Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #12,212 of 12,396
This happens with your BF2?
Nope never, owned two Bifrost 2/64 units and just got this Bifrost 2 OG, nothing happened like this. Only have had problems with the Yggys.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #12,214 of 12,396
Probably the Yggy GS2 firmware bugs. My MiB Yggy+ firmware version is flawless so far
Pretty annoying, just sent them a support form about it. Already had the first GS2 replaced for the panel freeze-ups, only for it to have the same issue with the second unit. Also just sent my MJ3 back for a faulty gain switch and to have the bad capacitors replaced on it. Just a bit frustrated with how my higher price Schiit products have played out, but haven't found anything else that gets close to the sound. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #12,215 of 12,396
They had a problem with the chip (DSP firmware) when upgrading Yggy OG and plus. That is why they now ask which Yggy version when ordering an upgrade card. It had to do with the new front panel.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #12,216 of 12,396
Pretty annoying, just sent them a support form about it. Already had the first GS2 replaced for the panel freeze-ups, only for it to have the same issue with the second unit. Also just sent my MJ3 back for a faulty gain switch and to have the bad capacitors replaced on it. Just a bit frustrated with how my higher price Schiit products have played out, but haven't found anything else that gets close to the sound. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Sounds like there’s some electrical gremlins in your house that frying up your Schiit or something

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #12,217 of 12,396
Sounds like there’s some electrical gremlins in your house that frying up your Schiit or something
I wish it was that simple haha, never had any problem with any other source gear companies, or even lower cost Schiit products. Modi/Magni/Modius/Asgards 2 and 3, Jot 2, Bifrost 2 and 2/64 all had no issues. Only the MJ3 and Yggy GS2s.

Will keep troubleshooting, but hopefully it gets worked out soon.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #12,218 of 12,396
I wish it was that simple haha, never had any problem with any other source gear companies, or even lower cost Schiit products. Modi/Magni/Modius/Asgards 2 and 3, Jot 2, Bifrost 2 and 2/64 all had no issues. Only the MJ3 and Yggy GS2s.

Will keep troubleshooting, but hopefully it gets worked out soon.
Yikes! Did this happen from the beginning of you using the units or after you had them for a while? My GS2 hasn't had a problem yet, but I will certainly keep my ears out.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #12,219 of 12,396
Yikes! Did this happen from the beginning of you using the units or after you had them for a while? My GS2 hasn't had a problem yet, but I will certainly keep my ears out.
Both pretty much from the start, have had them since end of December though, have just been dealing with it and power cycling when needed, but it's starting to bug me.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #12,220 of 12,396
Some thoughts on the Yggdrasil LIM vs the Bifrost OG. The LIM is new, the BF2 is a few years old.

In my experience, differences between DACs are small, but audible. My Bifrost2 was a bit of an exception when I first got it because it was quite clearly the best sounding DAC I had heard. I loved the solid, tight bass and energetic character combined with a warm, slightly thick sound that never the less was detailed and natural sounding.

The LIM is maybe not as big a step up as the Biffrost was (diminishing returns and all that), but there’s a few areas where it really shines and it’s definitely a step up. The clarity and imaging are so good even familiar tracks are mesmerizing. That clarity extends all the way down to the sub bass range, making for a very tactile sound. Detail is also improved and so are micodynamics, though not by much.

Similar to the BF2, the sound is warmish, but not as thick as the BF2, with a very natural overall tonality. Imaging is better than the already excellent BF2 imaging, but similar in width and depth.

Long story short, if you’re looking for a high end DAC with a sound not too dissimilar from the BF2, it’s a good choice.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #12,221 of 12,396
Some thoughts on the Yggdrasil LIM vs the Bifrost OG. The LIM is new, the BF2 is a few years old.

In my experience, differences between DACs are small, but audible. My Bifrost2 was a bit of an exception when I first got it because it was quite clearly the best sounding DAC I had heard. I loved the solid, tight bass and energetic character combined with a warm, slightly thick sound that never the less was detailed and natural sounding.

The LIM is maybe not as big a step up as the Biffrost was (diminishing returns and all that), but there’s a few areas where it really shines and it’s definitely a step up. The clarity and imaging are so good even familiar tracks are mesmerizing. That clarity extends all the way down to the sub bass range, making for a very tactile sound. Detail is also improved and so are micodynamics, though not by much.

Similar to the BF2, the sound is warmish, but not as thick as the BF2, with a very natural overall tonality. Imaging is better than the already excellent BF2 imaging, but similar in width and depth.

Long story short, if you’re looking for a high end DAC with a sound not too dissimilar from the BF2, it’s a good choice.
Same file delivery for both? Unison?

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #12,222 of 12,396
Both pretty much from the start, have had them since end of December though, have just been dealing with it and power cycling when needed, but it's starting to bug me.
You shouldn't have to deal with these issues especially at the price point of the Yggdrasil and MJ3. Hopefully Schiit will make it right and iron out the bugs with these devices. I had heard nothing but universal praise for the MJ3 until your post.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #12,223 of 12,396
You shouldn't have to deal with these issues especially at the price point of the Yggdrasil and MJ3. Hopefully Schiit will make it right and iron out the bugs with these devices. I had heard nothing but universal praise for the MJ3 until your post.
Read up in the MJ3 thread, various problems with first run units, apparently a bad batch of capacitors that Schiit is now silently replacing as they come in for repair. Several others have also had the issue with the gain switch (when flipping the switch, only 1 channel bumps up to high gain, while the other doesn't).

But yeah, I love the sound of both the Yggy and the MJ3, just wish my experience was them was a bit less frustrating.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #12,224 of 12,396
Read up in the MJ3 thread, various problems with first run units, apparently a bad batch of capacitors that Schiit is now silently replacing as they come in for repair. Several others have also had the issue with the gain switch (when flipping the switch, only 1 channel bumps up to high gain, while the other doesn't).

But yeah, I love the sound of both the Yggy and the MJ3, just wish my experience was them was a bit less frustrating.
Wow! I will check out the MJ3 thread. Most of the MJ3 impressions that I read were in the comments of YouTube reviews and that does explain why the comments would be more positive.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #12,225 of 12,396
Same file delivery for both? Unison?
Unfortunately no. The LIM got the optical SPDIF and the BF2 got the RCA SPDIF. I suppose I could have used a laptop for the source and used unison but I didn’t think of it until just now. Source resolution ranged from 16/44.1 to 24/96 depending on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back