Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,336 of 2,717
I am always curious when such a question arises--what would you improve? I do not think there is a problem that needs addressed, the bugs got worked out in 2. The basic OTL headphone amplifier circuit is pretty well established, I don't think any special sauce is involved. It sells for $349. The next closest competitor is the WA-3 at $599 if you exclude Chi-Fi and kit builds.

Are there other chi-fi other than little dots? Because I heard LD otl amps are outdated

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,337 of 2,717
I am always curious when such a question arises--what would you improve? I do not think there is a problem that needs addressed, the bugs got worked out in 2. The basic OTL headphone amplifier circuit is pretty well established, I don't think any special sauce is involved. It sells for $349. The next closest competitor is the WA-3 at $599 if you exclude Chi-Fi and kit builds.
I bet this model is as good as it can get (barring cheaper components becoming available). I'm thrilled to see the listed price remain the same. My hunch: the Valhalla-2 will remain as their desktop option. What I'm concerned about is the supply of 6N6P (non-roll-able 'power tubes') will dry up. I'm hoping that eventually, Schiit will re-introduce the LISST plug-ins. Meh, I'll concern myself with that problem in 5 or so years -- or whenever those tubes eventually burn out. :)

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,338 of 2,717
I bet this model is as good as it can get (barring cheaper components becoming available). I'm thrilled to see the listed price remain the same. My hunch: the Valhalla-2 will remain as their desktop option. What I'm concerned about is the supply of 6N6P (non-roll-able 'power tubes') will dry up. I'm hoping that eventually, Schiit will re-introduce the LISST plug-ins. Meh, I'll concern myself with that problem in 5 or so years -- or whenever those tubes eventually burn out. :)
There does not appear to be a shortage of 6N6P, those were made in mass quantities. I bought four off ETSY from a fellow Ukraine, and there are lots of 12 or more regularly advertised on eBay. If I burn through 6 tubes, I can always fall back on the ECC99 sold by JJ-Electronic. It is not identical but it sounds sweet.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,339 of 2,717
There does not appear to be a shortage of 6N6P, those were made in mass quantities. I bought four off ETSY from a fellow Ukraine, and there are lots of 12 or more regularly advertised on eBay. If I burn through 6 tubes, I can always fall back on the ECC99 sold by JJ-Electronic. It is not identical but it sounds sweet.
Re: flush 6N6P stock. The ECC99 is identical to the 6N6P... and pin configuration (just want to add this info to the thread so it’s searchable in the fututre, eh). :ksc75smile:

I picked up some well crafted compilations from HD Tracks (Chesky Records). They really ARE superiorly produced files! My only nerdy bugaboo is that when I place these tracks using a Chromebook, I can’t see the Kbps values as they go into my Modi (on my PC, I can see all those nice-nerdy output values as I use the Win7 Foobar player).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,340 of 2,717
Re: flush 6N6P stock. The ECC99 is identical to the 6N6P... and pin configuration (just want to add this info to the thread so it’s searchable in the fututre, eh). :ksc75smile:

I picked up some well crafted compilations from HD Tracks (Chesky Records). They really ARE superiorly produced files! My only nerdy bugaboo is that when I place these tracks using a Chromebook, I can’t see the Kbps values as they go into my Modi (on my PC, I can see all those nice-nerdy output values as I use the Win7 Foobar player).
They can be substituted, but they are not "identical" Apparently the Russian had an exclusive on 6N6P, the ECC99 works and sounds good, but the 6N6P are brighter and lively by comparison.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #1,341 of 2,717
Hi everybody,
recently I found that power tubes matters. But it is icing on the cake and it is mostly about synergy with driver tubes. Somehow my underestimated Sylvania 6CG7 with my underestimated 6N6P Foton tubes works together that i have now this combination in my Valhalla for about month without desire to change it. Occasionally i sometimes put some other tubes in but switch it back very soon again. Foton 6N6P have little less subbas extension but tighter bass in comparsion with Novosibirsk 6N6P. I thought Fotons are just little worse than Novosibirsk. But Sylvania 6CG7 are warm tubes with already great subbas extension, so tighter bass is great. Just wanted to let you know. It is really very little sound difference but for me it made me use Sylvanias 6CG7 as my main tubes now instead of my favourite Tung-sols. The Foton 6N6P tubes costed me only about $5 each so in this hobby it is not much to get it and play with it. I have to say it is with a Beyerdynamic T1.1, thats important.

