Sennheiser 448 vs 438 vs 428
Nov 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 154

UnD

New Head-Fier
Since i've searched and searched, and i haven't found this kind of topic, i'd like to know your opinions about those 3 kind of cans.

I got another post in which im searching good headphones to buy, and well, i'd like you to help me and other people and compare those 3 headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

If possible, i'd like you to tell which ones are "better" in each spec or each fact, and -why-, which are better for listening to any kind of music and -why-

smily_headphones1.gif
thank you very much !!!

EDIT: Comparison :
sinttulo1zo.jpg

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD448

I suggest using a search engine, for example Google. And search Head-Fi for "HD448", "HD438", "HD428".

oh, i forgot to say that i'm just a noob about this things
frown.gif
i mean i dont know if its better to have more "Ohms" and this kind of concepts :'( that's why i ask here a little comparison, so i can buy the one that fits on me hehe.

I'd like to say that i had the website you linked me, and more ones, that say that (shotly) 448 = HQ sound 438 = Natural sound and 428 = Bass targetted sound

But there should be many other things that should differ each other, coz they differ 20€ each one, 448>438>428 for 20-30€

thanks!

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 154
Quote:

OK, so while you're reading up on those...

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

And what will you be using these headphones for... types of music... gaming... movies... etc... ?

First of all, i edited first post with the info you provided me, so you and other ppl can watch it and compare easier and faster (Thank you!!!)

-Sound Card: Realtek ALC660 @ Intel 82801 HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller

-Other equipment ill plug: Notebook, Mp3 player, or mobile phone (Sony Ericson X1 Xperia)

But mostly on Notebook, whose soundcard i posted before
smily_headphones1.gif

Ill use them especially for listening to music, i mean, i play games, etc. but i want headphones mainly for music, i dont care 100% on game sound etc.

Btw, i MOSTLY listen to electro house, electro, techno, and all this kind of music, i rarely use them for other kind.

I posted the image up, hope you can tell me what's better hehe :'( coz i dont know
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 154
The hd438 would be your best bet for your listening habits as the 448 is lean in the bass by my experience, and the HD 428 has the exact same frequency response curve as the 448. The 438 should sound fuller in the bass, but still detailed in the highs and mids. This series really shines however, with a good amplifier, such as headroom's total bithead/airhead series. I hope this helps.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 154
Are you open to buying other headphones or only one of these? And what's your budget for buying headphones?

Most seem to prefer closed headphones for the music you listen to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, i MOSTLY listen to electro house, electro, techno, and all this kind of music, i rarely use them for other kind.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 154
i can buy another kind of headphones 1Time, but i'd like them to seem like those in appearance, i mean, solid, non-portable, etc. i can spend almost 100-180€ for them.

For the moment i think i'm taking the 438's
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 154
If choosing between these 3, FWIR, I would go with the HD438, which can be portable or used at home. But I also would want a DAC / amp for it, which seems to be within your budget. I suggest also reading and posting in Head-Fi's computer forum regarding a DAC / amp.

Edit:
A better way of going about this may be to buy the headphones, burn them in for a week through your laptop, and then decide whether you want to upgrade to an DAC / amp.

Quote:

i can buy another kind of headphones 1Time, but i'd like them to seem like those in appearance, i mean, solid, non-portable, etc. i can spend almost 100-180€ for them.

For the moment i think i'm taking the 438's
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 154
Quote:

If choosing between these 3, FWIR, I would go with the HD438, which can be portable or used at home. But I also would want a DAC / amp for it, which seems to be within your budget. I suggest also reading and posting in Head-Fi's computer forum regarding a DAC / amp.

Edit:
A better way of going about this may be to buy the headphones, burn them in for a week through your laptop, and then decide whether you want to upgrade to an DAC / amp.

sorry for another question, i've read the thread about "burning" and i rly dont understand what's exactly this.. its just putting music and letting the headphones on the table for hours and hours? :/

and about dac/amp, im gonna read right now the post about it ^^ thanks !!

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 154
Right, lots of info in the burn-in sticky. A simple way to handle burn-in that I suggest for the HD238: play a variety of music at a loud level for a week. Cover the headphones up with towels / blankets or put it in a drawer, whatever, so the noise isn't bothersome. I usually use radio music and change the station every so often.

Quote:

sorry for another question, i've read the thread about "burning" and i rly dont understand what's exactly this.. its just putting music and letting the headphones on the table for hours and hours? :/

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 154
Quote:

Right, lots of info in the burn-in sticky. A simple way to handle burn-in that I suggest for the HD238: play a variety of music at a loud level for a week. Cover the headphones up with towels / blankets or put it in a drawer, whatever, so the noise isn't bothersome. I usually use radio music and change the station every so often.

i havent read what im going to ask: when in the sticky it appears that ppl burn it from 100hours to 200, or a week, etc. he means ALL day+night? or how long should i put (for a week) my headphones at max volume "burning" every day?

i think im getting HD 438, ill burn them and after that ill continue reading about dac/amps, much information in not much time
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 154
It's common for different lengths of burn-in to be recommended for different headphones. FWIR, a week of continuous play should be sufficient for the HD238, perhaps as little as 4 days if using additional amplification. As an aside, you may even see a need for an additional burn-in if / when switching between not using additional amplification and using additional amplification. I suggest the volume be slightly louder than the loudest volume you can comfortably listen to for a couple minutes. It's not necessary and perhaps not even desirable for it to be extremely loud. Refer to the burn-in sticky for more info.

Quote:

i havent read what im going to ask: when in the sticky it appears that ppl burn it from 100hours to 200, or a week, etc. he means ALL day+night? or how long should i put (for a week) my headphones at max volume "burning" every day?

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 154
Quote:

It's common for different lengths of burn-in to be recommended for different headphones. FWIR, a week of continuous play should be sufficient for the HD238, perhaps as little as 4 days if using additional amplification. As an aside, you may even see a need for an additional burn-in if / when switching between not using additional amplification and using additional amplification. I suggest the volume be slightly louder than the loudest volume you can comfortably listen to for a couple minutes. It's not necessary and perhaps not even desirable for it to be extremely loud. Refer to the burn-in sticky for more info.

ye i understand, but the question (that doesnt appear on the burn-in stick) is, if those "two weeks of burning in" means two weeks 24hours a day, or two weeks X hours a day, and what's the value of X?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 154
If not specified otherwise, burn-in referred to in hours, days, weeks is continuous.

Quote:

ye i understand, but the question (that doesnt appear on the burn-in stick) is, if those "two weeks of burning in" means two weeks 24hours a day, or two weeks X hours a day, and what's the value of X?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back