Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #751 of 12,225
Just a quick update on my Yggy situation....

Schiit is going to do a return/exchange.
I return my broken unit and they will ship me a new one.  Can't beat that!

Too bad though.... Now I've gotta start the burn-in process all over again *humph*

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #752 of 12,225

Too bad though.... Now I've gotta start the burn-in process all over again *humph*
I'd bet that since your symptoms are 'unique' and somewhat unusual, they want to deeply investigate this, and it might take a while, thus the reason for the exchange.

JJ

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #754 of 12,225
BUY BETTER GEAR

Are some of you successful Sending Yggy data from a cd player (coax or Toslink) and not lighting the "buy better gear" light? Rega Apollo, a couple Sonys, and a Marantz that I have around all trigger that light.

That isn't my primary use for Yggy, and I don't plan to buy an expensive transport, so is anybody using something cheap that's working without lighting it?

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #755 of 12,225
BUY BETTER GEAR

Are some of you successful Sending Yggy data from a cd player (coax or Toslink) and not lighting the "buy better gear" light? Rega Apollo, a couple Sonys, and a Marantz that I have around all trigger that light.

That isn't my primary use for Yggy, and I don't plan to buy an expensive transport, so is anybody using something cheap that's working without lighting it?

Thanks!

I use an Oppo BDP103 and do not have the buy better gear light (optical)

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #756 of 12,225
My first good DAC (early 2013) didn't have a USB port and it was really picky about what it would shake hands with.  An avg spdif source would have intermittent dropouts and it never once acknowledge my TV's optical out (Chinese DAC hating on Korean TV).  Things turned around for me with John Kenny, and then the Gustard series.

If I had that Yggy I'd go get a PUC2.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #757 of 12,225
I'm surprised your getting the better gear light with any of those players. I've used the cheap sonus wireless receiver that does not light the better gear light. But, I am using the inexpensive emotiva ERC-3 with no problems at all with the light. Hell, the player doesn't sound to bad on its own and very well built, considering it's $495 brand new price. I've used both AES/EBU out and coax out to the yggy in with zero problems with the light.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #758 of 12,225
From the manual...
What else will trigger the buy better gear light?
Only spectacularly bad sources. Old CD players are one. Apple Airport
Express and satellite receivers are two others. The rest, including cheap
computers, usually have no problem at all.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #759 of 12,225

I'd bet that since your symptoms are 'unique' and somewhat unusual, they want to deeply investigate this, and it might take a while, thus the reason for the exchange.

JJ

I DOUBT they would spend more than 5min checking test points to find and replace the offending board.
Being that it is made in sections of boards and they designed it...
Probably a simple part failure which is usually a rare case anyways.

Also, about the fuse comments,
I really dont recommend anyone trying to open to replace that.
Usually the special fuse makers have success with mostly older analog gear which are more dependant and react to their power supplies.
Todays modern dac would have a regulated power so well done their boards are sufficiently buffered from "pre-power supply" problems that a fuse could theoretically give.

Look at the yggy casing.
It's thickness seems immune to outside interference.

Why ask for trouble trying to mod a dac which is already arguably at the top tier quality of sound,
with only a very few others capable of surpassing, at 5X the price???(!).

I would leave the yggy alone and forget any thought of opening for any reason,
Unless your a "mad scientist,
Or have money to burn...
:p

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #760 of 12,225

My fist Yggdrasil was dead on arriving t my house, but the folk at Schiit Audio, replaced it in no time. Customer service at Schiit Audio is phenomenal.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #761 of 12,225

Why ask for trouble trying to mod a dac which is already arguably at the top tier quality of sound,

What doesn't make sense to me, is the people at Schiit are top tier, and undoubtedly did thousands of hours of R&D for a product like this. If some shmo was able to mod it to make it sound better, why wouldn't they have already done that?

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #762 of 12,225
Certainly would have!  Especially if a power cord or fuse could help the sound.  They would have access to, or could contract for, much lower than boutique prices we pay for such items.  If $5 more for a power chord and $7 for a fuse would make an audible difference wouldn't Schiit put it in?

To me it's kind of like Ferrari putting cheap tires on a $1 million car not to attend to the little things that make a difference.  The folks at Schiit seem to focus on the stuff that counts. I wouldn't open the case if I had an Yggy.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #763 of 12,225

My fist Yggdrasil was dead on arriving t my house, but the folk at Schiit Audio, replaced it in no time. Customer service at Schiit Audio is phenomenal.

For the record, I only read of us two havin to return a DOA yggy,
And it has nothing to do with the packaging or the unit,
But the way Fedex slam & drag the dam box around to come all dirty and banged up..

Schiit should really look into UPS for US delivery instead of dam Fedex.
:p

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #764 of 12,225
For the record my Yggy arrived in pristine condition (shipping box and all) via FedEx. It worked for a few days, suffered a short problem, worked for another week, then suffered the perminant problem.

I blame a faulty component - Not FedEx in my situation.

As they say... Schiit happens!

I'm just glad Schiit is a stand up company and is doing right by their customers.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #765 of 12,225
  Certainly would have!  Especially if a power cord or fuse could help the sound.  They would have access to, or could contract for, much lower than boutique prices we pay for such items.  If $5 more for a power chord and $7 for a fuse would make an audible difference wouldn't Schiit put it in?

To me it's kind of like Ferrari putting cheap tires on a $1 million car not to attend to the little things that make a difference.  The folks at Schiit seem to focus on the stuff that counts. I wouldn't open the case if I had an Yggy.

Amen to that!  It is also worth noting that the member originally pushing mods in this thread and the other yggy thread happens to have a business selling such mods...  Rumor has it (from other forums) that at least two yggy's have been damaged as a result of misguided attempts to implement them.  

DIY is great, and I definitely enjoy tweaking components in my bottlehead amps, among others/had a lot of fun doing the smd work and implementing the agdr booster board for my o2 etc., but these are extremely simple circuits compared to yggy, and the case on my yggy is definitely not coming off.  If I want to mod an r2r dac, I'll put together a really nice soekris build like misterrogers or priidik.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back