Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #856 of 12,405
Can I ask someone knowledgeable at Schiit to shed a bit more light on why the Yggy has to be left on at all times?

I understand it's something to do with the DAC chips temperature but even a valve amp would reach operating temperature in an hour or so? The chips inside the Yggy are of course Solid State...? Why do they need a week to reach optimal state?

I have a Yggy and I love it - I'm just curious. Thank you!

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #857 of 12,405
Just to help you out here, nothing to do with wit or popularity. It is science and with a history lesson. Look up DC vs AC.

Well see thats the thing, I only intended to compare the Schiit wall wart to an aftermarket power supply not make some DC vs AC argument (which I know nothing about).  My mistake was not realizing that the wall wart was also linear and explicitly labeling it as such in my post.  The fact that the wall wart is in fact linear does not change my observations though.     

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #858 of 12,405
@ciphercomplete, the point being made here is that the Wyrd wallwart outputs Alternating Current - nothing to do with linear, its simply steps down incoming 110 (or 230) Volts AC down to 9v AC, but it's still fully AC.

Inside the Wyrd box, this AC is first converted to DC before doing whatever it does. 

Now, your HD-Plex linear power supply only outputs DC as far as I can tell  (i.e.it has already done the conversion from AC to DC), so the Wyrd main box is trying to convert that to DC again.

What happens when you input the wrong type of voltage into a component I guess will depend on its exact design.
Maybe nothing happens, or maybe there's a funny noise, or maybe the insides will blow up. For that reason, what the guys here are saying is that they are surprised that you managed to get anything at all from this combination, let alone something that actually sounding better.

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #859 of 12,405
Yeah I would probably not do that. Even if it's working now, if there is a full wave bridge rectifier inside the Wyrd, supplying it with DC means that only two of the diodes are conducting all the current, instead of four. You may end up toasting some diodes if this is what is happening (it seems entirely plausible).

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #861 of 12,405
Well if you shove DC across a standard bridge rectifier, only one half of the rectifier ever gets used and it effectively doesn't change much from the input. Filter caps don't do much since it's already DC. Voltage regulators will drop it to whatever level it's supposed to be. There may or may not be an issue here if they require a certain amount of voltage headroom, but I dunno. That all said, I'm just talking about a very general textbook power supply. I have no idea what Schiit has inside their boxes.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #862 of 12,405
Impression time - sorry mine will not read like a polished professional kind; just listing down my thoughts. I am at around 100 hr point. Mine is a speaker based setup.

Every other DAC may be able to retrieve all information but what matters is the rendition and that is what is addicting here.

I have noticed that Sting's albums, generally, have complex recording and Yggy is good with those too.

Might sound funny, Yggy shows you how good Pandora is in doing their job. Listen to some Paul Taylor, Marion Meadows, Dav Koz stuffs, you will love it.

Yggy lets you enjoy every bit of music. I earlier had the tendency of ignoring (unconsciously) instruments played between passages in songs but now, everything is played so beautifully, you enjoy every bit of it.

Over a period, it lets you identify houses of recording. Since I am from India and there are 3-4 recording labels, I can now distinguish between the albums recorded by different recording labels. The ones recorded by Sony are best.

I am feeling like I wasted all my years listening to just probably 50% of what is there in a CD.

Yggy also proves that this DAC thing is a complicated science and I am not sure why all these big names in HiFi business have been producing crappy CD players. 

I can confidently say that anyone who has still not crossed $2000 mark for DAC, should try Yggy.

I can also say that in future if at all I have money for any expensive DAC, it will be a daunting mental work to decide on a new one.

What power cord are u using? Stock?

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #864 of 12,405
  Can I ask someone knowledgeable at Schiit to shed a bit more light on why the Yggy has to be left on at all times?

I understand it's something to do with the DAC chips temperature but even a valve amp would reach operating temperature in an hour or so? The chips inside the Yggy are of course Solid State...? Why do they need a week to reach optimal state?

I have a Yggy and I love it - I'm just curious. Thank you!

Here's what Schiit states about that in the manual, FWIW: 

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance.
Seriously. No kidding.

Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation.
Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we’re not going to speculate on what you hear...but we’re sure you’ll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen for yourself, and make your own decisions.

Sooooo...turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can’t hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days.

And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too. 

Of note, the new Gungnir Mulitbit manual does not state this, although it may still apply since the DACs are similar. The included manual may not have been updated from the original Gungnir. 

But I've been turning my Gungnir MB off sometimes, and after warm up, I have not really noticed that much sound difference vs. leaving it on constantly, which I've also done. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #865 of 12,405
Computer Audiophile has gotten a Yggy in for review.  Right out of the box, Chris is impressed.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/delightful-digital-analogue-converter-week-~-25657/#post461228

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #866 of 12,405
My Yggy impressions -- a non comprehensive look at what's knocking me over:

IMOYMMV

I've not owned or expect to own $3k - $10k dacs. However, with care and attention to detail, I felt that the dacs spending time in my system, Benchmark, Metrum Octave, Schiit Bifrost Uber, along with bel canto USB interface provided me with transparency, texture, and dynamics. Very real musical presentation. However, I made the Yggy plunge, mainly because I liked Schiit's philosophy ("...to give you the most from the music you already have..."), had experience with several of their products, and really believe in the importance of source components.

So upon receipt of Yggy, I left it on, ran many playlists through it, and spent a couple hours a day listening. Sounded good, maybe an improvement here and there, but not amazing, not a revelation. So, a couple weeks of "on" time and 150-200 hours playing time.

On day 14, a light switch was turned on. The recording space (or illusion of a recording space) is fully lit from top to bottom, side to side, corner to corner. The performance, the detail of all participants' performance in every recording is there. Gillian Welch's voice wavers imperfectly on a single note, The Band's shifting instruments are completely separate yet propel the tune hypnotically forward, Billie Holiday's reedy voice is alive, cushioned by Lester Young's sax, John Scofield's guitar tone is lush and round, then augmented by Medesky, Martin, & Wood punching and ramping everything up to highway speed.

In short, I now have truth of timbre in real space like I've never heard it in my system. And for me, this is what separates Yggy from the lesser digital front ends I've had. Timbre is, of course, the sum of the qualities that makes a saxophone and trumpet sound different from each other when playing the same musical notes. But all dacs enable us to tell a sax from a trumpet. How about very similar sounds in a recording?

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings harmonize very closely. But Yggy reveals their differences. In 'The Way It Goes', her "slightly punk" diction almost snarls while Rawlings' voice is the one that's clear as a bell. Didn't catch that before.

In Miles' 'Flamenco Sketches', the two saxes are not somewhat different, they are hugely different in their woody, honky presentations.

Different textures from the same guitar in one song? Absolutely, from Kenny Burrell's 'My Ship', as I've never heard it.

Yes, this dac delivers detail, detail, detail, but for me it's the real life timbre of detail that shows me what a great dac can bring to my system.

Yggdrasil's sudden accomplishment of break-in doesn't fit in with my years of hi-fi fun. I've "somewhat" believed in this happening, but in the past it's been "yeah, I think I hear a difference now". Never before did a component say "OK, I'm ready, let's listen to music".

Which I am now doing, re-listening to everything. Schiit, to me, is doing just what they claim - giving me the most from music I already have.

P.S. This is with PC - mostly 16/44 rips - JPLAY - Wyrd - Gen 3 USB.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #867 of 12,405
I bought a set of gears. WYRD->Yggdrasil->Mjolnir 2->Audeze LCD3. Schiit apparently does not intend to make stock cable anytime soon. I am thinking about buying a new set of cables as well. Is there any suggestion on what cable I should get for each? I am mostly listen to rock, pop, jazz genre.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #869 of 12,405
  I bought a set of gears. WYRD->Yggdrasil->Mjolnir 2->Audeze LCD3. Schiit apparently does not intend to make stock cable anytime soon. I am thinking about buying a new set of cables as well. Is there any suggestion on what cable I should get for each? I am mostly listen to rock, pop, jazz genre.

I got some balanced interconnects from this guy from ebay... Loving them so far 
http://stores.ebay.com/Dyson-Audio-Interconnections?_trksid=p2047675.l2563&rmvSB=true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back