Sen HD600 vs HD650????
Aug 11, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own and love both of them for different reasons.
I like them so much that I sold all my other headphones, including Beyerdynamic 880/990, and AKG K701's. They both suit my own personal tastes, gear, and musical selections better than any of the others mentioned.
I now use a Stefan Audio Art Equinox for both of them, and enjoy them both.
When I want a livelier sound, and when I listen to darker recordings, I reach for the 600's.
When I want to relax or listen to mainstream recordings, I reach for the 650's.
Overall though, I still listen to the 650 about 80% of the time.
The way I see it now, the 650's and the 600's are my permanent cans.
The Beyers and AKG's are really nice, but I like the full bodied, involving sound that the 650, and to a lesser degree that the 600's provide.
Its hard for me to believe now, but when I first bought the 650's, I wanted to sell them before any of the other mentioned cans.
I was very disappointed in their sound to say the least.
But when I upgraded my source, amp, and bought the Equinox, I knew these were keepers!

Totally agree.. I was disapointed too.. Overly dark, veiled, distant.. I didn't understand how the 595s were so much better sounding..Especially at the price point. Then I started to upgrade & the 595s couldn't keep now.. Now, looking back, I'm so glad I didn't get rid of my 650's.. & would easily buy them again if I had too..

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #47 of 65
Yeah, me too!
Now, I am looking to go balanced on the 650 in the near future.
I feel like they would improve even more, and would impress me even more than they do now.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #48 of 65
Better be 650.. i have one with an equinox coming in a week or so

Edit: A little worried though, a tube DAC and a tube amp.. will it make it overly warm and sluggish?
Would something like a RAL cable help it out in this department?

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #49 of 65
Had the 580, 600 and 650 and decided to sell the 600. 650 is definitely my favorite with more warmth and balance; it can be very intoxicating. I find the 580 to be a nice compliment, however.

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #50 of 65
My fully balanced DREAM system would consist of the following:
1. HD650.
2. Balanced Equinox replacement cables.
3. Headamp GS-X or RSA Apache amp.
4. Ayre CX-7e CD player.
I guess I will keep dreaming on.............

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A sign that my headphone journey has ended, I've heard them all and settled on two
tongue.gif

j-pak, have you spent time with the ps-1s, ed9s, and r-10s? and while i'm asking what about the top rated 'stats, eg. baby and senior orphs, stax O1s and O2s etc. what are your impressions of those cans?

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #53 of 65
My balanced Equinox LE came in yesterday after a wait of about 3 months. The cable is still burning in, but so far I'm very impressed from what I already heard. Time to switch back to my Senns after months of about 100% GS1000 hearing?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #55 of 65
600's are great headphones but my vote goes to the 650's.

I have owned my 650's for 3 and a half years and are probably still the headphones I reach for the most. I dread to think how many hours I have clocked up on them. I treated them to a new set of pads not so long back and they feel like new again.

I can't imagine not owning 650's, I would miss them alot.

My personal preference towards the 650's is based on their warmth, bass weight and more refined treble. I also find the 600's are a bit more laid back than the 650's.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #56 of 65
Originally had the hd600's and loved them.

Sold them due to the hype surrounding the hd650's.

Purchased the hd650's and hated them.

Sold the hd650's.

Purchased another pair of hd600's and now I am happy again.
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #57 of 65
Over the years:
Bought 600's -- sold them.
Bought 600's again -- sold them again.
Bought 650's -- sold them.
Bought 650's again -- sold them again.
Bought 580's -- still got 'em!
When the new HDxxx's come out, I will definitely try them.

EDIT: So many peeps seem to love their 650's so much, that I am (Heaven help me!) ready to give them yet *another* try, figuring, maybe I missed something about them, earlier?
My wallet hates Head-Fi....
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #59 of 65
this is totally system dependant. My feeling is the HD650 goes better with tubes and vinyl and the HD600 better with solid state and digital sources. Also, I think defoaming the HD650 and the Zu cable brightens up the HD650s, which IMHO is their main weakness.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the follwoing:

HD-600 in a more modest setup.
HD-650 in a more highend setup.

This is my exact experience, at least with my gear, not that I consider any of my stuff highend, more like highend-midfi.

I have and like both. I prefer the 600s with my bedroom rig(s), and transportable sources and amps. They always sound good, though obviously better with better setups. Once you've heard the 650s with higher-end gear (synergy also figured in), it's hard to listen to them in lesser setups. It mostly shows up in the bass, which, when paired with the right source/amp is fast, tight, clean and deep. It seems soft and heavy by comparison in, as Purk so nicely phrased it, more modest rigs, or mine at least. When using my main home rig, the 650s share equal time with my R10s and K1000.

If I suddenly had to sell most of my gear and could only keep one can, assuming I had to sell my more expensive cans, if I could keep my main source and amp, I'd keep the 650s and be perfectly happy. Yet, if priced new, that setup would be run into the $6000 range. If I had to sell those as well, I'd keep a Denon DCP-100 as a source, the Larocco PRII and the 600s, and, again, be perfectly happy, but for under $1000. That's saying something....hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back