Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #197 of 404
I got my Valhalla today.  Excellent build quality, I cant find anything cheap about it anywhere. 

I had my 650s plugged straight into my Xfi card, now the amp is in between.  My initial impression is there is a definite reduction in bass.  As if someone turned the bass slider down, there is much less of it and isnt as low.  I listen to electronica on Pandoa One, so this bothers me, I'll hope this changes as it breaks in.

Has anyone else noticed this, or know how it ages?

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #198 of 404
sorry to state the obvious, but did you connect the amp to the line-out of your card, as opposed to the headphone out?

Quote:
I got my Valhalla today.  Excellent build quality, I cant find anything cheap about it anywhere. 

I had my 650s plugged straight into my Xfi card, now the amp is in between.  My initial impression is there is a definite reduction in bass.  As if someone turned the bass slider down, there is much less of it and isnt as low.  I listen to electronica on Pandoa One, so this bothers me, I'll hope this changes as it breaks in.

Has anyone else noticed this, or know how it ages?

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #201 of 404

Yep, it's connected to the line out (green) port on the card http://pdfguides.com/images/uploads/Connections-Creative-Labs-70SB088600002-SoundBlaster-X-FI-Titanium.jpg

I had my 650s connected to this port and they sounded pretty good, the mids and highs were clear and bass was well defined, it felt like it just needs more power to be even better.  When I plugged in the valhalla the overall bass was reduced by about 50%, the rest sounded about the same.  I emailed to Jason at Schiit and will plan on letting the tubes break in more before deciding anything.
Quote:
sorry to state the obvious, but did you connect the amp to the line-out of your card, as opposed to the headphone out?

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #202 of 404
That's not true line out, you're technically amping the sound card's amp which is bad. Someone had tried this with the Asgard and ended up returning his.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #204 of 404
The Xfi Titanium isnt one of those soundcards that has a built in headphone amp like the Asus Xonar or Auzen Forte, I do recall what you're talking about with those soundcards you could plug into either the headphone amped port or the line out port.  Creative just makes normal soundcards, theres one main line out, the rest are surround speakers or optical.

I'm thinking about possibly buying an asgard as well to see if it plays with my setup better, while still breaking in the tubes on the valhalla hoping for a change.

Quote:
That's not true line out, you're technically amping the sound card's amp which is bad. Someone had tried this with the Asgard and ended up returning his.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #205 of 404
My initial, surface impressions. FLAC source -> CIAudio VDA-1 DAC -> Valhalla -> HF-2s:

1. It's a gorgeous piece of work.
  2. Good bass punch and extension. Maybe a just a tad flabby here and there.
  3. Very good soundstage, even with the Grados.
  4. Detail and separation are very good.

And the reports are true - it runs HOT. How hot you may ask? It's difficult for me to hold my hand on the top of the case for more than 30 seconds. It should make a decent space heater when the weather starts getting chilly. The heat issue concerns me. BUT, so far I do like the sound of the Valhalla. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it, seeing how it settles in, and comparing it to my tricked-out Millet MiniMAX hybrid.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #206 of 404
It's not true line out, it's still amplified. Its "line out" is not line level. A true line out is unamped which the X-Fi Titanium doesn't have. I've tried amping a X-Fi through its 3.5mm "line out" with another external amplifier before a long time time ago when I still had one, it was a complete waste of time and I ended up buying another source.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #207 of 404
Gah I hate this.

After listening to V-DAC -> Valhalla -> HD650 all night last night, my portable rig (uDAC -> SRH840) sounded like crap at work today.
mad.gif
I will make it a point never to go to meets where people will bring higher end setups.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #208 of 404

Quote:

And the reports are true - it runs HOT. How hot you may ask? It's difficult for me to hold my hand on the top of the case for more than 30 seconds. It should make a decent space heater when the weather starts getting chilly. The heat issue concerns me. BUT, so far I do like the sound of the Valhalla. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it, seeing how it settles in, and comparing it to my tricked-out Millet MiniMAX hybrid.

I have some news for everyone - tube amps run hot.  Tubes make heat.  Period, end of story.  All of them.  Nothing to worry about.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #210 of 404

Quote:
I have some news for everyone - tube amps run hot.  Tubes make heat.  Period, end of story.  All of them.  Nothing to worry about.

News? I know that. You know that. Taken in that context, IMO this amp still runs pretty effing hot. While it's not an apples to apples comparison, the Valhalla is many times hotter than my hybrid once it reaches operating temperature. Certainly "tubes make heat", but that doesn't mean temperature issues shouldn't be mentioned or discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back