Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Jul 9, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #137 of 231
If you use it in reverse you need to keep SYS volume at full. That's what I do.

I understand keeping it at full if I have an integrated amp hooked up to it. But I have a power amp hooked tp it. Some people mentioned earlier that the volume adjustment doesn't work in reverse, so that is why I am asking about it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #138 of 231
Just got one of these to use in reverse, from a DAC (plugged into Output) 
then Input 1 goes to powered desktop speakers and Input 2 goes to a headphone amp.

The reason I like it is that I can now operate a simple switch instead of having to unplug my headphones when I want to change outputs.

I don't understand Schiit's y-connector suggestion as an alternate to the backwards use I am utilizing.

NOTE: I actually have linear volume control to Input 1 while the volume knob to Input 2 puts out 100% from about 1/8 turn all the way to the top.

I would support a SYS2 with 2 outputs and 1 or more inputs. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #139 of 231
  Just got one of these to use in reverse, from a DAC (plugged into Output) 
then Input 1 goes to powered desktop speakers and Input 2 goes to a headphone amp.

The reason I like it is that I can now operate a simple switch instead of having to unplug my headphones when I want to change outputs.

I don't understand Schiit's y-connector suggestion as an alternate to the backwards use I am utilizing.

NOTE: I actually have linear volume control to Input 1 while the volume knob to Input 2 puts out 100% from about 1/8 turn all the way to the top.

I would support a SYS2 with 2 outputs and 1 or more inputs. 

I use mine for similar use as well, though now I use a powered amp for my headphones.

Something interesting I noticed on my brother's setup. He has a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber with a SYS in reverse to switch between Emotiva 5S powered monitors and the Magni 2 Uber (not sure why, as the Magni 2 Uber has a pre amp stage that is reactive to headphones being plugged in). What I noticed is that after a certain point, maybe after 10 o'clock on the SYS, the lower frequencies just drop off in volume. Things like kick drum and bass guitar. We switched his Emotiva's to the preamp of the Magni 2 Uber and everything sounded fine at lower volume. I'm going to go over there again soon and try having him run the SYS the normal way with his Emotiva's hooked up to the output and see if it's the same. I'm curious if he just has a defective SYS or if that could be a result of using it in reverse.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #140 of 231
If you are using a SYS in reverse, Schiit has always recommended it be used at full volume. Perhaps you have uncovered the reason?

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #141 of 231
  I use mine for similar use as well, though now I use a powered amp for my headphones.

Something interesting I noticed on my brother's setup. He has a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber with a SYS in reverse to switch between Emotiva 5S powered monitors and the Magni 2 Uber (not sure why, as the Magni 2 Uber has a pre amp stage that is reactive to headphones being plugged in). What I noticed is that after a certain point, maybe after 10 o'clock on the SYS, the lower frequencies just drop off in volume. Things like kick drum and bass guitar. We switched his Emotiva's to the preamp of the Magni 2 Uber and everything sounded fine at lower volume. I'm going to go over there again soon and try having him run the SYS the normal way with his Emotiva's hooked up to the output and see if it's the same. I'm curious if he just has a defective SYS or if that could be a result of using it in reverse.

Probably for the same reason I am using mine the exact same way, so I don't have to unplug my headphones to switch outputs to the speakers. And for that matter so that the speakers don't come on if I just want to change from one pr of HP to another.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #143 of 231
  If you are using a SYS in reverse, Schiit has always recommended it be used at full volume. Perhaps you have uncovered the reason?

That's what I'm thinking. I thought they just recommended it be full volume as they expected users to have an integrated amp after it, so no reason to mess with two volumes. I'm going to try this out with mine and see if I get similar results. I'd be upset if it's actually part of using it backwards. Not that I listen very low volume, but it may have other effects at different frequencies across the volume range.

Probably for the same reason I am using mine the exact same way, so I don't have to unplug my headphones to switch outputs to the speakers. And for that matter so that the speakers don't come on if I just want to change from one pr of HP to another.

Makes sense.

I replaced my SYS, (Though I still use it elsewhere) with a Beresford TC-7240 for more options. I always used the SYS in reverse but as I added amps to my table I needed the ability to switch between more. The Beresford is passive as well and works perfectly well compared to the SYS.

Excellent. I was trying to find a unit that actually does what I'm using my SYS for that also has a volume adjuster. What's with the ground on it?

Also, know of any others that may be cheaper? I really just need one input and two outputs with a volume adjuster. If I can avoid paying more for things I don't need/want I'd prefer to.

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #144 of 231
  That's what I'm thinking. I thought they just recommended it be full volume as they expected users to have an integrated amp after it, so no reason to mess with two volumes. I'm going to try this out with mine and see if I get similar results. I'd be upset if it's actually part of using it backwards. Not that I listen very low volume, but it may have other effects at different frequencies across the volume range.

Makes sense.

Excellent. I was trying to find a unit that actually does what I'm using my SYS for that also has a volume adjuster. What's with the ground on it?

Also, know of any others that may be cheaper? I really just need one input and two outputs with a volume adjuster. If I can avoid paying more for things I don't need/want I'd prefer to.

The Beresford does not have a volume dial. The ground is not needed but there if you want to ground it. Mine is grounded to a power conditioner. I thought the Beresford to be a fair price as is. I'm sure there are loads of passive switches to be found on ebay and amazon for sure.

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #145 of 231

The Beresford does not have a volume dial. The ground is not needed but there if you want to ground it. Mine is grounded to a power conditioner. I thought the Beresford to be a fair price as is. I'm sure there are loads of passive switches to be found on ebay and amazon for sure.

Ah, my mistake.

There are lots of other passive switches that do two in and two out, without volume knobs. One thing I could do is go DAC -> SYS -> Switch -> headphones/speakers. That way I would be using my SYS the intended direction, but it seems silly to have that as the chain. I find it rather odd that a switchable output preamp isn't very common.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #147 of 231
Yes if you consider keeping the gain knob at full as trivial.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #148 of 231
So is using the SYS in reverse as simple as plugging the amps in the inputs and the dac on the output?

And keeping the volume knob maxed out to ensure proper sound.

My brother emailed schiit and they reported that the drop in bass output at lower levels was in fact due to it being used backwards.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #150 of 231
Kind of weird why a reverse passive preamp in this hobby isn't a normal thing. Tons of people that use headphones also have speakers they use from time to time as well.

I can't believe an output selector isn't common, either. However some amps, such as the magni 2 uber, have a preamp out that shuts off when headphones are plugged in. So I think most people who switch between speakers and headphones do it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back