SE535, UE 10 or Westone 3?
post-7509822
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 21

nedelq

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
24
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 18, 2011
Posts
24
Likes
10
Ok first of all I am new to Head fi so don't be too judgemental.
I've been reading a lot and after a while I picked in my opinion the top 3 IEM.
Having in mind that I listen mostly Rnb, hip hop, rap and pop and also money-wise I can afford any of above mentioned, which pair would you recommend me.
Thanks in advance guys!
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7510123
Post #2 of 21

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
1,876
Reaction score
50
Location
San Jose, CA
Joined
May 3, 2010
Location
San Jose, CA
Posts
1,876
Likes
50
Westone 3 or UM3X.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7510202
Post #3 of 21

KaliKot

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
197
Reaction score
11
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
197
Likes
11
For Pop music it should probably be the Westone 3 then. 
 
I would also suggest the Monster Turbine Golds or Coppers as they work well with your genres, TOO WELL i might say! Also the venerable IE8
 
UM3x is more about hearing every instrument detail and while it might work well for all genres, it might not be maximized what youre looking for.
 
TF10 is an all rounder and is the cheapest and easiest to acquire, SE535 doesnt work well with what you mentioned imo.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7510826
Post #4 of 21

dreadline

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Posts
3
Likes
0
Another shout for the Westone 3
A freind of mine used my SE535 for a while and has a similar taste in music and wasn't impressed.  He ended up with the IE8 which satisfied him.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511125
Post #5 of 21

Kurdt-bada

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
967
Reaction score
40
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Posts
967
Likes
40
If he was not impressed was probably because of the fit i have them with custom tips and are spectacular for almost every genre much better than my um3x also. Anyway in this amount of price i should check 1964 QUADS

Enviado desde mi LG-P990 usando Tapatalk
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511178
Post #6 of 21

feNcheL

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
11
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Posts
231
Likes
11
W3 +1
Or maybe Senn IE 8 although I find they lack some detail.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511406
Post #7 of 21

mastershake2393

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
898
Reaction score
34
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Posts
898
Likes
34
You should look into the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8.
 
I find that the MTPC are better at hip-hop than the IE8 because the MTPC has more sub-bass and doesn't have, from what I can tell, a mid-bass hump. The MD Tributes aren't here quite yet, so I can't give you my impressions of them at this time.
 
The W3 are a very polarizing IEM, so you might want to stay away from those. I forget why, so don't ask me to elaborate >_<"
 
The UM3X is also very dark (from what I have heard from people that have had a listen) and would probably not be the best for the genres you prefer.
 
I think if you were to pick between the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8, you would be very happy. Also, if you want a great isolation, for running, working out, etc., I would stay away from the IE8 because they have mediocre isolation.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511696
Post #8 of 21

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
2,639
Reaction score
20
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,639
Likes
20


Quote:
You should look into the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8.
 
I find that the MTPC are better at hip-hop than the IE8 because the MTPC has more sub-bass and doesn't have, from what I can tell, a mid-bass hump. The MD Tributes aren't here quite yet, so I can't give you my impressions of them at this time.
 
The W3 are a very polarizing IEM, so you might want to stay away from those. I forget why, so don't ask me to elaborate >_<"
 
The UM3X is also very dark (from what I have heard from people that have had a listen) and would probably not be the best for the genres you prefer.
 
I think if you were to pick between the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8, you would be very happy. Also, if you want a great isolation, for running, working out, etc., I would stay away from the IE8 because they have mediocre isolation.


its important to point out isolation is there its just the tips dont seal that tight, something people dont seem to realise that the plus point to this is cable noise is almost non existent, something i find is much more of a problem on tighter sealing earphones. when music is playing the isolation is more than enough with IE8 but its still very improtant to find the right fitting tips even if you use different sizes for each ear because the seal can break when you move your mouth and stuff if they are poor fitting tips.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511714
Post #9 of 21

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
1,876
Reaction score
50
Location
San Jose, CA
Joined
May 3, 2010
Location
San Jose, CA
Posts
1,876
Likes
50


Quote:
You should look into the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8.
 
