Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #811 of 12,404
I'm pretty sure that even though your music isn't 24 bit, the Yggy will still sound exceptional.

I use Google play... My roommate is also into music, and has a massive flac collection.
I've never been able to tell a good difference. If I sit in an audio padded ultra quite room, and really try and listen well, I get maybe 1-2% (imo) more detail. It's not worth it to me, music for me is about enjoyment. A massive part of that enjoyment is having over 20million tracks to chose from at the drop of a hat.

My setup right now is master7 / di-2014 / wa7 / hd800.
I also own a Matrix mini-i and also have the internal dac within the wa7 to compare.
The differences in audio between the Mini-i / pcm5102a dac and my master7 are massive. Most anybody could immediately tell the difference.

I think if I had to make a hierarchy of what's most important:
headphones -> source (dac / cd / vinyl) -> amp -> power source -> music format (in regards to anything at least over 320kbps) -> cables (never been able to personally tell a difference)

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #812 of 12,404
If both Yggdradils sound that different just because they are two different units, then Schiit has some serious quality and consistancy issues!

I just don't accept that this is the case.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #813 of 12,404
  I use Google play... My roommate is also into music, and has a massive flac collection.
I've never been able to tell a good difference. If I sit in an audio padded ultra quite room, and really try and listen well, I get maybe 1-2% (imo) more detail. It's not worth it to me, music for me is about enjoyment. A massive part of that enjoyment is having over 20million tracks to chose from at the drop of a hat.

My setup right now is master7 / di-2014 / wa7 / hd800.
I also own a Matrix mini-i and also have the internal dac within the wa7 to compare.
The differences in audio between the Mini-i / pcm5102a dac and my master7 are massive. Most anybody could immediately tell the difference.

I think if I had to make a hierarchy of what's most important:
headphones -> source (dac / cd / vinyl) -> amp -> power source -> music format (in regards to anything at least over 320kbps) -> cables (never been able to personally tell a difference)

I'll use a guitar freak's analogy to try and support this.

A '52 les paul through a bargain basement amp will sound like trash no matter what you try to do. But I've heard a plywood guitar that sounded pretty good through a boutique amp real similar to a dumble.

No question that all parts of the equation are important....just the "jesus nut" of that equation might have more impact than others.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #814 of 12,404
If both Yggdradils sound that different just because they are two different units, then Schiit has some serious quality and consistancy issues!

I just don't accept that this is the case.

Your first one broke and you had to send it back.  It's quite reasonable to assume that before it failed the sound was compromised.  You actually said that earlier on....

Your experience says at a minimum that Schiit, like every other manufacturer, has a small but finite failure rate.  You can't accept that?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #815 of 12,404
The problem had nothing to do with sound quality. The problem was that the Yggdrasil completely lost its ability to lock in the sample rate - or at least lost the ability to see any signal coming into it from any source. Quality of sound seemed perfectly fine otherwise.

All I'm saying is that the replacement Yggy with added aftermarket fuse sounds more engaging, it sounds better to me than the stock Yggy.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #817 of 12,404
She looks pretty good in black. Sounds pretty good too.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #818 of 12,404
Quote:Topspin70
 Can't confuse directions with those connectors.

You can with the directional fuses......   
bigsmile_face.gif

There are directional fuses in XLR ic?

Should I be glad that I haven't been blown up by my gear all these years having absolutely no knowledge of such dangers?

Ok I know what fuse u guys are talking about now. I'm learning. Slow but steadily.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #819 of 12,404
Aug 28, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #821 of 12,404
I've heard from a distributer that the trial run of black units has resulted in Schiit not continuing with black as a formal option. Apparently they weren't happy with the quality of finish. As no-one here has complained about the finish quality of their black Yggy, I assume it's more to do with rejection rates at factory etc.

Anyway, my Yggy is due to arrive within the next day or so and will be silver, despite me stating several weeks ago for a strong preference for black. I'm sure I'll love it anyway, just a shame it's not the colour of choice. 

Compared to the complications of their supa dupa industrial DAC chips, how hard can it be to have a black finish? It's not rocket science, and thousands of companies around the world seem to manage it without too much trouble.  

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #822 of 12,404
  I've heard from a distributer that the trial run of black units has resulted in Schiit not continuing with black as a formal option. Apparently they weren't happy with the quality of finish. As no-one here has complained about the finish quality of their black Yggy, I assume it's more to do with rejection rates at factory etc.

Anyway, my Yggy is due to arrive within the next day or so and will be silver, despite me stating several weeks ago for a strong preference for black. I'm sure I'll love it anyway, just a shame it's not the colour of choice. 

Compared to the complications of their supa dupa industrial DAC chips, how hard can it be to have a black finish? It's not rocket science, and thousands of companies around the world seem to manage it without too much trouble.  

Since I earlier owned gungnir too, the only difference I see in finish between black and silver is that black has a matte finish while silver has 'brushed' finish.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #823 of 12,404
The Yggy has been playing for the last 24+ Hours. this time it is more exiting to hear, something must already have changed.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #824 of 12,404

When did you order it, and which voltage?

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #825 of 12,404
I can't rember exactly, around end of June when first put in order, Then roughly a couple of weeks later when I got wind of the secret black option. At that time there seemed some chance of getting a black one, although nothing was for certain.
230v.

In the meantime, my (silver) Yggy has arrived safely today and is warming up,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back