Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 14, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,156 of 2,717
Thanks! Socket savers will sure help with tubes cooling. Personally i do not use socket savers for power tubes because it looks silly(too long) :). Socket savers raise front tubes to the level of power tubes, so looks good. Only problem i have is that i ordered those savers from China via Ebay (black ones) and those do not have enough grip, so when i try to pull tubes out, socket saver mostly remains in the Valhalla and it is hard to get it out :) .... No problem with adapters for 6N3 tubes.
You are correct, the socket-savers--once inserted in VH2, seem to not want to come back out. I am afraid of sticking needle-nose pliers in their with caps still holding lethal dosages of current. And out of 10 socket-savers, I have had two with bad soldering inside which made them not functional, so the fewer the better.

May 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,157 of 2,717
You are correct, the socket-savers--once inserted in VH2, seem to not want to come back out. I am afraid of sticking needle-nose pliers in their with caps still holding lethal dosages of current. And out of 10 socket-savers, I have had two with bad soldering inside which made them not functional, so the fewer the better.
The set I got a couple years ago (eBay/China) didn't work off the bat. But after cleaning up the amateur soldering job, they've been working like champs ever since. I found that a medium-sized set of hemostats with serrated jaws could get between the Valhalla's grill and the saver's top edge and I could work them out without too much trouble. Once the front LED fades out, I'm not too worried about voltages or heat.

May 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #1,158 of 2,717
The set I got a couple years ago (eBay/China) didn't work off the bat. But after cleaning up the amateur soldering job, they've been working like champs ever since. I found that a medium-sized set of hemostats with serrated jaws could get between the Valhalla's grill and the saver's top edge and I could work them out without too much trouble. Once the front LED fades out, I'm not too worried about voltages or heat.

Actually the ones inside the Valhalla 2 have not had problems, the two bad ones were soldering issues, but I am not a DIY guy so my soldering skill level isn't up to the challenge:L3000:

May 15, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,159 of 2,717
Hey everyone,

a proud owner of a Valhalla 2 here. It's my first tube AMP, but have no idea whatsoever about tubes in general. Basically bought it, cause I heard its a good compliment to the Sennheiser HD650 and can definitely hear a difference between it and my Magni 3.
The unit I bought is used. Original tubes were changed - there are 2 identical russian 6N1P (no idea if matched or not) and 2 different russian 6N6P. For my ears it sounds fantastic the way it is, but would definitely like to experiment a bit.

Because I'm definitely new at this, would kindly ask if someone can summarize these 78 pages with some tube suggestions that won't break my wallet, but are preferred by the majority of Valhalla 2 users around. And couple of questions if I may:
1. Do the 6N6P tubes make a significant difference in sound, or its just the 2 input tubes?
2. What difference does matched vs not matched tubes make?

Thank you in advance!

May 15, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,160 of 2,717
Hey @c0rp1 ! folks! hope all is well!

Hey everyone,

a proud owner of a Valhalla 2 here. It's my first tube AMP, but have no idea whatsoever about tubes in general. Basically bought it, cause I heard its a good compliment to the Sennheiser HD650 and can definitely hear a difference between it and my Magni 3.
The unit I bought is used. Original tubes were changed - there are 2 identical russian 6N1P (no idea if matched or not) and 2 different russian 6N6P. For my ears it sounds fantastic the way it is, but would definitely like to experiment a bit.

Because I'm definitely new at this, would kindly ask if someone can summarize these 78 pages with some tube suggestions that won't break my wallet, but are preferred by the majority of Valhalla 2 users around. And couple of questions if I may:
1. Do the 6N6P tubes make a significant difference in sound, or its just the 2 input tubes?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the group! As far as I know, matching is recommended for POWER tubes and won't make a big difference for input...

and yep, for Valhalla 2, seems like the biggest difference will be by swapping the input tubes... not the power... so 6N1P for 6922, 6DJ8/ECC88/ECC85/6BZ7...

If they sound fantastic AS IS... sit back and enjoy! :)
otherwise the rabbit hole can become overwhelming... :) :) :)
cheers!

