SE535 vs JH5 (Had Westone 4's)
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 24
Hey, sorry to digress, but you use an iPhone as your portable rig right? Do you have the app called EQu? It is an app that allows you to control the EQ bands while you play your songs and they have presets but you can create your own EQ bands and save them. My Klipsch Image S4's responded quite well to it, besides the fact that they are kinda sensitive. So i guess with the EQu app, you will not really need an amp? Hope this helps.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 24
Hey, thanks for that tip. 
I have it, although I don't see myself using it too much, the reason mainly because its not that integrated and is a battery hog.
Still, its definitely a powerful option there - however its not the EQ-ing that I need (I have a Cowon J3) but the juice enough to drive whatever phones I desire to its potential. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:

Hey guys, so to cut it short I lost my Westone 4's at the airport and have finally given up looking for them in lost and found. I've looked through both SE535 and JH5 Impression threads (and the ones in between them), and narrowed it down to the two of these earphones. 

Sorry mate but this post is bordering on, erm rubbish. You lost your W4`s, but instead of replacing them due to being obviously you IEM you are used to, you want to replace them with a sound you have never heard?
You never posted about the W4`s and why you liked them but want to jump ship and try something else?

I don`t think the above is unfair. These forums are getting pathetic.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 24
I think all of us just think it is naturally alright for someone to want to try something new -- there is a lot of supposed "high end" IEMs out in the market.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 24
Sorry mate but this post is bordering on, erm rubbish. You lost your W4`s, but instead of replacing them due to being obviously you IEM you are used to, you want to replace them with a sound you have never heard?
You never posted about the W4`s and why you liked them but want to jump ship and try something else?

I don`t think the above is unfair. These forums are getting pathetic.

Hi, I don't want to start an argument but why is he not allowed to test out IEMs that have SQ that he has not heard before? He wants to try new sound signatures, why not? For all you know the sound signature of the JH5 or the SE535 suits him better than the sound signature of the westone 4. Also, I'm sure you are not saying all that angsty stuff just because you feel that the westone 4 are shure killers, and because riddlezildjian chose to try the SE535 instead of getting the westone 4 you worship, you violently object to it. To each his own. To each his own. What suits others may not suit you. Lastly, don't go hating on the forum and calling it pathetic just because you feel that others things that you disapprove of. :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
You lost your W4`s, but instead of replacing them due to being obviously you IEM you are used to, you want to replace them with a sound you have never heard?

You are right, I am sorry as I do admit this thread has been selfish (me only asking questions that I want to know). But seeing how there are people who will eventually stumble across the path that I'm going to, whether if its looking for a replacement or if its HeadFi induced surge for upgrade (the later is more of the case 
smily_headphones1.gif
) I've been asking questions that are both general and specific whichever is appropriate so those hunting through the forums will have resource without needing to retype the entire question.

As for getting an IEM I'm used to, I had my Westone 4's and loved them to bits - I just couldn't buy another one since they had their little flaws and I saw this as an opportunity for trying different signatures. It'd feel pretty dumb to get another exact earphone to me, especially when its 400$. I did give quite a lengthy description of how I liked and disliked the W4's to help those who have knowledge of these phones to pinpoint my preference - any longer would have turned this into an amateur review. This thread turned out to be useful for W4 vs SE535 hunting members too however. I apologize to whoever thinks I'm ruining HeadFi.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
Well, to be fair, Shure's signature can be very uninspiring to some. I remember being slightly disappointed when I first got my SE425 -- but it grew on me eventually.. I just didn't agree with the sonical description of the SE535 though
tongue.gif

And the JH5 is being dark might had something to do with me listening to the ER4 before going to the JH5. That's not exactly the best situation to listen to JH5, I'd imagine.

That's it, one man treasure is another man's Apple (Fostex) earbud :wink:

You do find a lot of re-sales with the SE535 compared to many other sets, I find their BAs a very acquired taste, one I never acquired! I'm more a dynamic man at heart I think, I just thought I'd warn OP that the 535 sig is quite 'individual'! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back