SE535 vs SM3
Jul 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 80

Quote:
and can i safely assume the 535 wouldnt have the cable problems anymore, so if i liked the 530s, i should go ahead and buy the 535s or the SM3 and not give a look as westone right?

since many head-fiers says that sm3 is like um3x on steroids + bigger sound stage.

thanks for your input people.

Obviously I haven't had the 535s long, but the cable is very different to the 530: it looks pretty tough to me and I'd be surprised if it suffered the same kind of rotting that afflicted the E500 (my SE530 was a warrantee replacement and its cable seemed OK - still much less robust looking than the 535, though).

It's also detachable, so it could be replaced independently of the phone.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 80

Quote:
and can i safely assume the 535 wouldnt have the cable problems anymore, so if i liked the 530s, i should go ahead and buy the 535s or the SM3 and not give a look as westone right?

since many head-fiers says that sm3 is like um3x on steroids + bigger sound stage.

thanks for your input people.

Let's put it this way, you can use the new SE535 cables to also lock up your bike...they're that strong and sturdy!

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #21 of 80

Quote:
like, literally?

Yes literally.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #23 of 80
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #25 of 80
I've had no cable issues in terms of ruggedness, build quality (for as short a period as I have owned these), memory, etc. (But no... I haven't used them to secure my bike).
wink_face.gif

Everything about these seem extremely well-built and well thought out.

I should receive my SM3's in a week or two, so I'll be able to compare the two at that point.

cheers

shane

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #26 of 80
I think there's an established consensus around here that the SM3 is pretty much the best universal IEM out right now. I've yet to run across a negative review of them, despite running into many negative reviews for the 530 (535 has the same SQ). 

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 80

I think there's an established consensus around here that the SM3 is pretty much the best universal IEM out right now. I've yet to run across a negative review of them, despite running into many negative reviews for the 530 (535 has the same SQ). 

Not meant to be an attack, but just a comment on your post. In terms of 535's having the same sq as the 530s, you should really take a look at the 535s impressions thread as many members report improvements in sq (such as treble and sound stage) and a shure rep has also commented in the differences in sq between the two models (although not huge differences). Also, i have read in the sm3 impressions thread that many people have had theirs break due to the poor design and craftsmanship of the device. IMO great sound cannot makeup for poor build quality. I am interested in more of the direct comparisons between the sm3 and 535s before the shures are to be considered subpar in comparison to the sm3s.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 80

Quote:

Actually this has been stated to not be the case. Both by Shure and several owners. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #29 of 80

Quote:

Rule #1: There never is a consensus on head-fi.

4 headfiers in a room = 5 opinions.

They were really good when I heard them, but they were not my favourites.

Oh and based on many SE535/530 owners (including myself) and Shure there are some real improvements to the SE535s that IMO beat the SM3s. Not by much, but enough for my 2 cents...(or $499 whichever way you look at it
wink_face.gif
).

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #30 of 80
In addition to agreeing with the Macedonian about concensus, I think the use of the word 'best' is bad pratice, especially when talking about transducers. It discourages discussions about preferences and choices   and choi and  anin FR, and no gear, especially in the portables space, is going to be perfectly flat or accurate. There will be trade-offs made, and sometimes we like colored gear. Too many people come onto the forums wanting to know what's 'best', but that's a uncritical way of looking at things - the 'best' won't help you if it's not what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back