May 15, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,161 of 2,717
Hey everyone,

The unit I bought is used. Original tubes were changed - there are 2 identical Russian 6N1P (no idea if matched or not) and 2 different Russian 6N6P. For my ears, it sounds fantastic the way it is, but would definitely like to experiment a bit.

Because I'm definitely new at this, would kindly ask if someone can summarize these 78 pages with some tube suggestions that won't break my wallet, but are preferred by the majority of Valhalla 2 users around. And a couple of questions if I may:
1. Do the 6N6P tubes make a significant difference in sound, or it's just the 2 input tubes?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Valhalla, the resting place of the Norse Gods. I too am new to tubes but have had a steep learning curve since the Vali 2 arrived in December 2018. My answers to the two questions are based on MY experience. The 6N6P power tubes are all basically the same, and rolling them to a "matched pair" or "Vintage" versions will not make a huge difference in SQ. They are a commodity item where a "Gold-Grid" Foton pair will sell for 4 for $14.95 all over the internet. The stock tubes will be no different than what you purchase.

Matched tubes are preferred but not required. I have two matched sets of driver tubes and two mismatched orphans. My ears can hear subtle differences from tubes to other tubes, and the mismatched pair sound as good as the matched pair. Your mileage may vary.

My suggestions would be to look at 6DJ8-type tubes, and E88CC-variants (all nine-pin)
Vivatubes.com have a selection of "Tests NOS-matched pairs" from $20 and up.

I have gone down a rabbit hole of socket-savers, and adapters to use 6SN7 tubes for drivers.

If you are going to use adapters, buy a pair of "12a*7 to 6922" adapters and look to the nine-pin 12a*7 variants (AU, AT, AY, AX--each with different Gain). The 12A* family are electrically similar to 6SN7 and have very strong reviews (Old stock Mullards, Tungstram, et. al).

I find the Valhalla is voiced for the 6N1P tubes that Jason selected. The 6DJ8 is a warmer more wholesome, tubey sound. The 6SN7 is problematic because you must stack two socket-savers to get the huge adapter and tube to connect. That is a wobbly proposition--and hardly worth the effort if a pair of 12AU7 sound just as good with one adapter.

May 15, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,162 of 2,717
WOW, you are moving through the early phases of Audiophilia Nervosa--'Tube-Rolling Syndrome' rather quickly...Well-played, Mate!

My 12a*7 adapters are on the slow boat from the Chin Dynasty...and the NOS Mullards are on my list as they come very well recommended by several rollers, I trust.

I found that rolling 6SN7 tubes didn't seem to improve my sound quality as I experience it on the Vali 2, so I am sticking to nine-pin variants for Valhalla 2, 6DJ8 being the current flavor of the week.

And I agree--not only are there very limited choices in 6N6P power tubes, but the stock tubes are also the same as the others offered for '4 for $14.95'.
Unless you want a set as back-up, rolling to a $45 pair of 'Matched Gold Grid pair from Rarium--1950' will probably not affect sound quality as say going from a stock driver tube to a vintage Mullard 12at7. YMMV

Thanks brotha, I'm a quick learner lol

May 15, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,164 of 2,717
Nice. I think you'll like them. My buy was from a new Russian seller trying to establish themselves. The price was for 4, but the seller sent 2x extra as a bonus. They were all pristine. I'm sure prices have gone up a bit. Needless to say, I gave him a great review. :D

May 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,165 of 2,717
Anybody have some recommendation for good 6N6P power tubes? I tried Foton but was little bit dissapointed.

May 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,166 of 2,717
Anybody have some recommendation for good 6N6P power tubes? I tried Foton but was little bit dissapointed.
I would not waste my time, with power tubes, on the Valhalla 2, and would spend the money on input tubes.

May 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,168 of 2,717
I would not waste my time, with power tubes, on the Valhalla 2, and would spend the money on input tubes.
I have a lot of input but no power tubes :)... I just think that some day my power tubes will die anyway so why not find some to have already :). I dont expect much from it, I am just curious.

May 15, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,169 of 2,717
I have a lot of input but no power tubes :)... I just think that some day my power tubes will die anyway so why not find some to have already :). I dont expect much from it, I am just curious.
Schitt Audio, is the place to buy more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back