Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #1,861 of 2,717
Not having much experience with stereo cables, it would be a WILD risk for me to pay that much for a headphone cable. How much more advanced can the tech be than the normal Sennheiser cable? I imagine the answer may be "considerable" so I suppose I will keep looking. Also, the reason the one I had was priced so high is because I need it to be ten feet to my listening chair while i read :)
Please continue the discussion on the “Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories” forum. I would rather hear dialogue over the Valhalla (I or II) here.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,862 of 2,717
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good brand of "pro" audio cables for my Sennheiser 6xx? Since we are all using the Valhalla here, you know I can't use balanced cables so please keep that in mind with your recommendations. I understand there is an element of "snake oil" with a lot of these cables, but I can afford to buy my little bits of peace of mind

:) :)
I'd DM @Paladin79. He's made a couple sets for my HD650's and HD700's. Quite reasonably priced and very high quality.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #1,863 of 2,717
its kinda nuts

so with my Lokius in the shop I've been banging my head trying to tune everything good again and not much luck - reminds me how much I hate the Valhalla (or I hate how it pairs with my headphones) - but I decided to roll in the JJ's with the IR's to see if they paired nicely by some chance, and I found musically they worked, there was something synergistic about the sound, but then ran some test tracks that I've been using lately and holy hell. Echos and detail I pick up on my integrated amp heavily and the 455's well enough, were completely absent. I'm talking echo on the vocal track, layers in the background. Gone.

The other difference is that on the JJ/IRs I was maxing out the volume on some older songs again, something that I wouldn't dare with the Brimars. The latter are just louder tubes. Tubes increase gain? Apparently.

It's really a testament to how necessary the 455s are or something on that level. I thought the JJs were hugely superior to stock, but losing all that detail going back, its jarring.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,864 of 2,717
its kinda nuts

so with my Lokius in the shop I've been banging my head trying to tune everything good again and not much luck - reminds me how much I hate the Valhalla (or I hate how it pairs with my headphones) - but I decided to roll in the JJ's with the IR's to see if they paired nicely by some chance, and I found musically they worked, there was something synergistic about the sound, but then ran some test tracks that I've been using lately and holy hell. Echos and detail I pick up on my integrated amp heavily and the 455's well enough, were completely absent. I'm talking echo on the vocal track, layers in the background. Gone.

The other difference is that on the JJ/IRs I was maxing out the volume on some older songs again, something that I wouldn't dare with the Brimars. The latter are just louder tubes. Tubes increase gain? Apparently.

It's really a testament to how necessary the 455s are or something on that level. I thought the JJs were hugely superior to stock, but losing all that detail going back, its jarring.
Would you mind explaining what you mean by the "455"s? Are those specific tubes for the Valhalla? I would hate to realize I'm missing out on such detail.

Also, I've considered getting a Lokius for my Modius/Valhalla stack, what's wrong with yours?

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,865 of 2,717
Would you mind explaining what you mean by the "455"s? Are those specific tubes for the Valhalla? I would hate to realize I'm missing out on such detail.

Also, I've considered getting a Lokius for my Modius/Valhalla stack, what's wrong with yours?

The Brimar CV455 tubes that have been bought by a bunch of us here. I wouldn't say its as good on detail as much as it exposed my previous stuff for not being up to par.

For the eq, the problem was one of the outputs developed a buzz. (sent back for exchange)

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,866 of 2,717
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,867 of 2,717
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,868 of 2,717
Ah, noise.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,869 of 2,717
bxxvfyACsgGxBP2dg4xsPw0Csjo=.gif

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,870 of 2,717
I need to burn in my JJ gold pins, but for what it's worth, on initial listen, I actually thought that on the whole they weren't even as good as the stock tubes. But I'm starting to get the feeling that I lucked out somehow on my stock tubes.

Now, the Brimar CV4033's on the other hand, those are pretty great tubes! I still have the quiet crackling sound on one of them that isn't going away with hours on the tubes, but at medium to loud volumes, I don't hear that, I only hear how great the 4033's are. Fortunately, the seller is sending me another pair, which is super awesome of him! With the crackle gone, the 4033's would be top of the heap based on what I've heard so far (which admittedly isn't much).

My Brimar CV455's I still haven't run in yet, so I will withhold judgement, but what I can say is that both the 455's and the 4033's I'm pretty sure have greater gain than my stock tubes. So lower position on the volume knob will get me the same loudness at my headphones. I think. If memory serves.

