Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #841 of 12,405
only using it with Speakers.

jriver > usb > Yggy > Job pre2 > Job 250 Mono (X2) > PMC twenty.26

its still running in but growing on me.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #843 of 12,405
Stupid question time here!

The Yggdrasil has so much tech going on inside, that I don't truly understand it. What is most confusing to me is the 21 pit processing (or whatever it's doing). Does that mean the sample rate of the source (no matter what it is), is "converted" to 21 bits?

What about 16 bit 44.1k FLAC or ALAC files, are they being "converted/up-sampled" to 21 bit 44.1k "sound"?

Additionally, what about 24/96k files and the like? Are those being "reduced/down-sampled" to 21 bits?

Can someone please clear the confusion?

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #844 of 12,405
No. As I understand it the 21 bits has nothing to do with conversion. No up- or down-conversion applies.

Instead it represents the effective resolution of the DAC. Loosely speaking, it completely resolves any source material up to 21 bit - so this means it more than amply resolves red-book (16-bit) of course. Given higher than 21 bit-rate material it resolves 21 bits of the information available.

The latter might not seem impressive - except the recording gear (e.g. microphones) doesn't reach this number of bits, nor (again, as I understand it) does our own hearing/decoding ability.
Hence, any DAC that achieves 21 bits or more (or even a little less) is effectively 'perfectly resolving' at retrieving all the detail and nuance available in the source material.

Don't be misled by the data-width of the source material., e.g. 24 and 32 bit.

Perhaps a useful analogy is color. We typically represent it at 24-bit and higher levels, making millions or billions of subtle colors available. This does not mean though that we can meaningfully differentiate among them or that we need to in order to fully perceive and 'enjoy' (or not) a particular scene.

Note: All the above is subject to correction by other head-fiers here who know a darn sight more than me about DACs - and probably color too!

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #845 of 12,405
Think of it in terms of normal mathematics, adding extra digits of resolution after the decimal point.
Whereas 16 bits resolution may be like 1234.56, 21 bits resolution may be like 1234.56789.
Extending them to a common length like 24 bits may be like 1234.5600000000 and 1234.56789000.
The more digits you add after the decimal point, the less difference it makes.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #846 of 12,405
Impression time - sorry mine will not read like a polished professional kind; just listing down my thoughts. I am at around 100 hr point. Mine is a speaker based setup.

Every other DAC may be able to retrieve all information but what matters is the rendition and that is what is addicting here.

I have noticed that Sting's albums, generally, have complex recording and Yggy is good with those too.

Might sound funny, Yggy shows you how good Pandora is in doing their job. Listen to some Paul Taylor, Marion Meadows, Dav Koz stuffs, you will love it.

Yggy lets you enjoy every bit of music. I earlier had the tendency of ignoring (unconsciously) instruments played between passages in songs but now, everything is played so beautifully, you enjoy every bit of it.

Over a period, it lets you identify houses of recording. Since I am from India and there are 3-4 recording labels, I can now distinguish between the albums recorded by different recording labels. The ones recorded by Sony are best.

I am feeling like I wasted all my years listening to just probably 50% of what is there in a CD.

Yggy also proves that this DAC thing is a complicated science and I am not sure why all these big names in HiFi business have been producing crappy CD players. 

I can confidently say that anyone who has still not crossed $2000 mark for DAC, should try Yggy.

I can also say that in future if at all I have money for any expensive DAC, it will be a daunting mental work to decide on a new one.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #847 of 12,405
I have had the Regen up and running for about five hours now.  FYI: Regarding the Schiit Wyrd, I initially used the wall wart that came with it but switched to a linear power supply and got a fairly decent sound improvement in exchange.  I have a HD Plex linear power supply that powers my music server, external hard drive, and the wyrd/Regen via the 9v output.  

I have read alot about the wyrd having a "digital" sound.  Maybe it does when you use the wall wart but not in my setup.  OTOH, the Regen seems a tiny bit smoother on the very top end without losing detail.  Everything else is so similar between the two that I don't notice a difference.  

I wish I could go on and on about the differences between the two but I can't.  I will say that I think having a good power supply vastly improves upon the sound of devices like these and others like the Sotm or Paul Pang usb cards.  If you can't get a good linear power supply then I suggest getting the Regen since its PS looks to be superior to the Wyrd's wall wart.   

I am keeping the Regen in my system since it does seem to have a smoother top end and my speakers are by no means rolled off.  I can see folks that have a more laid back, rolled off sounding system preferring the Wyrd.  But again the differences between the two are really small in my system.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #848 of 12,405
  Anyone using their Yggy with either a Beezar DoodleBug isolator or an Audiophilleo 2?

Is there consensus that the Yggy's USB implementation is in need of a bolt-on? 

best,

o

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #849 of 12,405

Is there consensus that the Yggy's USB implementation is in need of a bolt-on? 

best,

o

I doubt it.  I just like the idea of further isolating the DAC from the computer and any possible noise.  Devices like the Wyrd and the Regen are really just aimed at fixing what the computer does wrong (usb data clocking) and not the dac.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #850 of 12,405
  Anyone using their Yggy with either a Beezar DoodleBug isolator or an Audiophilleo 2?

My experience with the Audiophilleo with Pure Power battery tells me that it would be a downgrade from the Yggy's usb input.  FWIW I used the AP with a different dac (AGD Master 7).  But when Audio GD upgraded the firmware for its usb inputs sometime in 2014, even that much criticized  usb solution was equal or better than the AP through a BNC or RCA digital input.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #851 of 12,405
Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I initially used the wall wart that came with it but switched to a linear power supply and got a fairly decent sound improvement in exchange.  

Uh, what? The wall-wart is an AC (linear) supply. Rectification and regulation via some very fancy low-noise devices are within the Wyrd case, as specified on the product page.

So, your linear supply outputs AC? Because I'm very confused as to how a DC supply would work on an AC product, unless @Baldr has some commentary.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 31, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #854 of 12,405
Im not even going to try to match wits on this topic. Im only reporting what my experience has been and give a dumb mans guess as to why there was a difference since the only variable was the power supply. TIFWIW which may be little to some and more to others.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #855 of 12,405
Im not even going to try to match wits on this topic. Im only reporting what my experience has been and give a dumb mans guess

Just to help you out here, nothing to do with wit or popularity. It is science and with a history lesson. Look up DC vs AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back