as if they are not on amazon.

The only reputable source to buy Alessandro's is from Alessandro...
Here is the link:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

hint:
[size=small]MS-1 = Music Series One w/mini original - $99[/size]
[size=small]MS-1i = M[/size][size=small]usic Series One w/mini 2009 version - $109[/size]

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
[size=10pt]As always it really depends on ones preference. I only listen to Metal and I could not stand Grado 80i. Too annoying in treble region, congested mids , bass shy, and old sounding in general(low resolution). [/size]

[size=10pt]HD598 is not ideal solution for metal either but everything is better than Grado…IMO of course. [/size]

Agreed the 598 is a little too tame for metal (or anything that requires speed). TC, you can always try to EQ the bass. Not a bad solution. The bass does have a tight punch to it, and good extension with an amp. I really love these for alternative rock. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #21 of 29
Thanks for all of your recommendations. The only metal I really listen to is metallica but I am mostly an alternative/ light rock guy. I am somewhat all over the place for what I listen to :). NimbleTurtle, did you mean you perfer the Sennheiser hd598s for alternative?

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for all of your recommendations. The only metal I really listen to is metallica but I am mostly an alternative/ light rock guy. I am somewhat all over the place for what I listen to :). NimbleTurtle, did you mean you perfer the Sennheiser hd598s for alternative?

Hmm well alternative rock is a very diverse genre. But I'll just tell you right now as I'm listening to the "In Rainbows" album, I don't think any headphone could sound better. The sheer soundstage, midrange, and non-fatiguing but energetic treble really makes the music come alive. Also these are amazing for live recordings and female vocals. Listening to Kimbra's "cameo lover" (live version on youtube) is incredible. 

I listen to a couple Metallica, AC/DC, and Megadeth... the classic metal stuff. I guess for those genres, it CAN lack a bit of speed and energy. So no, the 598s aren't ideal for everything but they aren't BAD at anything. In fact, I'd say they are nearly above average with all genres. 

I was a bit disappointed by its bass initially but only because I came from bass boosted earbuds before I tried this. Since then, my mind really started to cope with the overall balance of the sound spectrum. The bass never leaks into the mids, which is a HUGE plus. That was my main problem with something like the ATH-M50s. And no headphone really executes bass very well anyways, just by sheer design limitations. Get speakers if you want great bass reproduction. For headphones, you should look into other priorities.That's why I can live with the 598's bass, which btw is actually quite amazing considering its soundstage width and depth. 

But try the Grado SR-60s. I did enjoy them for fast paced music, though their treble and comfort annoyed me over time. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
The Beyer DT770's have plenty of bass.
More bass by far than any other headphone you mentioned.
In my view, they have too much bass, tend to therefore sound somewhat muddy
and I don't recommend them (except possibly to bassheads).

I've found the 770's (even 80 ohm) are power-hungry, and they only get muddy if the source can't drive them properly. A good USB audio interface is way better than an iPod or laptop audio jack.

Just about anything can drive my SR60's to much louder levels than I can stand. :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

The Beyer DT770's have plenty of bass.
More bass by far than any other headphone you mentioned.
In my view, they have too much bass, tend to therefore sound somewhat muddy
and I don't recommend them (except possibly to bassheads).

Quote:

I've found the 770's (even 80 ohm) are power-hungry, and they only get muddy if the source can't drive them properly. A good USB audio interface is way better than an iPod or laptop audio jack.

Just about anything can drive my SR60's to much louder levels than I can stand. :)

Muddy - yes, that's the word I used; could have been more accurate and nuanced in my description there
Simply put, I just find that the DT770's have too much bass.
IMO of course.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #25 of 29
I may be able to try the Beyerdynamic dt770s and Sennheiser hd 598s at a local store! Right now I am leaning towards the hd 598s because I am more on the light side of the alternative spectrum. If I do not enjoy the heavier music, I can always buy the sr60is for a "fun" headphone. I was also wondering what headphone amplifier is highly recommended for the hd 598s. I have been looking at the Fiio e7s because I would like a DAC for my rca sound system pugged into my computer. This way I can also use it as a DAC and an amp. Any recommendations?

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
I may be able to try the Beyerdynamic dt770s and Sennheiser hd 598s at a local store! Right now I am leaning towards the hd 598s because I am more on the light side of the alternative spectrum. If I do not enjoy the heavier music, I can always buy the sr60is for a "fun" headphone. I was also wondering what headphone amplifier is highly recommended for the hd 598s. I have been looking at the Fiio e7s because I would like a DAC for my rca sound system pugged into my computer. This way I can also use it as a DAC and an amp. Any recommendations?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

That's probably the best review of several amps I've seen yet. The FiiO E7 is a very good amp/ dac for the price imo. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 29
I will most likely go with the e11 for the hd598s if I get them. They are well liked by many and would suit my budget. I have another question though. Is the Asus Xonar Essence sound card worth the $150 if I listen from my computer a large amount?

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
[size=10pt]As always it really depends on ones preference. I only listen to Metal and I could not stand Grado 80i. Too annoying in treble region, congested mids , bass shy, and old sounding in general(low resolution). [/size]

[size=10pt]HD598 is not ideal solution for metal either but everything is better than Grado…IMO of course. [/size]

Everything is better than Grado?

I do not agree with you, at all.
You should try Grado headphones on good (strong) amplifier. Grado headphones have tight and very strong low end when they are properly amplified. And miles away from mellow Senheisers. Also mids are not shy. Mids are sharp and the strongest point in Grado lineup (transparency). Grado liks current. A lots of current. So 95% pocket amps (especially those with 9V batteries) in B class or AB class won't drive them properly at all. Use desk amplifier with 100 VA toroid and output transistors biased in A class (for 32 Ohm you need 90-120 mA DC current in A class) and then, say your impression.

My opinion is that, if someone wants to listen bassy music without amplifier he should by Sennheiser.
Grado is for those who will amp them properly.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
I will most likely go with the e11 for the hd598s if I get them. They are well liked by many and would suit my budget. I have another question though. Is the Asus Xonar Essence sound card worth the $150 if I listen from my computer a large amount?

Try to find good external DAC/AMP and forget fancy Xonar/Blaster/etc gadgets. PC cards have good analog output section but problem is if PSU in your computer makes EMC noises or not. If it does, your XONAR will behave worse than hand made DAC/AMP soldered with left hand, on rusty metal plate. New computers are worse than older because they are filled with 100W processors, 300W graphic cards and so on... Lots of loads that demand large current and make noises (supplies that send large current in impulses - the way in which processor works, for example)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back