Seeking portable FLAC/ALAC player with true line out.
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joshfiveo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

After hours of searching now, I have given up. There is not much information about this topic on the internet. And when I finally find some, I get contradicting results all the time. 

I am seeking a player, with a true line out for my fiio e17, and at least 60gb space.

I have looked into iPods, sansa fuze/clip, cowon and what not. But it seems they don't have true line out, and cowon is just too damn expensive. 

I read some places that iPods have true line out, but some say they don't. And that was all generations they were talking about (except 7 I think)

Thanks,
Josh

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 14
well to me it sounds like you are doing too much reading and not enough listening, define 'true line out' ? so I know what you are referring to. I think most do not really know what that means. particularly in a world where most new dac chips for such purposes are voltage out and also have internal digital volume control and buffered outputs. line level refers to a voltage compliance specification and nothing more.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
well to me it sounds like you are doing too much reading and not enough listening, define 'true line out' ? so I know what you are referring to. I think most do not really know what that means. particularly in a world where most new dac chips for such purposes are voltage out and also have internal digital volume control and buffered outputs. line level refers to a voltage compliance specification and nothing more.

I have heard several places (I am no expert) that most line out's will not use the DAC of the e17, but only the amp.

A true line out is not tampered with, but is just a signal directly to the DAC of the e17. Where in the "non-true line outs" the sound gets slighty messed up by the software on the device.

As said, I am no expert, feel free to correct me if I am wrong! :)

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 14
The S:Flo 2 and Sony Walkmen with WM-Port has line out signals.......

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Er, seems I have got my wired crossed.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 14
I'd be looking to get a different USB DAC if you want it for use with portable players to be honest, or a player with a decent DAC and implementation on board so you can just use the E17 headphone amp.

The OP is trying to find a DAP with line-out to feed his/her amp. Getting another USB DAC won't help at all.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 14
There's the old iriver 120's but won't have enough space unless you upgrade yourself.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 14
HM-601 or Studio-V

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I have heard several places (I am no expert) that most line out's will not use the DAC of the e17, but only the amp.

A true line out is not tampered with, but is just a signal directly to the DAC of the e17. Where in the "non-true line outs" the sound gets slighty messed up by the software on the device.

As said, I am no expert, feel free to correct me if I am wrong! :)

The line out is after the dac, not before it. So you would use the DAC then line out in your portable player, then connected to your portable amp. You can also play FLAC on an app supported idevice. Lightning idevices don't have a line out.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

you mean bro that the dx100 and irivier h120/h140 lineout was wrongly designed? =) 

No. "Line out" stands for a line level analogue signal that comes out of a DAC, while the OP is actually looking for a digital output not a line out at all. 

Not sure about the dx100 but the irivers you suggest do have an optical output which I'm guessing would work with the e17 but good luck finding one as they're old!

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

you mean bro that the dx100 and irivier h120/h140 lineout was wrongly designed? =) 

What?? lol, c'mon mate this is really basic stuff. See Suicidal orange's post for a clear explanation.
Also the DX100 does have digital SPDIF out in Toslink & Coax.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

There, as mentioned by Suicidal, and custonnuts, Line level refers to a specific strength audio signal. And it's analog, so it HAS to be after the DAC. If you have an optical out, it has to be before the DAC, because optical outputs are digital.

Since a DAC converts a digital signal to an analog one, and we know that a line level signal is an analog signal, it has to be after the DAC. Since optical cables carry a digital signal, it must be before the DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back