Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Sep 17, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,352 of 2,716
Thanks. I thought I had also posted it in this thread last week. Apparently I only posted in the Vali2 thread. I guess I was too shakened by the news. He passed on 9/10, IIRC.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,354 of 2,716
Thanks -- I see that now. Several of us were chatting with Robert on his SLACK chatroom on 9/9. He was pretty excited that his Vali 2 was A-OK after a tube failure. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #1,355 of 2,716
This was mentioned in the Jason Stoddard's thread, but I figured I would relay it here. Robert Padgett apparently passed a few weeks ago. I know he wrote a lot here.
Thank you for the information, Didnt know that :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,356 of 2,716
This was mentioned in the Jason Stoddard's thread, but I figured I would relay it here. Robert Padgett apparently passed a few weeks ago. I know he wrote a lot here.
Thanks -- I see that now. Several of us were chatting with Robert on his SLACK chatroom on 9/9. He was pretty excited that his Vali 2 was A-OK after a tube failure. :frowning2:
It's surreal and sad to know someone online, and then they are no-more. His electronic footprint remains. I appreciated my online time with him.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #1,358 of 2,716
Valhalla 1(early version, can't roll): broke a small/front tube, need replacements.
What's the best value tube/where to order it?

HD650 + HD700 , Mostly gaming/movies but of course a healthy love of music too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,359 of 2,716
Good morning folks! hope all is well.

is there anyone around using the Valhalla 2 with a turntable? :)

I’m contemplating getting one... doesn’t need to be high end at all... so thinking of having a switch like SYS and switch back and forth....

thoughts? thanks!

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,360 of 2,716
Good morning folks! hope all is well.

is there anyone around using the Valhalla 2 with a turntable? :)

I’m contemplating getting one... doesn’t need to be high end at all... so thinking of having a switch like SYS and switch back and forth....

thoughts? thanks!

I am using mine with a turntable. Two actually. Currently have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon and a Dual 1215 connected via a Pro-ject DS2 Tube Box phono preamp. Before I got the Dual, I had a Sony PS-LX510 in the system (still want to get it back in).

As you are probably aware, you would need a phono preamp between the turntable and the Valhalla (or have a turntable with a built in phono preamp).

The SYS would work for switching between two inputs going to the Valhalla. I would suggest having the volume on the SYS turned to max so it is sending the full line signal to the Valhalla and then you control volume with that (being fully passive, the SYS will provide no gain, so why not). That being said, there are plenty of passive switches without volume pots in them that you can find. I currently use a Realistic Tape Control Center so I can select which source I want to listen to and where its signal should go (since I have the Valhalla 2 as well as a tube integrated amp for speakers, and a reel to reel that sometimes I decide I want to have fun and dub something to tape).

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,361 of 2,716
Hey @judson_w, folks! Hope all is well!

I am using mine with a turntable. Two actually. Currently have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon and a Dual 1215 connected via a Pro-ject DS2 Tube Box phono preamp. Before I got the Dual, I had a Sony PS-LX510 in the system (still want to get it back in).

As you are probably aware, you would need a phono preamp between the turntable and the Valhalla (or have a turntable with a built in phono preamp).

The SYS would work for switching between two inputs going to the Valhalla. I would suggest having the volume on the SYS turned to max so it is sending the full line signal to the Valhalla and then you control volume with that (being fully passive, the SYS will provide no gain, so why not). That being said, there are plenty of passive switches without volume pots in them that you can find. I currently use a Realistic Tape Control Center so I can select which source I want to listen to and where its signal should go (since I have the Valhalla 2 as well as a tube integrated amp for speakers, and a reel to reel that sometimes I decide I want to have fun and dub something to tape).

Yeah, I am aware that I would need a phono preamp... but I will quite likely get a turntable with one built in... as I am still in the early research phase, still trying to find out the best bang for the buck route.

To be honest, not really sure if it will be a good "investment" as I DO enjoy the "convenience" of digital (just put together a raspberry pi running Plex server, feeding the BiFrost (via optical cable/Hifi berry)... and I am super happy with its quality!

I guess the "turntable" is more of a nostalgia feeling as I would love to go back to what we had growing up, the whole experience of sitting down to enjoy music... checking out the album cover, remove from the sleeve... etc... :) :) :)

cheers!

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,362 of 2,716
Hey @judson_w, folks! Hope all is well!

