Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #826 of 12,475
Just got back from a 2 week business trip abroad.

There was an Uptone Audio Regen that I ordered in my held mail. My Yggy has been powered on for moths. Fired up my KGST, and listened to my Stax SR-009.

After about an hour, added the Regen to the mix.

A very nice addition indeed. :)

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #827 of 12,475
I'm super new to the headphone game... but I have had my Yggdrasil installed and powered up for about a week or two now... Didn't know what i was getting myself into. 

I was previously using the built in Burr-Brown DAC in my Burson Conductor SL. Was very happy with that. But with the switch to the Yggdrasil as the DAC (still using the headphone amp portion of the Burson)... my mind is blown!

Although I lurk here and read an absolute ton. Until there is a major source change in the chain... I never thought I would be able to tell such a massive difference.

Very happy to be a new fan of Schiit audio!

And it is damn pretty to boot!

CaptainCB

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #828 of 12,475
Just got back from a 2 week business trip abroad.

There was an Uptone Audio Regen that I ordered in my held mail. My Yggy has been powered on for moths. Fired up my KGST, and listened to my Stax SR-009.

After about an hour, added the Regen to the mix.

A very nice addition indeed. :)

My Regen should be here monday. I cant wait to compare it to the wyrd.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #829 of 12,475
So I tried an iFi iUSB Power (with the new iFi iPower) into the usb input of the Yggy (using ASIO driver). The sound had nice weight with greater presence, better focus, better detail, and smoothness. I think I prefer it to the digital coax input (fed by a Marantz SA8005 with usb in) which sounds a little more closed in and laid back. :D

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #830 of 12,475
My Regen should be here monday. I cant wait to compare it to the wyrd.

My Wyrd worked well with my Gungnir and at $99 I can recommend it for that application. But with the level of resolution that the Yggy offers, I found it to add a subtle synthetic quality that took away from the overall sound.

The Regen opens up a new vista with the Yggy. Hard to describe except everything is more clear, more real sounding. Not subtle in the least over my Stax. Interesting thing is the wide difference in SQ the invert phase switch now makes. One way, the sound is fuller with more body at the expense of coherence and imaging. Some aspects jump out as sounding more real than others within the mix. The other way at first sounds leaner, but then you hear that everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) sounds more interconnected as a whole and the the music just flows more like great analog. I have been a tube head for decades and in the past have preferred a warmer, fuller presentation. But the Yggy with a Regen has made me totally reconsider that perspective.

I also have a AQ Jitterbug to try, but have not felt the need to add it (yet). The Yggy with a Regen has left me very satisfied, exploring my music collection again. Remember this is IMO listening to headphones, YMMV.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #832 of 12,475
Birthday money, what to do with it.. Buy a really nice bike, or buy a pretty good bike and add $1,000 to my Yggy allowance, cutting a year off my saving period? I think we all know the answer here. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #833 of 12,475
  Birthday money, what to do with it.. Buy a really nice bike, or buy a pretty good bike and add $1,000 to my Yggy allowance, cutting a year off my saving period? I think we all know the answer here. 

Biking in the Antarctic sounds like a chore. Put it all towards your Yggy.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #834 of 12,475
ygg+spkrs.=?

I have a tube pre and ss/tube hybrid amp feeding large
3 way spkrs. (Ava fetvalve CF pre/Ava fet valve 600R
amp/Salk HT3 sprkrs.)  Sound leans toward mellow
ss definitely not syrupy.  Anyone with similar gear
using ygg.?  The fact that the most informational
forum for the ygg. is a headset forum, and a few
prominent posters that have returned or resold were
using spkrs. makes me wonder if something in the
ygg design/sound is a better match for headsets.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #835 of 12,475
  ygg+spkrs.=?

makes me wonder if something in the

I run both out of my Yggy, and can wholeheartedly say that listening through both my speakers and headphones have been nicely improved with the addition of the Yggy to my setup.

You will see more talk about Yggy on headphone forums because Schiit has traditionally catered more towards the headphone market.
Yggdrasil and Ragnarok are really the first two products from Schiit that are more two-channel (stereo) centric.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #836 of 12,475
I'm using my Yggy in a speakers set up (B&W CM 10s2, driven by an ATI 6002) and it sounds brilliant!

I wanted to ask again what are the 'milestones' in terms of burn in? It's been almost a week - playing non stop.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #837 of 12,475
I'm using my Yggy in a speakers set up (B&W CM 10s2, driven by an ATI 6002) and it sounds brilliant!

I wanted to ask again what are the 'milestones' in terms of burn in? It's been almost a week - playing non stop.

Thanks!

I say between 175 hours and 200 hours and the dac of god, will open up and all will be great.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #838 of 12,475
  ygg+spkrs.=?

I have a tube pre and ss/tube hybrid amp feeding large
3 way spkrs. (Ava fetvalve CF pre/Ava fet valve 600R
amp/Salk HT3 sprkrs.)  Sound leans toward mellow
ss definitely not syrupy.  Anyone with similar gear
using ygg.?  The fact that the most informational
forum for the ygg. is a headset forum, and a few
prominent posters that have returned or resold were
using spkrs. makes me wonder if something in the

I run speakers only with my Yggy > Rag combo and the result is stunning. When the rest of the 2-channel world finds out about Schiit there will be a lot of over-priced used gear up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back