Searching high-quality Audiophile "non leaking" Headphone
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:
I think dukeskd is saying the HA-160 is under-powered for the ortho LCD-3, maybe less so for the more-efficient dynamic TH900

If not for technical reasons, by ear I didn't really like the pairing of the HA-160 with the LCD-2/3. I felt it was counter-intuitive, and for a headphone that has it's strongest suite in the bass region already, the HA-160 maybe over-emphasized that region too much to my liking and the sound stage was really lacking. An amplifier that I absolutely loved with the LCD-2/3 was the Lyr ($400), but it would have been better without the annoying buzzing noise floor from the tubes.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #47 of 53
there is no headphone amp in existence that is too low power to drive the 93db/mW to ear bleeding levels

Quote:
I think dukeskd is saying the HA-160 is under-powered for the ortho LCD-3, maybe less so for the more-efficient dynamic TH900

May 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:
bmichels, what is your final veredict on this?

I'm very interested in knowing your experience and if you have found a good headphone for the office.

Sorry for my late answer.  Well, since I did not find the perfect high quality non leaking headphone, I had to have 2 headphones:
- Not too leaking, but still leaking a little bit:  Fostex TH900 :  GREAATTTT
- totaly not leaking : Custom in heazr monitor: Westone ES3X : Good, but I am considering upgrading them to JH-13 or JH-3A or UM-PP6

May 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #50 of 53
Well, I guess that between  Sig PRO and Ed8, their sound are a matter of taste. Every one has his opinion, so I would't and the question "which is best" 
wink_face.gif

But, since I am looking for a NON-Leaking headphone to use at work or....in bed when my wife is sleeping, and since sometime I don't want to use my cIEMs, I will just ask:

Between the Sig PRO and Ed8, WHICH ONE LEAK THE LEAST ?  I NEED ALMOST a cIEM non-leaking level !

Or... does someone know an Audiophile headphone that leak even less than those  (besides cIEMs... of course)

Thanks in advance

bertrand

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #52 of 53
  Well, I guess that between  Sig PRO and Ed8, their sound are a matter of taste. Every one has his opinion, so I would't and the question "which is best" 
wink_face.gif

But, since I am looking for a NON-Leaking headphone to use at work or....in bed when my wife is sleeping, and since sometime I don't want to use my cIEMs, I will just ask:

Between the Sig PRO and Ed8, WHICH ONE LEAK THE LEAST ?  I NEED ALMOST a cIEM non-leaking level !

Or... does someone know an Audiophile headphone that leak even less than those  (besides cIEMs... of course)

Thanks in advance

bertrand

I do not understand why the best option has been bypassed, and it is over a year since this thread started. The best combination of the 1. sound signature and frequency balance, 2. tonality and musicality and 3. sound isolation is W3000ANV. This choice is a total no-brainer. These headphones are transportable as long as a good headphones case is used. 
The value of Ed.8 is about one quarter, if even that, of their selling price. Ultrasone headphones development division decided to use 40mm driver in these headphones. Thirty years ago, in the previous century and millenium, that decision would have been a reasonable one but in the second decade of this millenium it is incomprehensible that headphones with 40mm driver are sold for even over 1500 USD. It is more than incomprehensible, I would say it is criminal. These days the standard size of drivers of top rank headphones is 50mm. A good headphones manufacturers are even starting to move away from 50mm size to a bigger one. In order to improve all across the board the quality of sound, Audio Technica has been, for years, putting 53mm drivers in their top headphones, and in the audio equipment show in Japan this year one could already see headphones with the 55mm drivers. 40mm Ultrasone Ed.8 and Signature Pro belong to the horse and buggy era.
In short, as the size of the driver increases, the quality of the musical tones or the tonality of headphones improves. When buying any headphones, aim for the ones with the biggest possible driver. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 53
  The highest I saw was 3.8k by Iron Dreamer.  I saw several that went b/w 2.8 to 3.5K depending on condition.   I have the L3000 and they don't leak very much.  Build quality is one of the best, if not the best ever.  Sound pretty great when you want to rock out.

The last month , September 2013, in Japan a mint condition L3000 was sold for over 4000 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back