Sen HD600 vs HD650????
Aug 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody who hangs out at head-fi is familiar with both granodemostasa and mulveling. They're good guys and have great ears, and despite their personal tastes and particular headphone pleasures you can use their comments and advice to build your own systems or collections.

I think what they say about the 600 vs. the 650 is absolutely correct.

And yet, despite voting for the 650 (I think that's what I ended up doing!
blink.gif
), I find myself just as often, nowadays more often, preferring the sound of the 600.

It's very hard here to prefer a "lesser" or technically less accomplished can, but I think, in the case of the HD600, it's possible to do so. With pleasure. Because it may provide more pleasure to certain people.

Very good point. There seems to be an elite element at times on headfi that there is this hierarchy and that you have to like what some say is the best and frankly this has nothing to do with enjoyment.

It is not unique to the HD600 either - I usually prefer a few headphones that are a fraction of the cost of the most expensive out there. I think some get caught up in technical stuff and spend most of their time trying to prove how it one ups another. The HD650 balanced out of the best amps still sounded like a veiled HD650 with slightly more controlled bass to me. The Senn HD600 still fits my taste. Who cares about slightly more grain in the midrange when it just has the right tone?

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 65
Rob, great points.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?:

At the end of a month or so of intense HD650 use, I find myself being a bit bored with headphones, and with music in general. Just a bit. Ennui.

At the end of a month or so of mostly-HD600 use, I feel enthusiastic about headphones, headphone amps, and music in general.

I wonder what's going on there? Does anybody else notice that sort of thing, not just in terms of the 600 vs. the 650, but in terms of other more "boring" vs. more "exciting" cans?

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good point. There seems to be an elite element at times on headfi that there is this hierarchy and that you have to like what some say is the best and frankly this has nothing to do with enjoyment.

It is not unique to the HD600 either - I usually prefer a few headphones that are a fraction of the cost of the most expensive out there. I think some get caught up in technical stuff and spend most of their time trying to prove how it one ups another. The HD650 balanced out of the best amps still sounded like a veiled HD650 with slightly more controlled bass to me. The Senn HD600 still fits my taste. Who cares about slightly more grain in the midrange when it just has the right tone?

I have a similar situation with the Alessandro MS-1 and MS2i. The MS2i is superior to the MS-1 in every category imaginable.(ok; exageration, but, you know....)anyway; MS-1 has a smaller soundstage than MS2i and works better for really intimate "on the stage or in the studio" kinds of music. For the tighter stuff; the MS-1 just fits better.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 65
greggf, Yes. I've experience that. And that is partly what I am eluding to. That's also the reason why I sometimes choose my GS-1000 over my K-1000 simply because it brings life to the music more which makes me want to listen more and get excited about audio and music.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 65
I have owned both and have heard both in modest and high end set-ups. FWIW, I still own my HD600's and sold the 650's. The reason I kept the 600's is that they are more neutral that the 650's. The 650's have bass to spare but the 600's don't hide flaws in recordings.

I listen to tons of music and (re)master some stuff as well and the 600's are more aptly suited for this job. The 650's are more of a fun 'phone with a lot warmth and bass packed into it. However, I want to hear what's on the recording so I will pick the 600's for double checking what I have done with my Grado HP-2's.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #36 of 65
"Who cares about slightly more grain in the midrange when it just has the right tone?"

Yes. Exactly. Why is "less grain" a more elevated concern than "right tone"?

I think some people automatically assume that more expensive, newer, different, or "flagship" cans are superior.

Some of our otherwise very best listeners fall into that trap. I'm thinking of Tyll, Wes Phillips, and the like. A kind of contagion based upon gear rather than music sets in.

It's all very arbitrary.

Yet fun..............

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 65
J-pak, You're avatar is losing it's color. What happened?
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #40 of 65
My 600 has collected some dust... I like the HD650 more, its warmer, like home...

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #41 of 65
I can't vote yet. Even though I have the 650's, and have heard the 600's many times, really haven't compared them in a kind of face-off way side by side.

I've thought of purchasing the 600's, installed two headphone outs in my Dynahi after all. I could drive both sets simultaneously and do some comparisons that way. Some might say driving two headphones in parallel, even identical headphones, changes the impedance/inductance/capacitance that the amp is driving, ultimately changing the amp-headphone synergy and the sound. But that's a topic for a different thread, sorry
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #42 of 65
Heard both, own one, my vote...650's.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 65
Had both, sold the 600s.

Now that I'm finally getting my home rig in order I'm having thoughts of getting the 600s again. I essentially have a pair via my tweaked 580s (600 grills, Oehlbach cable) but might round out the family just to see which of the 3 I ultimately prefer.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #45 of 65
I currently own and love both of them for different reasons.
I like them so much that I sold all my other headphones, including Beyerdynamic 880/990, and AKG K701's. They both suit my own personal tastes, gear, and musical selections better than any of the others mentioned.
I now use a Stefan Audio Art Equinox for both of them, and enjoy them both.
When I want a livelier sound, and when I listen to darker recordings, I reach for the 600's.
When I want to relax or listen to mainstream recordings, I reach for the 650's.
Overall though, I still listen to the 650 about 80% of the time.
The way I see it now, the 650's and the 600's are my permanent cans.
The Beyers and AKG's are really nice, but I like the full bodied, involving sound that the 650, and to a lesser degree that the 600's provide.
Its hard for me to believe now, but when I first bought the 650's, I wanted to sell them before any of the other mentioned cans.
I was very disappointed in their sound to say the least.
But when I upgraded my source, amp, and bought the Equinox, I knew these were keepers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back