Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jul 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,306 of 2,717
Hello,

I have the second generation...I was torn but wanted to "hear" the lastest from Beyerdynamics....
WIth the T1's compared to other headphones they sound more reserved, polite and not very forwwrd or bright....
Very much unlike the T90's I have and more like the DT1350's I have however with a much smaller overall presentation...

The T1's 2nd gen are "toned down" from other brighter cans like to me the HD600's which I have as well.

So with many amps the T1's can seem kind of "dull", not dark like LCD2's 2gen which I had.

But when paired with the Vahalla 2 they come alive and present a very nice accurate, musical soundstage...it makes me keep them when I think
of selling them.

On the other hand the HD 600's also work very well with the Vahalla 2 as well....just a different sound...is it better or more accurate?
That decision IMO is fro the end user...to me they both world class.

The T'1's I got for about $ 750 + V2 $ 349 = $1099
Senn HD 600 for about $ 300 + V2 $349 = $649

Both on the low end of this hobby IMO and both work well.

I would rate them with the V2:

T1 = +9
HD600 = +8

Alex

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,307 of 2,717
I am the proud owner of a Valhalla 2 and I absolutely love it. Truth be told, this is the only tube amp I’ve ever listened to that has hit the perfect balance between detail and the difuse. I’ve actually listened to a fair few of them by now, Bottlehead Crack/Mainline, WA2, WA6, LDs, DVs and a Danish Vincent - most of em with supposedly upgraded tubes, and while there often was a lot to love about the overall sound presentation, I still turned up prefering the ss amp in the dap I brought with me.
Now maybe it’s just me slowly surrending myself to the tubes, head burn-in and all, but I’d like to think that this little silver box from feaces has a hand in it as well:)
I have at least read a lot of seasoned tube folks talking about how little the Valhalla 2 actually sounds like a tube when using it in stock form. That fairly well corresponds with how I hear it as well, although I do hear an increase in detail and plankton when shifting to solid state....but that really doesn’t matter because what I get instead is this riveting holography as well as a electrifying shimmer in the high frequencies that together quite successfully injects a little shamanistic Tinkerbellish magic into just about any headphone I care to listen to.
I was fairly surprised to find out just how wonderful it works with my Sundara. Damn that is one beautiful combo. You get the serene, distortionless and highly detailed Universe of the Sundara spruced up with that enveloping holographic stage as well as the euphonic distortions of the tubes working incredibly well to add body to sound. Drums, violins, guitars, djembes, farfisa organs, saxophones and marimbas all seem to soak up an almost wooden note to them making them seem more earthy.
I am more than satisfied with my Valhalla...but I do have a couple of questions.

1) Being an OTL amp I figure the output impedance goes up as I increase the volume. My question is: if I volumematch low and high gain (impossible when owning just one I know but in theory) will the output impedance also match?
It’s just that I vastly prefer it on low gain when using high impedance cans. In high gain I have close to zero volume control whereas I usually am about 12 on low.
My experience with solid states is that they sound the same in low and high gain, but the difference in output impedance on the Valhalla threw me a little:wink:

2) Nevermind:-D

Edith: Cans that I’ve paired successfully with the Valhalla are the hd580, r70x, Sundara, d7200, hf580, pro580i, q701, k260, n501, HD660s, Nighthawk, Elex as well as the hd58X that I’m wearing this minute:)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,308 of 2,717
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of VH2. There's just something about it that leads me to listen to it even more-so than my Lyr 3!! My favorite HP with VH2 is the Hifiman Ananda (I upgraded from Sundara). It is a low impedance headphone, but thanks to its efficiency, it works wonderfully with VH2, much to the chagrin of my HD6XX cans.

As far as tubes go -- I STRONGLY suggest rolling in a 12AU7 or 12AT7 class tube (adapter needed for both). The best pairing I have found with VH2 is the Brimar CV4033s. They are absolutely wonderfully detailed with a lush (not gooey) midrange coupled with nice shimmery top-end and nice extended bottom-end with a touch of slam. They run about $45 each at Tubemonger and are an excellent pairing with the Hifiman sound. :wink:

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,309 of 2,717
I’m a little wary of going down the tube-hole most especially now that I found one that I really love the sound of.
One of the nicer things about the Valhalla 2 when I first considered it was the fact that it sounded great in stock form...or so I’d read:p

I live in Denmark so if I do decide to tinker with some other tubes, I think I’ll see what’s available here. Seems a little crazy to me ordering something so small and insignificant from the other side of the world...but then again I haven’t owned a tube amp before.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,310 of 2,717
Fortunately for you, all the really great 12AT7/12AU7 family tubes are more readily available on your side of the world. Mullard and Brimar CV4003s are probably more easily found and are also very, very good, BTW. If you do either, you're likely set for tubes -- no need to keep looking, IMHO. Have fun and most of all -- ENJOY the music!! :wink:

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,311 of 2,717
Welcome @Kammerat Rebekka !
My Valhalla 2 was also my first tube amp experience, and I am super happy I did give it a shot! You will have lots of fun and I also recommend 12AT7/12AU7 family... I love my experience with Mullards 12AT7... at least here in Canada, it is NOT an expensive NOS, and cheaper than other 12AX7/12AU7s...

Yep, enjoy the music indeed!

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,313 of 2,717
I am fairly certain that if I do decide to roll some tubes it’ll be ones I can just pop in there without any adapter.

I would agree with that if you were considering rolling 6SN7 tubes (which require two socket-savers and a big adapter to work on VH2), but a '12a*7 to 6922' adapter fits right in the chassis of the VH2 and that family of tubes offer a great range of choices, including different levels of gain for the U, T, and X versions.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,314 of 2,717
I would agree with that if you were considering rolling 6SN7 tubes (which require two socket-savers and a big adapter to work on VH2), but a '12a*7 to 6922' adapter fits right in the chassis of the VH2 and that family of tubes offer a great range of choices, including different levels of gain for the U, T, and X versions.

And from my experience, it's interesting that along with different gain levels, we will also see different PRICING as well... so, for me, it has been pretty cool to find an outstanding performance that comes along a cool price point!

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,315 of 2,717
And from my experience, it's interesting that along with different gain levels, we will also see different PRICING as well... so, for me, it has been pretty cool to find an outstanding performance that comes along a cool price point!

I am certainly pleased with new production JJ 12au7 which were $8/each. I have read good things about some New Sensor re-issue Mullards and E-H 12a*7 tubes also.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,316 of 2,717
I am fairly certain that if I do decide to roll some tubes it’ll be ones I can just pop in there without any adapter.
6CG7 tubes needs no adapter and it is electrically identical with 6SN7 tubes. Many ppl like them and i also have a very good experience.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,318 of 2,717
I want to share some impessions after longer listening time with these tubes. I think my Tung-Sol 6CG7 are still better - more dynamic, clear and resolving. I think that these Mullards are too much on the dark side a I have a feeling something is lost in detail. I have to try some other 12AU7 to compare :)

Can I ask what adaptors you are using the Tung-Sol 6CG7? I’ve seen people mention using Tung-Sol for the power tubes in the VH2. Is this where you have them?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,320 of 2,717
Can I ask what adaptors you are using the Tung-Sol 6CG7? I’ve seen people mention using Tung-Sol for the power tubes in the VH2. Is this where you have them?
In Valhalla you can use 6CG7 as driver tubes (front tubes). You dont need any adapter at all! Just put it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back