I also have some Foton 6N6P tubes now, which I will try swapping in soon also.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,871 of 2,717
I need to burn in my JJ gold pins, but for what it's worth, on initial listen, I actually thought that on the whole they weren't even as good as the stock tubes. But I'm starting to get the feeling that I lucked out somehow on my stock tubes.

Now, the Brimar CV4033's on the other hand, those are pretty great tubes! I still have the quiet crackling sound on one of them that isn't going away with hours on the tubes, but at medium to loud volumes, I don't hear that, I only hear how great the 4033's are. Fortunately, the seller is sending me another pair, which is super awesome of him! With the crackle gone, the 4033's would be top of the heap based on what I've heard so far (which admittedly isn't much).

My Brimar CV455's I still haven't run in yet, so I will withhold judgement, but what I can say is that both the 455's and the 4033's I'm pretty sure have greater gain than my stock tubes. So lower position on the volume knob will get me the same loudness at my headphones. I think. If memory serves.

I also have some Foton 6N6P tubes now, which I will try swapping in soon also.
I'll be sending you tracking when I get home lol. That pair went out this morning.

For reference, I have a pair of cv4033(currently using) that took almost 40 hours before the crackling was gone. It was intermittent and sometimes would go away after re-seating the tubes. Burn in for me was the ticket. My pair im using now has over 200 hours on them and haven't heard the faintest crackle since the 40 hour mark.
It's happened with other tubes as well over the past 8 years I've been rolling.
Anyone buying tubes in the future. Give them some time. After 50 and still crackling. Send them back lol.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,872 of 2,717
If your stock tubes are pre-Gorbachev Voskhod rocket 6N1P-EV, they are excellent tubes. I rolled the hell out of my Vali 2+ and it was the best by a long shot.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,873 of 2,717
I'll be sending you tracking when I get home lol. That pair went out this morning.

For reference, I have a pair of cv4033(currently using) that took almost 40 hours before the crackling was gone. It was intermittent and sometimes would go away after re-seating the tubes. Burn in for me was the ticket. My pair im using now has over 200 hours on them and haven't heard the faintest crackle since the 40 hour mark.
It's happened with other tubes as well over the past 8 years I've been rolling.
Anyone buying tubes in the future. Give them some time. After 50 and still crackling. Send them back lol.

So, now everyone knows who the awesome seller is! LOL!

So, Guidostrunk, is there some sign that it will eventually go away--the crackle? Like does it get slightly better with each passing hour? Because the crackle on that one tube pretty much hasn't changed from the start. It's maybe slightly less loud than it was in the first few minutes, but other than that, exactly the same at hour 1 as at hour 20. Meanwhile the other tube in the pair was fine from minute 1. Does that say something? Or can you just not tell when and how the crackle will burn away and be gone? Asking for future reference and also for those reading this thread.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,874 of 2,717
If your stock tubes are pre-Gorbachev Voskhod rocket 6N1P-EV, they are excellent tubes. I rolled the hell out of my Vali 2+ and it was the best by a long shot.

Gorby ruined everything, even the tubes

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,875 of 2,717
So, now everyone knows who the awesome seller is! LOL!

So, Guidostrunk, is there some sign that it will eventually go away--the crackle? Like does it get slightly better with each passing hour? Because the crackle on that one tube pretty much hasn't changed from the start. It's maybe slightly less loud than it was in the first few minutes, but other than that, exactly the same at hour 1 as at hour 20. Meanwhile the other tube in the pair was fine from minute 1. Does that say something? Or can you just not tell when and how the crackle will burn away and be gone? Asking for future reference and also for those reading this thread.
Mine sounded the same the whole way through pretty much. Mine was intermittent though. I'd go a few hours and it would appear. I'd shut everything down. Pull the tubes. Wait a couple minutes. Put them back in and all gone. It was pretty annoying and I almost gave up on them lol.
I remember when it went away for good. I did the above. Went to bed and just let music play throughout the night at low volume, and through the next day while I was working and never heard it again after.
It is a weird sound. Almost like some type of interference from something lol.

You should have the new pair Thursday or Friday. So you can keep trying those if you want until then. I'll be sending you a pm with tracking here shortly for the new pair. I'll refund you $10 to ship the other pair back. 😁

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back