Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #12,199 of 12,305
Wow A2s with unison keep popping up for good prices, another for $1625 in the marketplace right now.

I really wish I could demo an A2 to compare to the A1 in my GS2. The GS1 is such a great DAC but FOMO and nervosa getting to me with this one 😅
Oh I understand this feeling perfectly. There is not a damn thing wrong with A1 but I still did the thing and switched to A2.
Reselling A1 isnt that hard either as it sits in a price bracket that isnt currently filled by anything since there is no Gungnir currently. A1s go for $1300-1400.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #12,200 of 12,305
I sometimes find that when a highly regarded item goes out of production, it can become unobtanium fast then can acquire an inflated, mythical quality to it. My pocketbook is telling me to JOMO the A2 now that I have the A1. If I end up finding the A1 to be lacking qualities that I want in my system, I will explore whatever upgrade cards that Schiit has for sale at the time. FOMO nervosa is so real! But as long as folks can afford what they want to try, no harm at all. My wife would tell me “if you are happy with your Mani 2, there is no rational justification as to why you just bought a Skoll!” 🥴

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #12,201 of 12,305
I sometimes find that when a highly regarded item goes out of production, it can become unobtanium fast then can acquire an inflated, mythical quality to it. My pocketbook is telling me to JOMO the A2 now that I have the A1. If I end up finding the A1 to be lacking qualities that I want in my system, I will explore whatever upgrade cards that Schiit has for sale at the time. FOMO nervosa is so real! But as long as folks can afford what they want to try, no harm at all. My wife would tell me “if you are happy with your Mani 2, there is no rational justification as to why you just bought a Skoll!” 🥴
The A1 is certainly no slouch, and if you picked up your A1 through the Yggy+ GS2 deal then you'll also have NOS to play with.
Finding that I prefer NOS on the A1 for headphone use. Plenty of detail, very dynamic, overall just really happy with how it sounds.
NOS on the A1 also feels a bit wider and more spacious than it did with the MCB filter in my headphone setup. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #12,202 of 12,305
Oh for sure the A1/GS are amazing sounding. Very clean and wide presentation that quites neutral to my ears, and has big dynamic swings.

On another note I got my Yggy OG A2 two days early somehow! Bets Fedex drop ever. Already gettin' Bae warmed up.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #12,203 of 12,305
Some nice weeks ahead of warming up and having a blast along the way.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #12,204 of 12,305
Apr 27, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #12,205 of 12,305
The A1 is certainly no slouch, and if you picked up your A1 through the Yggy+ GS2 deal then you'll also have NOS to play with.
Finding that I prefer NOS on the A1 for headphone use. Plenty of detail, very dynamic, overall just really happy with how it sounds.
NOS on the A1 also feels a bit wider and more spacious than it did with the MCB filter in my headphone setup. 🤷‍♂️
I enjoy NOS on my Yggy+ GS2 as well (just received the unit March 29th). The sound from the NOS mode is somewhat more spacious. I think the GS2 has better synergy with the MJ3 than the BF 2/64 in my system. The overall sonic presentation is smoother with slightly more details at the same time. Soundstage appears larger. Vocals sound more "real" since I can detect more nuances associated with performers' voices...

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #12,206 of 12,305
Well I got no NOS on my OG but Lordy i love this DAC already. It is certainly very close to A1 but I definitely hear more richness and vibrancy. A touch more bass presence. A touch more plankton as well. And I'm not noticing any loss of clarity at all- Im sure Mentor helps with that. Overall a fantastic pairing.

It does kind of sound like NOS is quite good on GS2s which is pretty neat.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #12,207 of 12,305
I'll be honest, the Yggdrasil is really starting to annoy me. So many bugs in how it works. Panel freeze-ups requiring a power cycle, which resets the dumb warmup period. Now mine is doing this thing where cycling the inputs moves the light along, but the USB input continues to play through the outputs, while no other inputs work, no matter which input the Yggy is set on.

Then we have a slew off clocking issues where my audio will randomly be in super slo-mo and have to change the sample rate to a different setting and then back.

This is my second Yggdrasil with a bunch of bugs, and I'm getting tired of it. Every other DAC I've used has just worked.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #12,208 of 12,305
I'll be honest, the Yggdrasil is really starting to annoy me. So many bugs in how it works. Panel freeze-ups requiring a power cycle, which resets the dumb warmup period. Now mine is doing this thing where cycling the inputs moves the light along, but the USB input continues to play through the outputs, while no other inputs work, no matter which input the Yggy is set on.

Then we have a slew off clocking issues where my audio will randomly be in super slo-mo and have to change the sample rate to a different setting and then back.

This is my second Yggdrasil with a bunch of bugs, and I'm getting tired of it. Every other DAC I've used has just worked.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is the first time that I'm hearing of these issues with the Yggdrasil. In my experience, after the initial warm up period when new, subsequent warm ups don't take long to obtain optimal performance.

What is Schiit saying about your problems? I have an OG A2 and it has been flawless. I received mine prior to the new Yggdrasil+ and one of the reasons why I didn't want to upgrade to the modular version was to prevent any potential issues down the road.

Which version did you have each time?

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #12,209 of 12,305

Probably something is triggering your Yggy+ GS2 firmware to go haywire. No issues with any Schiit DAC I've owned and never had issues with the MiB as well (second unit from the first ever batch). Could be just isolated to GS2 firmware IMHO.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #12,210 of 12,305
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is the first time that I'm hearing of these issues with the Yggdrasil. In my experience, after the initial warm up period when new, subsequent warm ups don't take long to obtain optimal performance.

What is Schiit saying about your problems? I have an OG A2 and it has been flawless. I received mine prior to the new Yggdrasil+ and one of the reasons why I didn't want to upgrade to the modular version was to prevent any potential issues down the road.

Which version did you have each time?
Both GS2 Yggy+ in the new chassis. Both had same set of issues, and I've seen others with the same problems on headfi. Seems to be a relatively common problem. Schiit replaced the first one after I complained, but the second GS2 has the same exact issues.

First issue with panel freeze-ups and no sound output until power cycle:
Panel-freezup video

Second issue with the input selector not changing inputs, USB signal plays through all input choices:
Input select failure video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back