Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 27, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #796 of 12,398
Spoken like a true analog man. I fully agree and your assertion as to the digital volume control above is quite right. Under no circumstances should one decimate the samples. If you can afford an Yggy, you can afford a preamp to cut the analog voltage to the power amp.
If memory serves Professor Moffett stated that the output is high on purpose so you could use a passive preamp.

JJ

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #798 of 12,398
Quote:Topspin70
 Can't confuse directions with those connectors.

You can with the directional fuses......   
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #800 of 12,398
Quote:Topspin70
 Can't confuse directions with those connectors.

You can with the directional fuses......   
bigsmile_face.gif

There are directional fuses in XLR ic?

Should I be glad that I haven't been blown up by my gear all these years having absolutely no knowledge of such dangers?

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #802 of 12,398
Directional cables and fuses - OH MY!

Honestly, I've never found there to be too much of a sonic difference with how you hook up a directional cable (maybe a subtle difference in certain cases) but noting too major. I think in most cases it has to do with which end of the cable is grounded.
As for fuses... well you already know where I stand on that issue - (spoiler alert) .................TRUE BELIEVER!!!

Now I just happen to be one of the very few that has had two Yggy's in his hands over the past couple of weeks.

The first one - bone stock - that failed at approxametly the 210hr burn-in mark.
..... And the newly replaced one which I just received yesterday.

To do a sonic comparison between the two would seem a tad unfair right?

Maybe not...

Here's the deal.  After receiving the replacement Yggy, the first thing I did was open it up and replace the stock fuse with a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme 630mA aftermarket fuse.  The fuse also came with a matching WA-Quantum fuse chip, so just for kicks I attached it to the body of the Supreme fuse and wrapped a bit of clear tape around it to secure it in place.

I then put the Yggy back together and fired it up.  OMG! this does not sound like the Yggy I quite remember...
As much as I liked the first unit I had, this new one sounds a lot more involving.  No joke folks.  Every sonic attribute that I liked about the first Yggy is on fully display here and then some.  The best way to describe the improvement is that it sounds something like a Super Yggy.

The Yggdrasil does transparency, detail, and overall coherence very well.  What the Supreme fuse brings to the table is "body".  It has added weight, character, and a greater sense of realism to Yggy's overall tonal colour. 

There's no downside here. It's fantastic!

With the first Yggy - I enjoyed it a lot, but I felt slightly disconnected from it.  It wasn't something that I could quite put my finger on and I was hoping that more burn-in would be the key.

With the new unit and the Supreme fuse - I almost immediately started falling in love with it - Seriously, I've got a mini crush going on here 
wink_face.gif

An initial 5 minute listening session to check that everything was working properly turned into a three hour excursion - Then dinner interrupted - but after that I was right back to listening for another couple of hours. 

So yes, According to some I may have poured ketchup on Kobe Beef.  But you know what?  ... I like it, I like it a lot! 

Now, where are the french fries.....

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #803 of 12,398
  I tried some Shunyata directional fuses in my amp.
Long story short, I inserted them in the wrong way.
Two months down the track, I received a refund from my electricity provider.

Directional fuses for the WIN.............    
gs1000.gif

I will check home depot during lunch break to get some directional main breakers for the house.
This should turn out a nice additional income. THX a lot pal, great advice.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #804 of 12,398
Directional cables and fuses - OH MY!

Honestly, I've never found there to be too much of a sonic difference with how you hook up a directional cable (maybe a subtle difference in certain cases) but noting too major. I think in most cases it has to do with which end of the cable is grounded.
As for fuses... well you already know where I stand on that issue - (spoiler alert) .................TRUE BELIEVER!!!

Now I just happen to be one of the very few that has had two Yggy's in his hands over the past couple of weeks.

The first one - bone stock - that failed at approxametly the 210hr burn-in mark.

Maybe not...

Here's the deal.  After receiving the replacement Yggy, the first thing I did was open it up and replace the stock fuse with a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme 630mA aftermarket fuse.  The fuse also came with a matching WA-Quantum fuse chip, so just for kicks I attached it to the body of the Supreme fuse and wrapped a bit of clear tape around it to secure it in place.

I then put the Yggy back together and fired it up.  OMG! this does not sound like the Yggy I quite remember...
As much as I liked the first unit I had, this new one sounds a lot more involving.  No joke folks.  Every sonic attribute that I liked about the first Yggy is on fully display here and then some.  The best way to describe the improvement is that it sounds something like a Super Yggy.

The Yggdrasil does transparency, detail, and overall coherence very well.  What the Supreme fuse brings to the table is "body".  It has added weight, character, and a greater sense of realism to Yggy's overall tonal colour. 

There's no downside here. It's fantastic!

With the first Yggy - I enjoyed it a lot, but I felt slightly disconnected from it.  It wasn't something that I could quite put my finger on and I was hoping that more burn-in would be the key.

With the new unit and the Supreme fuse - I almost immediately started falling in love with it - Seriously, I've got a mini crush going on here :wink_face: .

An initial 5 minute listening session to check that everything was working properly turned into a three hour excursion - Then dinner interrupted - but after that I was right back to listening for another couple of hours. 

So yes, According to some I may have poured ketchup on Kobe Beef.  But you know what?  ... I like it, I like it a lot! 

Now, where are the french fries.....

So you opened it up before listening to it? Since there were issues with the first one, how do you know what you were hearing with it wasn't due to the faulty parts and now with the new one you are hearing a "non faulty" sound? If you had listened to it first and then changed the fuse you could say with some degree of confidence that the fuse made it better. But now??? Not so much.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #805 of 12,398
Do you really think the faulty part that caused my Initial Yggy to fail,also caused some sort of universal sound degradation?

Somehow I really don't think so...

But yes, I did consider the possibility for a very brief second.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #806 of 12,398
nice to see an impression in the ygdrasil impression thread :D

reading the alst 20 pages to catch up it felt like i was in the wrong thread

i got my iggy today been playing a couple of albums but way to early for impressions.
coming form a metrumoctave mk1
it does not sound bad but no magic happening yet either. i have feeling "the curtains still have to be opened"

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #808 of 12,398
I'm pretty sure that even though your music isn't 24 bit, the Yggy will still sound exceptional.

yup the manual also clearly stated to feed the music native resolution to the dac. I guess up sampling would break the hole bitperfect  thing.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #809 of 12,398
yup the manual also clearly stated to feed the music native resolution to the dac. I guess up sampling would break the hole bitperfect  thing.

It's not like 16/44.1 can't sound fantastic, all of my music is in that resolution and even my Modi reveals tiny details, so I can't wait until the Yggy is in my home.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #810 of 12,398
Originally Posted by Jamiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

[snip]

You got that right!  Stop right there.  Nobody is going to doubt that you think you hear a difference.  If you had to replace your Yggy the new one bettter darn well be different.  But you are comparing Apples and Oranges with no control apples or oranges.   You need to compare the same Yggy with and without the fuses with the same music in the same total system to do this right.  I would never open up a new Yggy but you seem to be brave.  How about opening it up again and replacing the super fuses with conventional fuses? That's the comparison you want.

Of course you will have two problems producing a valid test if you do this: 1) audio memory is highly unreliable--none of us can really remember accurately for minutes, let alone hours what a fuse substitution does to the sound, and 2) you may or may not be inserting the original fuse in the right orientation unless you marked it when you took it out.

Of course some would say that if you hear that big a difference it can't be the fuse causing the change since fuse changes are supposed to be subtle, but I'm not that close-minded.  Go ahead and do the comparison on the same Yggy and let us know what you hear,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back