Aug 13, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,832 of 2,717
testing for science

music kept going for around 20ish seconds, light staying on to spite me

3 to 4 minutes to go completely off

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,834 of 2,717
testing for science

music kept going for around 20ish seconds, light staying on to spite me

3 to 4 minutes to go completely off
It all depends on where the LED is wired into the circuit. If it's before a cap, it'll probably go out immediately. If it's after a cap, it'll probably linger for a while.

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,835 of 2,717
That's normal, my 2 1/2 year old V2 has done that from day 1.

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,836 of 2,717
Ok, so, I have a quick question:

How would you remove a 12Axx to ECC88 adapter (or socket saver) from the V2 once you’ve installed it?
I use a pair of serrated long-ish hemostatats....after powering down of course!
Its an interesting topic of discussion. My WA2 plays music for a solid 10-15 seconds after powering off, but the light turns off immediately. The MJ2 is the same way.

I remember old power amps slowly fading off after powering down.

I am guessing it was a design choice and has more to do with keeping the circuit simple
Pretend you're back in the 60's & 70's with tube TVs. You can stare at the phosphor dot on the screen (LED) until you're hypnotized.

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,837 of 2,717
I use a pair of serrated long-ish hemostatats....after powering down of course!

Pretend you're back in the 60's & 70's with tube TVs. You can stare at the phosphor dot on the screen (LED) until you're hypnotized.
The “Outer Limits”: ‘we control the horizontal, we control the vertical…”

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #1,838 of 2,717
So I tried driving the headphones after removing power, turned volume up, etc, and it seems to make no difference in how long the white led says on. It’s very slowly dimming like normal. It’s been over 15 minutes now and I’m guessing there’s another 15 or 20 to go before it is out.

And yes, the high voltage caps in an amp can and do hold their charge for a long time. At Sonos in the hardware lab where I work, we have special discharge boxes to discharge these capacitors. AMP and SUB have 400V rails and a fair amount of capacitance. You do not want to get zapped by one of those caps! I’ve not yet had that happen but one of the other engineers has and let’s just say it isn’t fun.

So I installed the adapters and my CV455’s and spent an hour or two listening and . . . is it possible I got really REALLY lucky with my stock tubes?

Or do I need to wait like 10 hours more before the CV455’s hit their stride?

Or is it possible I got unlucky with my CV455’s?

Because . . . so far, I think I prefer the stock tubes. Sorry if this is insanity!!! LOL!

Will try the CV4033’s tomorrow, I think.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,840 of 2,717
If after 50 hours you still feel the same, you can turn your audiophile card in at the exit. :D

Seriously -- give it 50 hours. Preferences and synergy play a big part. Plus, if the stock tubes were that horrible, I don't think Schiit would include them. :wink:

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,841 of 2,717
So one of my CV4033’s has a crackle / poor connection sound. I cleaned the pins with an eraser and 91 percent iso and reseated, but no joy. I also cleaned the adapters but I know it’s not them as the CV455’s were perfect.

Any suggestions?

Also, re: cleaning, I found the Tombow Mono Zero eraser pen/stylus to be the perfect tool for cleaning tube pins.

Oh, and to remove the adapter that didn’t come out with the tube, I cut two strips of blue painters tape and used a plastic spudger tool to adhere the ends to opposite sides of the adapter, then just grabbed each one and lifted and gently rocked back and forth and voila! No metal, no excessive force or pressure on the adapter.

Ok. 50 hours! Got it! Hmmmm.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,842 of 2,717
Plus, if the stock tubes were that horrible, I don't think Schiit would include them. :wink:
if the price fits, i'm sure they would include anything

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,843 of 2,717
if the price fits, i'm sure they would include anything
I have to side with ‘the Ripper’ on this one. Exploitation does not promote longevity…

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #1,844 of 2,717
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good brand of "pro" audio cables for my Sennheiser 6xx? Since we are all using the Valhalla here, you know I can't use balanced cables so please keep that in mind with your recommendations. I understand there is an element of "snake oil" with a lot of these cables, but I can afford to buy my little bits of peace of mind

:) :)

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,845 of 2,717
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good brand of "pro" audio cables for my Sennheiser 6xx? Since we are all using the Valhalla here, you know I can't use balanced cables so please keep that in mind with your recommendations. I understand there is an element of "snake oil" with a lot of these cables, but I can afford to buy my little bits of peace of mind

:) :)
I’ve used c3audio.com (formerly called Charleston Cable Company) and they’re top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back