Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #782 of 12,385
Don't engage the invert phase button for extended periods. That could undo the whole burn-in process.
rolleyes.gif

Is that like when Ferris Bueller tried to drive that ferrari 250 GT in reverse?

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #783 of 12,385
If this is a serious comment you got a lot of backreading to do about what differentiates Yggdrasil from other DACs!

Yggy claims to provide 21 real bits of resolution (see ENOB - effective number of bits). As I understand it there are lots of DAC chips that process at 24 or 32 bits but this doesn't mean they resolve this many bits i.e. provide that degree of musical information.

Nor - for that matter - do our recordings provide anything close to 24 or 32 bits of resolution (though they may in principle have that much dynamic range, but that's not the same thing at all). It's easy to provide 24 or 32 bit music files but this refers to their information-carrying capacity not what they deliver.

This is all as I understand it. There are many here who can explain it better.

Shall we get into the discussion of "at what level of resolution can our ears hear" as well" to add to the MY DAC HAS MORE BITS THAN YOURS argument? :) I jest and do think you explained it quite well. HOWEVER, if we do assume (for just a brief moment) that we're using all 21 bits of range with purposeful data, isn't it a bit counter productive to squash that signal going into the yggy?

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #784 of 12,385
Shall we get into the discussion of "at what level of resolution can our ears hear" as well" to add to the MY DAC HAS MORE BITS THAN YOURS argument? :) I jest and do think you explained it quite well. HOWEVER, if we do assume (for just a brief moment) that we're using all 21 bits of range with purposeful data, isn't it a bit counter productive to squash that signal going into the yggy?

Spoken like a true analog man. I fully agree and your assertion as to the digital volume control above is quite right. Under no circumstances should one decimate the samples. If you can afford an Yggy, you can afford a preamp to cut the analog voltage to the power amp.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #785 of 12,385
Having more bits at the DAC chip will allow more engineering headroom when it comes to the final analog output. You will always lose more SNR(bits) after the digital conversion section. 

Think of it as a 350bhp engine, do you get 350bhp at the wheels?(power loss at transmission and axle)

Well guys, ESS Sabre ES9018S official datasheet list it as 135db(Mono) of SNR, that's ENOB of 22.5bits, which is more than the Yggdrasil but would you say any of Sabre dacs out there sounds better? :wink: 22.5bits is not 32bits as ESS claims :p

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #786 of 12,385
I see I missed a subtlety in your original statement concerning those higher order bits! Never mind, I see as well you are in good hands.

Welcome to head-fi :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #787 of 12,385
Don't engage the invert phase button for extended periods. That could undo the whole burn-in process.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the great post. This info can save us a lot of grief.

I had a similar experience when I hooked a directional cable the wrong way into Yggy. Three days later Yggy started disassembling itself.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #789 of 12,385

I had a similar experience when I hooked a directional cable the wrong way into Yggy. Three days later Yggy started disassembling itself.

Always make sure the direction arrows on your cables are aligned with electron flow in your system. Otherwise there will be a build up of bass molecules in your source that can lead to an explosion.

Spectacularly occured once at RMAF in 1998. 6 audiophiles were killed. 14 were hospitalized for Brilliant Pebble removal.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #790 of 12,385

Always make sure the direction arrows on your cables are aligned with electron flow in your system. Otherwise there will be a build up of bass molecules in your source that can lead to an explosion.

Spectacularly occured once at RMAF in 1998. 6 audiophiles were killed. 14 were hospitalized for Brilliant Pebble removal.

I don't know how you manage to make such an awful event sound so matter of fact and practically funny. I mean - I was there! God awful. Horrible tragedy for sure. And so easily prevented. Hell I've never connected any cable since. ANd directional arrows give me the shakes and the runs. 1998 - R.I.P.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #792 of 12,385

Are we talking about interconnects here? This is shocking.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #794 of 12,385
I tried some Shunyata directional fuses in my amp.
Long story short, I inserted them in the wrong way.
Two months down the track, I received a refund from my electricity provider.

Directional fuses for the WIN.............    
gs1000.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #795 of 12,385
I tried some Shunyata directional fuses in my amp.
Long story short, I inserted them in the wrong way.
Two months down the track, I received a refund from my electricity provider.

Directional fuses for the WIN.............     :gs1000smile:

Nice. Lemme try that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back