Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Feb 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,594 of 1,652
Oh Boy, this Seiun PHA situation is getting weirder and weirder. I had told CD that I was having problems with my original PHA (stuttering between songs and pops/cracks using the PHA as a DAC with my laptop), so they sent me a replacement, just like they have with several others here. I got my replacement PHA yesterday and noticed like others here that there was an enclosed QA slip, all boxes were marked YES, except for one that was marked NO. The issue marked NO was "No error windows showing up when PC connecting", which seems to say to me there is a problem, since a double negative would come out as "Error windows showing up when PC connecting". Anyway, I proceeded to test out the new unit; I formatted the internal memory and was able to load several albums on the new PHA. The good news initially was that the new PHA worked great as a DAC with my laptop, and there was no stuttering between songs. So, initially everything looked to be ok, unless you count the continued inverted stereo sound which is still present, but honestly does not really bother me. I really enjoy the sound of the PHA thru both the stereo out and the balanced, so all in all, I thought CD had resolved the major problems.... but, too good to be true! I then charged the PHA using CDs enclosed USB cable and my desk top USB port, just like I have charged the original PHA. After about 3-4 hrs of charging, I got the new PHA ready to load a few more albums that I had downloaded to my laptop. But guess what? Now the PHA was not recognized by my laptop! I rebooted both my computer and the PHA, but no luck. I reloaded the CD drivers to see if this would help, NOTHING. In fact my original PHA was still recognized and I could add music files without problems... In addition, the replacement PHA also failed to act as a DAC. I have pushed the reset button on the new PHA and reformatted the internal memory, but no help getting this replacement PHA to be recognized by my laptop... BUT, today, the replacment PHA is working again as a DAC and there is no static at all, in fact it sounds great. There is just no music on the internal memory and I seem to have no way to add music to the internal card, so this new PHA appears to be worthless as a hi-res DAP.... So now I have 2 basically defective PHA units, one that works very well (at least right now) as a DAC and one that works as a DAP (but with stuttering between songs). I have emailed CD with my PHA experience, so I guess I'll just have to see what happens from here... If they have had this much trouble with the PHA, then I don't think the ProX will ever see the light of day... In any event, I have no plans to return either defective PHA to CD at this time... They'll both sit in the bottom of my laundry closet before I waste time or money sending them back......

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,595 of 1,652
Sorry to see you also have 2 half-defective units, as I do.
This being said, none of my units has a functional balanced output and only one has a functional usb dac input, so I feel extremely disappointed.

No way I will send anything back either.

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,596 of 1,652
I really don't understand how the PHA has turned out so poorly. I mean, if you combine all the working parts of the 2 I have, it would be (IMHO) a nice unit to own. I still listen to my original despite the stuttering and the DAC function works well on my otherwise defective replacement PHA. Looks like they got into a very bad production company with the boards, along with some very questionable QA testing.. I guess I'll have to wait and see how CD responds to my latest message, but the way I see it, no use to return 2 defective units at this point unless they have a way to send me one that works well in all aspects, then I'll still wait a few weeks until it is clear that a 3rd PHA does not crap out.... By the way, tienbasse, on your QA sheet that came with your replacement PHA, were all the boxes checked YES... Thanks for any info you can pass along, and maybe we can get a decent product out of them before all this is over.... wishful thinking, I'm sure. But, I don't ever think we'll see a Pro/ProX, unless CD goes thru some very drastic changes in production.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,597 of 1,652
QC list says yes for all except the second one, same as you.

It makes me think that the "replacements" we got are actually faulty units where the usb dac input is not functioning properly/reliably.
The "funny" thing in this list are items about "inverted balance output" being checked as YES. It's like they think it's normal for the channels to be inverted. :expressionless:

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #1,600 of 1,652
@Kundi, well, if it helps you feel any better, you're in magnificent company! None of the rest of us got our Pro X either. In addition, it looks like very many of the PHA units are defective. I've had 3 PHA units in my house and all 3 have been defective in one way or others.... Looks like CD's plan for compensation has evaporated. I think our "friends" at CD have slipped off in the night, never to be heard from again. Mr. Thomas Chen and Mr. Larry Ho (LH Labs) have convinced me to never, ever, ever look to Indiegogo for a crowd-funding experience again. Both are dishonest men who took our money, and, of course, they will never pay a penalty for their dishonest ways.... I can only hope for Karma for these two miscreants!

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,602 of 1,652
Its over rover!

Taiwan based I think with a US address.

I met them at Tokyo shows as you know and they seemed genuine. A family affair?
They had a line of products and I reviewed a couple of them.

With the Pro X and PHA they may have bitten off more than they can chew. Plus trying to develop too many products at once for a complete home system.

The poor PR girl stuck in the middle must have left the company some time and some how.

Anyway no view of them at Tokyo shows for a while now.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,603 of 1,652
I agree with Ex Patin, this CD campaign is long dead. You would think the snake Thomas Chen would have the respect/dignity to at least admit his failure... But I guess this is just more insight into his spineless, criminal being... I don't know how the B@$t@rD fits in at Verisonix, but he has tarnished them as well... CD (Verisonix) will never establish a significant market in the US, they might as well pull their "products" off Amazon and slither off under their rocks in Taiwan...

May 1, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,604 of 1,652
Too bad this campaign ended in a disaster, premises seemed to be good. Guess I should have asked the money back long time ago...

May 1, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,605 of 1,652
@Kundi, well, if it helps you feel any better, you're in magnificent company! None of the rest of us got our Pro X either. In addition, it looks like very many of the PHA units are defective. I've had 3 PHA units in my house and all 3 have been defective in one way or others.... Looks like CD's plan for compensation has evaporated. I think our "friends" at CD have slipped off in the night, never to be heard from again. Mr. Thomas Chen and Mr. Larry Ho (LH Labs) have convinced me to never, ever, ever look to Indiegogo for a crowd-funding experience again. Both are dishonest men who took our money, and, of course, they will never pay a penalty for their dishonest ways.... I can only hope for Karma for these two miscreants!

Same with me. Saw another campaign on Indiegogo as well and just couldn't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back