Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #12,226 of 12,391
Unfortunately no. The LIM got the optical SPDIF and the BF2 got the RCA SPDIF. I suppose I could have used a laptop for the source and used unison but I didn’t think of it until just now. Source resolution ranged from 16/44.1 to 24/96 depending on the track.
Oh I just noticed the Pi. Should be really good.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #12,227 of 12,391
I'll be honest, the Yggdrasil is really starting to annoy me. So many bugs in how it works. Panel freeze-ups requiring a power cycle, which resets the dumb warmup period. Now mine is doing this thing where cycling the inputs moves the light along, but the USB input continues to play through the outputs, while no other inputs work, no matter which input the Yggy is set on.

Then we have a slew off clocking issues where my audio will randomly be in super slo-mo and have to change the sample rate to a different setting and then back.

This is my second Yggdrasil with a bunch of bugs, and I'm getting tired of it. Every other DAC I've used has just worked.
That is very frustrating, Man, i feel for you there. I guess i'll mention -if nothing else just for the data point- that Ive never experienced any of those issues/

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #12,228 of 12,391
I'll be honest, the Yggdrasil is really starting to annoy me. So many bugs in how it works. Panel freeze-ups requiring a power cycle, which resets the dumb warmup period. Now mine is doing this thing where cycling the inputs moves the light along, but the USB input continues to play through the outputs, while no other inputs work, no matter which input the Yggy is set on.

Then we have a slew off clocking issues where my audio will randomly be in super slo-mo and have to change the sample rate to a different setting and then back.

This is my second Yggdrasil with a bunch of bugs, and I'm getting tired of it. Every other DAC I've used has just worked.

I have a theory! Do you use remotes that also relies on IR such as your Air Conditioning remote? There's a possibility to send illegal actions to firmware hence Yggy goes haywire

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #12,229 of 12,391
I have a theory! Do you use remotes that also relies on IR such as your Air Conditioning remote? There's a possibility to send illegal actions to firmware hence Yggy goes haywire
This is as a good thought as any, for sure. Would explain why this has only happened on the Yggy+ version, and how it's happened to him twice.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #12,230 of 12,391
Haha nope, no other remotes besides my television remote, and I rarely use my TV in this room. I don't even use the remote for the Yggy. Thanks for guessing though!

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #12,231 of 12,391
Haha nope, no other remotes besides my television remote, and I rarely use my TV in this room. I don't even use the remote for the Yggy. Thanks for guessing though!
Do let us know how Schiit handles this for you. It sounds like you have a defective GS2, which is a shame but happens. I’ve had no such issues after a year of use with an Yggy+ OG, I too have a not so clean power context, this sounds like a unit issue.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #12,232 of 12,391
Do let us know how Schiit handles this for you. It sounds like you have a defective GS2, which is a shame but happens. I’ve had no such issues after a year of use with an Yggy+ OG, I too have a not so clean power context, this sounds like a unit issue.
It truly sucks it has happened to two of his units thus far. I got my unit in December like he did. Thankfully I don’t have any issues, but I wonder what it is that made both his units bad. A certain assembler putting in the A1card to the chassis? No idea. I just hope he gets it taken care of soon!

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #12,233 of 12,391
Yep, I really think it's just bad luck. The first GS2 unit had a mute button that did not properly mute the outputs fully either, all problems were there on both units from the start. I really don't feel like paying the shipping cost to ship the 20 pound Yggy from NJ back to CA, as I just had to pay to ship my MJ3 there, so we're gonna see what they say and decide what to do from there.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #12,234 of 12,391
Yep, I really think it's just bad luck. The first GS2 unit had a mute button that did not properly mute the outputs fully either, all problems were there on both units from the start. I really don't feel like paying the shipping cost to ship the 20 pound Yggy from NJ back to CA, as I just had to pay to ship my MJ3 there, so we're gonna see what they say and decide what to do from there.
Can you ask Schiit to compensate you for the shipping cost if you decided to have them take a look of this unit one more time? I had to pay shipping cost to send my MJ3 back to SoCal to replace two blown capacitors two months ago. I also just bought the Yggy+ GS2 too... Hope the new unit will behave...

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #12,235 of 12,391
Having just paid shipping costs from NYC to Fayetteville for my A2 Yggy and for shipping to New Hampshire for my sold A1 I get the angst and frustration. I only had to pay half each time thankfully. Still out a hundo though.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #12,236 of 12,391
I sometimes find that when a highly regarded item goes out of production, it can become unobtanium fast then can acquire an inflated, mythical quality to it. My pocketbook is telling me to JOMO the A2 now that I have the A1. If I end up finding the A1 to be lacking qualities that I want in my system, I will explore whatever upgrade cards that Schiit has for sale at the time. FOMO nervosa is so real! But as long as folks can afford what they want to try, no harm at all. My wife would tell me “if you are happy with your Mani 2, there is no rational justification as to why you just bought a Skoll!” 🥴
Haha.

Except Skoll is amazing (not “just for the money”). Coupled with my Kara - the equal/beat my Classe’ DR6R. Mani? I would tend to doubt it (though TBF have no experience)

May 1, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #12,238 of 12,391
May 1, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #12,239 of 12,391
Not sure why they say it is not upgradeable, that would concern me. Did they modify it in some way?

Not sure. But the rear does not look like the DAC card can be removed.

May 1, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #12,240 of 12,391
So someone is selling a non-upgradeable version of this DAC. Is it a worthwhile version to get?
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/650100044-schiit-yggdrrsil-dac/
All Yggys are upgradeable unless something very weird is going on.

I think he's just tripping. Thats the A2 OG as well so i dont think there'd be a reason to upgrade it ever; especially with Unison already.

Here is how you open up the OG cases (like that one).
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...l-gen-5-unison-usb-upgrade-instructions.4842/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back