Sennheiser 448 vs 438 vs 428
Dec 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #137 of 154
i wonder if their noise cancelling was any good since they are closed? cos the HD201 is also closed but that just doesnt help at all

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #138 of 154
anyone listened to the beats studio by dr. dre? i listen to a decent amount of rap/hip-hop/R&B, and really like the amount of bass those headphones put out. However, the mid and high tones sound very muddy and not clear at all, therefore I returned them. not worth $300. how would the bass from a pair of hd438's compare with the dre's? after hours of looking at reviews and doing research, I feel like they are my best option for less than ~$100....unless anyone has another suggestion?
by the way, thank you to everybody contributing to this thread.....extremely helpful.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #140 of 154
Has anybody ever had/compared all three at the same time? Specifically, I'm interested in how the HD428 compares to the HD448. The HeadRoom charts (never paragons of accuracy) seem to indicate similar tonality between the two. Even if this is so, a lot of other factors contribute to the overall sound, so I'm interested in anybody's actual auditioning experience. How much does one give up (and where) by going with the HD428 over the HD448?

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #141 of 154

Quote:
Has anybody ever had/compared all three at the same time? Specifically, I'm interested in how the HD428 compares to the HD448. The HeadRoom charts (never paragons of accuracy) seem to indicate similar tonality between the two. Even if this is so, a lot of other factors contribute to the overall sound, so I'm interested in anybody's actual auditioning experience. How much does one give up (and where) by going with the HD428 over the HD448?

I know it has been a bit since the post, but...

My thoughts of the 448 reside here.  I have only briefly demoed the 428 on the floor at a best buy so I have no way to compare, unfortunately.

Maybe this will at least give you an idea of the 448.... I kinda have a soft spot for that headphone

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #142 of 154
If the graphs are marginally credible, it looks as thought the battle between the 428 and 448 come down to the case and the extra cable. It is a shame that the most attractive pair, in terms of frequency response (and velour pads), the 438, look like something you'd buy at Big Lots.

I like the understated appearance of the 428s and can't help but wonder if the bass roll-off they share with the 448 might be a good thing. After all, closed cans generally benefit/suffer from acoustic amplification.

Exit question: How does the bass response of the 428/448 compare (in quantity) to that of the HD 5XX line?

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #143 of 154
I've got the Sennheiser HD438, my first not-so-cheap headphones.

It's comfortable to wear but the velour pads make the headphones feel very warm, since it's always 29-30+ deg C where I'm from.

It's a sturdy pair IMO, the plastic doesn't feel like it's weak or anything. I've knocked the top of the headphones (the headband?) on overhead hand holds many times before. It sounds like it's made of good plastic, so I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of these headphones.

< - overhead hand holds in trains.

The grip on your head is pretty loose though, and this goes for 448/438/428.

I can't say much about the sound quality of these cans since I'm not really knowledgeable in that area, but I think it was money well spent, based on the durability and comfort. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #144 of 154
Thank God I ran into this website,for the past 5 days Im looking for some good headphones and I narrow it to Sennheiser HD 418 and 438 and I cant decide,Im losing my mind!

Im a fan of techno,all kinds of electronics but I love to hear some other types of music  and I love good BASS,I mean I dont want it to be strong like it is with Sony MDR XB models but I want it to be better than  it is in cheap headphones like  Philips SHP 2500 and SHP 2000 models!

Is there a big SOUND quality difference between HD 418 and 438?  And is there a huge BASS difference between HD 448 and HD 438,418

I would really appreciate if someone reply to my question because I cant decide which one to buy. Im desperate ! :frowning2: 

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #146 of 154
HD500 is open.
HD4*8 is closed.

And you probably said they suck because they're the cheap
"teen-ish" looking sennheiser headphones that aren't really
Sennheiser's trademark.

Boo you.

The bass on HD448 is weak compared to the bass on HD438.
HD438 isn't much better than HD418 in terms of bass, but better
in other ways. I'm bad at describing sounds, so you should
probably go and test them out yourself at a store. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #147 of 154

Quote:
If the graphs are marginally credible, it looks as thought the battle between the 428 and 448 come down to the case and the extra cable. It is a shame that the most attractive pair, in terms of frequency response (and velour pads), the 438, look like something you'd buy at Big Lots.
I like the understated appearance of the 428s and can't help but wonder if the bass roll-off they share with the 448 might be a good thing. After all, closed cans generally benefit/suffer from acoustic amplification.
Exit question: How does the bass response of the 428/448 compare (in quantity) to that of the HD 5XX line?

The exit question was never answered - The HD448 has more bass than the HD595, but then again, the 595 was REALLY lacking

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #148 of 154
Hey nice to meet ya all, i'm a newbie here, i need a help..
i have 428, and i have a plan to sell it and buy 448.. is it worth enough? i like accoustic music or audiophile..
for basshead headphone, i already had AKG 518 LE.. so i didn't care about the bass as it didn't reduce the "point" of the song..
for staging, which one is better? 428 or 448? 

sorry for bad english, i'm not too good in english :D

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #149 of 154

They're almost the same, not worth it.  Just save your money for something else.
Quote:
Hey nice to meet ya all, i'm a newbie here, i need a help..
i have 428, and i have a plan to sell it and buy 448.. is it worth enough? i like accoustic music or audiophile..
for basshead headphone, i already had AKG 518 LE.. so i didn't care about the bass as it didn't reduce the "point" of the song..
for staging, which one is better? 428 or 448? 

sorry for bad english, i'm not too good in english :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back