I also tried JJ ECC802S tubes - long plated 12AU7 version. It is good, great soundstage, little too bright fot T1, but it is not burned in so i dont have relevant opinion yet. I still prefer 6CG7 family more for now (my Sylvanias 6CG7 have more natural timbre). I will write about them later on.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,342 of 2,717
Hi everybody,
recently I found that power tubes matters. But it is the icing on the cake and it is mostly about synergy with driver tubes. Somehow my underestimated Sylvania 6CG7 with my underestimated 6N6P Foton tubes works together that I have now this combination in my Valhalla for about month without a desire to change it. Occasionally I sometimes put some other tubes in but switch it back very soon again. Foton 6N6P have little less sub-bass extension but tighter bass in comparison with Novosibirsk 6N6P. I thought Fotons are just a little worse than Novosibirsk. But Sylvania 6CG7 are warm tubes with already great sub-bass extension, so tighter bass is great. Just wanted to let you know. It is really very little sound difference but for me it made me use Sylvania 6CG7 as my main tubes now instead of my favorite Tung-sols. The Foton 6N6P tubes cost me only about $5 each so in this hobby it is not much to get it and play with it. I have to say it is with a Beyerdynamic T1.1, that's important.

I also tried JJ ECC802S tubes - long plated 12AU7 version. It is good, great soundstage, little too bright for T1, but it is not burned in so I don't have a relevant opinion yet. I still prefer 6CG7 family more for now (my Sylvania 6CG7 have more natural timbre). I will write about them later on.

Novosibirsk vs. FOTON. That is a new one for me. SPOILER ALERT: All Russian Tubes are not the Same. I don't know if I could discern a big difference between the two former Soviet factories.
JJ-Electronic ECC99 is not "identical" to 6N6P but they will replace them. They are differences which I could clearly hear.
I prefer the 6N6P in Valhalla for two very good reasons: 1. Designer Stoddard built Valhalla 2 to use these ubiquitous valves. 2. In the twilight years of the former CCCP, they were producing 6N6P at a fevered pace, hence a HUGE Post-Cold War supply. (And they are relatively cheap)
In the other hole, I have found that the Brimar CV4024 sound almost as good as the Brimar CV4033. I own both and prefer to reserve the CV4033 while enjoying the CV4024.
Zero desire to seek "better".

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,343 of 2,717
Novosibirsk vs. FOTON. That is a new one for me. SPOILER ALERT: All Russian Tubes are not the Same. I don't know if I could discern a big difference between the two former Soviet factories.
JJ-Electronic ECC99 is not "identical" to 6N6P but they will replace them. They are differences which I could clearly hear.
I prefer the 6N6P in Valhalla for two very good reasons: 1. Designer Stoddard built Valhalla 2 to use these ubiquitous valves. 2. In the twilight years of the former CCCP, they were producing 6N6P at a fevered pace, hence a HUGE Post-Cold War supply. (And they are relatively cheap)
In the other hole, I have found that the Brimar CV4024 sound almost as good as the Brimar CV4033. I own both and prefer to reserve the CV4033 while enjoying the CV4024.
Zero desire to seek "better".
Yes, in early pages of this thread people talking about Fotons, i bought it because of these informations. There is definitely a difference but worth few dollars not more. I thought that i will need some more power tubes later anyway so why not to try it :)

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,345 of 2,717
Sep 7, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #1,347 of 2,717
My V2 suddenly had current noise this morning. I changed all tubes and the noise is still there. Any idea what's wrong?
Thanks
Uh oh. Did you contact Schiit and ask for clarification?

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,349 of 2,717
Thank you! I contacted and didn't get reply. Very unsatisfied with the guy called Nick.
But I found there is no noise when I move to another room though I cannot figure out what's the Interference
Ask for Grover. He's very responsive. Gentle reminder: email tone can be terse. Hell, you might be thinking that I'm being condescending towards you. I'm not.
Sincerely,
Scubaman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back