Sen HD600 vs HD650????
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #16 of 65
Still like the more balanced HD600. I'm not into the dark sound. The HD650 midrange is more enjoyable/refined though.

Not really a fan of either anymore though.

The next Senn phones should be interesting to me since they are finally changing the design.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 65
I prefer the follwoing:

HD-600 in a more modest setup.
HD-650 in a more highend setup.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 65
Considering the fact that the HD650 is so loved and has been out so long, the HD600 is definitely holding it's own. I'm surprised and don't feel so lonely preferring the HD600
600smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 65
Give me the HD600s. I don't need my highs toned down or my bass boosted. As has been said, the 600s are the more neutral phones and I prefer that. When the source sounds good, the 600s let it shine through. When the source is bad, the 600s don't make it sound any better.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 65
I am not voting yet in this poll. I own a pair of the 600s, and have heard the 650s. The 650s to my ears are not superior enough to the 600s for me to justify spending the extra dough on them.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of any of those so-called "high-end" headphones from other brands: They commit a sin of sounding too bright, and sometimes way too bright, for my tastes.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 65
I've always preferred the 600s. However, I haven't had the chance to listen to the 650s in my current setup, but would really love to.

I've listened to the 650s in some pretty awesome setups, and while I think they are a great, fun sounding can, I really prefer the 600s for their more balanced overall sound. I never get tired of listening to them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #24 of 65
If "more balanced sound" is in question, the K701/DT880 do a much better job than the HD600 IMO. The HD650 on the other hand is a creature of its own that is not endangered to be rivaled by that couple.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #25 of 65
I guess one thing I like about the HD600 is it's ease of sounding good with almost any system. Ain't no high-falootin exotic system needed to back up these cans. "Synergy" seems to be a word with far less meaning.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess one thing I like about the HD600 is it's ease of sounding good with almost any system. Ain't no high-falootin exotic system needed to back up these cans. "Synergy" seems to be a word with far less meaning.

I think that applies more to the MS-2. The HD-600, just like any of its close siblings, can sound less-than-ideal with some lesser gears. The MS-2 never fails to impress with most gears.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that applies more to the MS-2. The HD-600, just like any of its close siblings, can sound less-than-ideal with some lesser gears. The MS-2 never fails to impress with most gears.

I guess I was just kinda quoting what I had heard a lot of other folks saying when I was trying to decide between HD600 and HD650.

I had read of so many folks saying how important Synergy was with HD650, what with getting just the right amps and sources and cables and all that to make them sound their best. But not near as many listeners saying the same thing about HD580/HD600. That as long as it's a reasonably good system, the phones will sound good as well.

I certainly do agree that while I think the MS2i and HD600 are pretty much equals on the better set-ups, that the HD600 does lose more in SQ on lesser gear.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If "more balanced sound" is in question, the K701/DT880 do a much better job than the HD600 IMO. The HD650 on the other hand is a creature of its own that is not endangered to be rivaled by that couple.

"More balanced" in comparison to the 650s.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would personally keep the HD650 and dump the HR2.

some little things I would like to say according to my perception of things:
1. The HD600 is a more dry sounding headphone, generally it doesn't have the warmth and beauty that the HD650 brings to the table.
2. The HD650 has a type of authority that hits with every note that is simply not replicated by the HD600 or the K701 as well (but still good nevertheless).
3. The HD650 does have a closer soundstage than the K701, the K701 has the soundstage advantage.
4. the K701 seems sanded down with every note, it's when it comes to engaging the listener.
5. the HD650's highs are somewhat soft, in comparison to both the 600 and K701.
6. I do think the HD650 offer enough of an advantage to make the cost justified.
7. I don't know about the HD650 and 600 soundstage differences, they seemed the same to me when I tried them out.
8. At the end of the day, I admire the 600 and K701... and put on the HD650.

x2 on everything you said.
The HD650 is just spectacular when paired with a top-notch amp & source. Even in more modest systems, it's still a great value.

The HD650 sounded good with a new HR2 I had 2 years ago, but not great - a bit too dry, grainy, and SS sounding. I'm not sure if this amp would mate better with the HD600 since I never spent much time with the HR2 & HD600 - though my impressions of their individual sonic signatures is quite alike. Those who love the HD650's sound would be better served with a good tube amp to reinforce its strengths IMO.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 65
Anybody who hangs out at head-fi is familiar with both granodemostasa and mulveling. They're good guys and have great ears, and despite their personal tastes and particular headphone pleasures you can use their comments and advice to build your own systems or collections.

I think what they say about the 600 vs. the 650 is absolutely correct.

And yet, despite voting for the 650 (I think that's what I ended up doing!
blink.gif
), I find myself just as often, nowadays more often, preferring the sound of the 600.

It's very hard here to prefer a "lesser" or technically less accomplished can, but I think, in the case of the HD600, it's possible to do so. With pleasure. Because it may provide more pleasure to certain people.

(As an aside, if you want to talk "lesser", you may want to bring up the
Beyerdynamic DT880. I'm just now getting used to the 880. It doesn't seem, at first glance, in the same league as the two Sennheisers, or the K701. I'm a bit shocked. And I don't think it has to do with personal tastes............I think it's a more substantive matter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back