I find that the MTPC are better at hip-hop than the IE8 because the MTPC has more sub-bass and doesn't have, from what I can tell, a mid-bass hump. The MD Tributes aren't here quite yet, so I can't give you my impressions of them at this time.
 
The W3 are a very polarizing IEM, so you might want to stay away from those. I forget why, so don't ask me to elaborate >_<"
 
The UM3X is also very dark (from what I have heard from people that have had a listen) and would probably not be the best for the genres you prefer.
 
I think if you were to pick between the MTPC, MD Tribute, or the IE8, you would be very happy. Also, if you want a great isolation, for running, working out, etc., I would stay away from the IE8 because they have mediocre isolation.

You say the UM3X is too dark, so you recommend the IE8. Interesting...
I only found the UM3X to be dark when I didn't get a good seal with the foam tips. With a good seal or with silicone tips, I found it to be very neutral.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511871
Post #10 of 21

mastershake2393

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
898
Reaction score
34
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Posts
898
Likes
34


Quote:
You say the UM3X is too dark, so you recommend the IE8. Interesting...
I only found the UM3X to be dark when I didn't get a good seal with the foam tips. With a good seal or with silicone tips, I found it to be very neutral.
 
To my ears, I didn't find the IE8 dark. Maybe a little laking in clarity, but certainly not dark.
 
Like I said, I haven't heard the UM3X. I was just citing what people have said about the UM3X, so I can't really compare...
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511900
Post #11 of 21

KaliKot

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
197
Reaction score
11
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
197
Likes
11
UM3x isnt dark at all, I have them on right now and they are neutral compared to Dynamic IEMs such as the MTPC. I am using the stock silicon tips btw. I will try them later with the Foam Supertips to see how they sound
 
They have punchy bass that works for all genres and they dissect the music into instruments. They work very well with complex genres like rock music, but for his genres it should be down to the W3, MTPC, MD and IE8
 
     Share This Post       
post-7511912
Post #12 of 21

Kurdt-bada

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
967
Reaction score
40
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Posts
967
Likes
40
um3x with shure olives are very clear to my ears they have also punchy bass more than 535, and very neutral presentation...but the soundstage is smaller than 20$ in ear headphones and the presentation of the music is weird because of this...the rest of the things are great specially separation but as I said the lack of soundstage make them very special iems and they also demand high quality recordings
 
     Share This Post       
post-7512039
Post #13 of 21

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
1,876
Reaction score
50
Location
San Jose, CA
Joined
May 3, 2010
Location
San Jose, CA
Posts
1,876
Likes
50


Quote:
um3x with shure olives are very clear to my ears they have also punchy bass more than 535, and very neutral presentation...but the soundstage is smaller than 20$ in ear headphones and the presentation of the music is weird because of this...the rest of the things are great specially separation but as I said the lack of soundstage make them very special iems and they also demand high quality recordings

Also interesting. I personally found that while the soundstage was narrow in width, it was extremely deep (front to back), almost more than the Triple.fi 10 (which is renowned for its soundstage).
 
For the record, I use the long (P-series) Comply tips.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7512238
Post #14 of 21

Freefallr4545

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
772
Reaction score
29
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Posts
772
Likes
29


Quote:
If he was not impressed was probably because of the fit i have them with custom tips and are spectacular for almost every genre much better than my um3x also. Anyway in this amount of price i should check 1964 QUADS

Enviado desde mi LG-P990 usando Tapatalk

Hi, Can you elaborate? I love the 535's I use my Westone 3's much more, as I havent really settled in on tips yet. What changed? what tips were you using prior Thanks
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7512240
Post #15 of 21

Freefallr4545

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
772
Reaction score
29
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Posts
772
Likes
29
Oh and Westone 3 for that genre
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top