Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #766 of 12,389
For the record my Yggy arrived in pristine condition (shipping box and all) via FedEx. It worked for a few days, suffered a short problem, worked for another week, then suffered the perminant problem.

I blame a faulty component - Not FedEx in my situation.

As they say... Schiit happens!

I'm just glad Schiit is a stand up company and is doing right by their customers.

hope it works out for ya man. Sounds like you been through the mill. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #767 of 12,389
Just a quick update on my Yggy situation....

Schiit is going to do a return/exchange.
I return my broken unit and they will ship me a new one.  Can't beat that!

Too bad though.... Now I've gotta start the burn-in process all over again *humph*

My fist Yggdrasil was dead on arriving t my house, but the folk at Schiit Audio, replaced it in no time. Customer service at Schiit Audio is phenomenal.

For the record, I only read of us two havin to return a DOA yggy,
And it has nothing to do with the packaging or the unit,
But the way Fedex slam & drag the dam box around to come all dirty and banged up..

Schiit should really look into UPS for US delivery instead of dam Fedex.
:p

Are the UPS guys more careful with stuff? I was in fact wondering why they cost more for delivering the same thing.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #769 of 12,389
Are the UPS guys more careful with stuff? I was in fact wondering why they cost more for delivering the same thing.

The primary difference is the UPS guys are all unionized employees while FedEx classifies most of their delivery people as "independent contractors" - FedEx lost a lawsuit on this in CA and they are now employees. 

By calling them independent contractors, FedEx makes them bear the costs of FedEx branded trucks, FedEx branded uniforms, FedEx scanners, fuel, maintenance, insurance, and more. Drivers aren't provided pay for missed meals, rest periods, overtime compensation, etc.  Not sure how much they really take home after they have to pay these expenses.

Comp info from 2011

Truck Driver - Light or Delivery Services
FedEx Avg. Annual Salary: $38,465
UPS Avg. Annual Salary: $58,653

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #770 of 12,389
Fedex just delivered my Gungnir MB into my hot little hands.  The box was mint and not a mark on it.

I think it's luck of the draw, at least in our area.  I have had UPS trash boxes too.  Once got a box from UPS with parts falling out left on my front porch.

Unless a box is stabbed with a forklift it ought to be able to stand up to either UPS or Fedex.  The Schiit boxes are good enough unless they bring on the big gorilla.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #771 of 12,389
That's ultimately the thing.... If the item is built and packed well it should survive all but the very worst a Currier can do to it.

Anyway, Schiit shipped (...try saying that three times fast...) the replacement Yggy this afternoon.
With any luck it will be in my hands tomorrow.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #772 of 12,389
Replacement Yggy just arrived,  WOOT!

Now if only I wasn't stuck here at work 
triportsad.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #773 of 12,389
My Yggy should arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

I am a bit worried about Schiit's quality control as of late. A used Yggy I heard had something wrong with it and now we have the other stories here from Jamiee and others about more failures.

On something this expensive the failure rate is sounding rather high. Thank goodness for the long warranty and the return period.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #774 of 12,389
  My Yggy should arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

I am a bit worried about Schiit's quality control as of late. A used Yggy I heard had something wrong with it and now we have the other stories here from Jamiee and others about more failures.

On something this expensive the failure rate is sounding rather high. Thank goodness for the long warranty and the return period.

The good news is that even if you do have a problem - the turn around time to get a replacement is pretty darn quick!
(That's assuming they would opt to do a direct replacement mind you).

I first contacted Schiit Saturday morning, and here it's Wednesday and I have the replacement in hand.  Not bad considering it had to fly from the Western States all the way to Eastern Canada.

As for Schiit's QC - Well I think they have most of the work subcontracted out, and then they themselves do the final assembly and packaging.
The Yggdrasil is still a fairly new item in terms of product manufacturing.  I'm sure there's only been give or take 500 - 600 units made to date. 
So it's still very much young in the production cycle and it's the most complicated part they've ever made.  I'm not too surprised there's been a few bumps in the road.  I'm sure they'll get things ironed out
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #775 of 12,389
Hello People,
Yesterday I got my Yggy - one of the first in the UK I believe.

I'm running it in and have a question;
Because It's plugged directly into a power-amp (and speakers) and I have no analog volume control I use Jrievr to attenuate the signal going in the Yggy, quite heavily - around -50db. m I wonder if that has any impact on it's burn-in? supposedly the output stage doesn't get as stressed as if I'd be using full volume? How about the Dac chips?

Thank you,

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #776 of 12,389
  Hello People,
Yesterday I got my Yggy - one of the first in the UK I believe.

I'm running it in and have a question;
Because It's plugged directly into a power-amp (and speakers) and I have no analog volume control I use Jrievr to attenuate the signal going in the Yggy, quite heavily - around -50db. m I wonder if that has any impact on it's burn-in? supposedly the output stage doesn't get as stressed as if I'd be using full volume? How about the Dac chips?

Thank you,

I mosey'd over here to read up on the schiit hot off the press and came across this. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the yggy something like a 21 bit DAC? I feel sorry for those higher order bits hanging out up on top not doing anything......

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #778 of 12,389
If this is a serious comment you got a lot of backreading to do about what differentiates Yggdrasil from other DACs!

Yggy claims to provide 21 real bits of resolution (see ENOB - effective number of bits). As I understand it there are lots of DAC chips that process at 24 or 32 bits but this doesn't mean they resolve this many bits i.e. provide that degree of musical information.

Nor - for that matter - do our recordings provide anything close to 24 or 32 bits of resolution (though they may in principle have that much dynamic range, but that's not the same thing at all). It's easy to provide 24 or 32 bit music files but this refers to their information-carrying capacity not what they deliver.

This is all as I understand it. There are many here who can explain it better.

I mosey'd over here to read up on the schiit hot off the press and came across this. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the yggy something like a 21 bit DAC? I feel sorry for those higher order bits hanging out up on top not doing anything......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back