Searching for a closed all - rounder under $180
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

usandthem1973

New Head-Fier
Hey, I have been searching for the past week for my next pair of headphones, but it has been really hard to decide which one and I'm not able to test any in my area.

I listen literally to ALL genres, from trash metal to bossa nova, I need them to be closed and portable but I would rather an over ear design, since I want to use them at home and at school.

What I don't like:

Harsh sound
Boomy bass

I know it's too much to ask but if you have an opinion about how they would perform as a studio monitor, please let me know.

I have owned:

Grado SR-80i - Still, got them, I found their highs to be at the limit of what I would start to consider harsh, and lack a little bit of bass punch.
Sennheiser HD 555 - I liked their overall sound, but they lacked bass, and I felt like they needed an amp, but I never got one. I no longer own them.
Sennheiser HD 428 - Meh, lacked overall strenght, a good start.
Some crappy $20 Sonys ;D -  No comment

I know this topic has been repeated thousands of times here but everyone has a different need :)

Thanks in advance :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I haven't tried them, but you may want to add the Philips Uptown to your list.  They are getting great reviews.

A few people have also complained about burn-in negatively affecting them.

This is actually quite hard, since portable/closed are mainly On-ear, and generally have a fair amount of bass. 

Over-ear and portable is tough. There aren't many, and not in that price range.

Skipping the over ear part, look at the V-moda M80, or possibly the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live), or Something else from audio technica since their products vary a lot.

and for your reference, I don't own ANY of them, so your gonna have to do a fair amount of reading on your own. then post back with your results and a more experienced member can eliminate some for you. good luck

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 18
By portable I just mean that They are not giant, They do not have to be super light or thin, just a reasonable size, like the ath m50.

I was considering the v moda but I've seen in sóme reviews that They are not very comfortable.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
By portable I just mean that They are not giant, They do not have to be super light or thin, just a reasonable size, like the ath m50.
I was considering the v moda but I've seen in sóme reviews that They are not very comfortable.

ATH-M50 is bass heavy AFAIK.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 18
KRK KNS-8400.  Fantastic all-arounder.  $150.  I've owned the M50s (twice) and listened to the Uptowns.  I found the M50s to be boring and I've failed to see what all the fuss is about.  The Uptowns are pretty warm and I wouldn't consider them to be versatile for all genres (although they're slightly more comfortable than the 8400s).  The 8400s are about the same size as the M50s and isolate very well.  As far as I'm concerned, they're very close to neutral, but still well extended at both ends of the spectrum.  They're designed as monitoring headphones but work great for music.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 18
That is an interesting suggestion, I had never heard of the brand before.

Do you own them? What would you think about them in comparison with the ATH M50 and the Ultrasone 780?

Thanks a lot :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 18
I own the Brainwavz HM5 and indeed i think it fits all of your requirements except maybe one, portability. They are a bit large but I wear them out anyway. They have extended bass that sounds very neutral and controlled. The mids are incredible, smooth yet detailed and a bit forward in the overall sound signature. The treble also retains great detail and extension but has a slightly soft presentation. The sound stage I'd say is particularly great for a closed can too. The isolation is also excellent. If you can deal with a bit of size I'd say they'd be the ideal cans for what you are after. Neutral with a slight dark tilt and a smooth, spacious and detailed sound.

Edit: They don't really need an amp as far as I can tell. One would refine the sound a bit, although the amp coloration/source would make the biggest difference. Otherwise quality and listening volume can be acquired easily with most sources. Also my avatar is the Brainwavz HM5 :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 18
The M50s are dope! They have excellent extension and solid bass. The mids are a bit pulled back but everything is pretty well balanced for today's music. But at over $150 now there are other HPs that can compete. Here's an off the wall rec. how's about wireless? I retired my M50s after I got my Bluetooth Sennheiser PX210BTs because they are so good.

Here's a quick summary with the og link I discovered these in
http://www.head-fi.org/t/611585/sennheiser-px210bt-bluetooth-headphones-you-better-take-seriously/30#post_8460934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back