Yeah, I am aware that I would need a phono preamp... but I will quite likely get a turntable with one built in... as I am still in the early research phase, still trying to find out the best bang for the buck route.

To be honest, not really sure if it will be a good "investment" as I DO enjoy the "convenience" of digital (just put together a raspberry pi running Plex server, feeding the BiFrost (via optical cable/Hifi berry)... and I am super happy with its quality!

I guess the "turntable" is more of a nostalgia feeling as I would love to go back to what we had growing up, the whole experience of sitting down to enjoy music... checking out the album cover, remove from the sleeve... etc... :) :) :)

cheers!

While I am mostly a vinyl listener, I can understand the convenience of digital (no real need for quotes; it is convenient). I also am a glutton for variety so my sources in my system are:
-Pro-ject Debut Carbon
-Dual 1215
-Teac A-2300SD (reel to reel)
-A Marantz SD-432 (cassette tapes)
-Oppo BDP-83 (CDs)
-Raspberry pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT

The Oppo and the Raspberry Pi both feed into a Modi Multibit.

With the raspberry pi, I understand the appeal of queuing up several albums and letting them play one after the other without flipping and changing records.

Whenever friends ask me for recommendations for vinyl, I do my best first to dissuade them as it can be cumbersome and a money sink. Then if they persist, I gauge their level of interest. For most of my friends, my system is overkill for them (hell, the phono preamp costs more than some of their systems in their entirety). I do not judge those who do not need or want a lot, though I do my best to steer them away from Crosleys and such. There are decent inexpensive tables out there, and some used ones that are not bad either. I got my Sony PS-LX510 for $35 from Craigslist. Yes, I then spent double that getting a new cartridge for it, but I could have saved money by just replacing the stylus. Point being, there are some inexpensive stand alone preamps out there, so $35 for table, $30 (estimate) for new stylus, and $50 for a phono preamp puts you at $115 which is not too bad. Of course, used could have other issues.

I am rambling now, so I will stop.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,364 of 2,716
Hey @judson_w ! folks! Happy Friday!

While I am mostly a vinyl listener, I can understand the convenience of digital (no real need for quotes; it is convenient). I also am a glutton for variety so my sources in my system are:
-Pro-ject Debut Carbon
-Dual 1215
-Teac A-2300SD (reel to reel)
-A Marantz SD-432 (cassette tapes)
-Oppo BDP-83 (CDs)
-Raspberry pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT

The Oppo and the Raspberry Pi both feed into a Modi Multibit.

With the raspberry pi, I understand the appeal of queuing up several albums and letting them play one after the other without flipping and changing records.

Whenever friends ask me for recommendations for vinyl, I do my best first to dissuade them as it can be cumbersome and a money sink. Then if they persist, I gauge their level of interest. For most of my friends, my system is overkill for them (hell, the phono preamp costs more than some of their systems in their entirety). I do not judge those who do not need or want a lot, though I do my best to steer them away from Crosleys and such. There are decent inexpensive tables out there, and some used ones that are not bad either. I got my Sony PS-LX510 for $35 from Craigslist. Yes, I then spent double that getting a new cartridge for it, but I could have saved money by just replacing the stylus. Point being, there are some inexpensive stand alone preamps out there, so $35 for table, $30 (estimate) for new stylus, and $50 for a phono preamp puts you at $115 which is not too bad. Of course, used could have other issues.

I am rambling now, so I will stop.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... Hope it ain't too "way"off topic... hehehe

I have a very similar setup with the Hifiberry DIGI+ and I am sending the optical signal to the Bifrost... pretty happy, so that is definitely "tricky" to beat the convenience of skipping tunes and switching albums with a mouse click... My old vinyls from my teenage years might be at my mom's... but not sure if she kept the boxes... :) but I do miss the selection process of an album, checking the cover... out of the sleeve... and literally sit back and relax...

Is there anyone from MONTREAL here? :) heading there for meetings / training.. and hopefully i'll squeeze time to chill.. and maybe grab a turntable...

have a great weekend , peeps!

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,365 of 2,716
Hi, am I correct that Valhalla mk1 cannot tube roll? so all I can do is replace exact same tubes, sorry for a newbie question

Yes/no, I believe there are two versions of the Valhalla 1, the early ones are locked in, but latter on they upgraded it to rolling even before the Valhalla 2 was released.
You would have to email Schiit with the serial number on the back to get confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back