Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #122 of 231
  Hello~
Can I connect it like this?
Modi > Sys > Power Amp > Speakers
or do I have to buy a preamp to use the modi with my power amp like an Asgard 2?

Yes! Exactly as you have above!

Basically anywhere you have RCA connections, you can passively adjust the end volume via the Sys. It's a great little box, which does not alter the sound signature, only the volume 
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #123 of 231
  Hello~
Can I connect it like this?
Modi > Sys > Power Amp > Speakers
or do I have to buy a preamp to use the modi with my power amp like an Asgard 2?

I use Sys in the same way. Mine is a little more complex as you can see below. But basically same idea. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #124 of 231
Hey guys, happy new owner of a Vali 2 here. I heard that I could theoretically use a SYS in reverse if I wanted to use both my Vali 2 and a Magni 2 with a Modi 2 DAC and switch amps depending on my preference. My question is, how exactly would they all connect "in reverse" with the SYS? 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #125 of 231
  Hey guys, happy new owner of a Vali 2 here. I heard that I could theoretically use a SYS in reverse if I wanted to use both my Vali 2 and a Magni 2 with a Modi 2 DAC and switch amps depending on my preference. My question is, how exactly would they all connect "in reverse" with the SYS? 

Plug the Modi into the output of the SYS. Plug the Vali and Magni into the inputs. Done.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #127 of 231

One thing to keep in mind is that it wasn't designed for this and you lose the use of the volume knob. For me that volume knob was important (matching was a bit difficult between the amps) so I bought this:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/m-patch-v2

And that one is designed to actually perform the task, so it has more options like switching off one signal to the amp :)

And, if you're in Europe it's a lot cheaper as well :p

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #128 of 231
  One thing to keep in mind is that it wasn't designed for this and you lose the use of the volume knob. For me that volume knob was important (matching was a bit difficult between the amps) so I bought this:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/m-patch-v2

And that one is designed to actually perform the task, so it has more options like switching off one signal to the amp :)

And, if you're in Europe it's a lot cheaper as well :p

Ah nice, thanks. That looks to be a bit overkill for my needs though. Just want to be able to switch between Magni and Vali without swapping cables every time. Does the SYS attenuate some of the incoming signal from the Modi? 

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #129 of 231
Ah nice, thanks. That looks to be a bit overkill for my needs though. Just want to be able to switch between Magni and Vali without swapping cables every time. Does the SYS attenuate some of the incoming signal from the Modi? 

I believe not because you have to have the volume at max for it to work properly.

Out of curiosity: why is it overkill? It doesn't have that many functions :grin:

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #130 of 231
I believe not because you have to have the volume at max for it to work properly.

Out of curiosity: why is it overkill? It doesn't have that many functions :grin:

Well, true. Probably just too many functions for me. 
tongue.gif

For starters, it has its own headphone amp! Not to mention all those XLR jacks, I don't (yet) own anything that has XLR plugs. Perhaps I'm just trying to justify not spending any more money, outside of a Schiit stack, haha. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #131 of 231
Well, true. Probably just too many functions for me. :p

For starters, it has its own headphone amp! Not to mention all those XLR jacks, I don't (yet) own anything that has XLR plugs. Perhaps I'm just trying to justify not spending any more money, outside of a Schiit stack, haha. 

I forgot about that one, it won't work in passive mode (aka no power plugged in) which is how I have set it up. The headphone amp is more of a gimmick though if you ask me. The rest of the unit doesn't need power as it's completely passive.

The xlr is a bit odd I agree but that's because this is a professional audio device, I solved that by buying some xlr to rca cables from thomann.de. Studio grade microphone cable for not much money with neutrik connectors, work like a charm!

And this would replace the SYS preamp as the cheaper option (at least in Europe, can't check other parts of the world) while being more fit for your use case.

Admittedly, the SYS is prettier of you have the complete stack. :wink:

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #132 of 231
I forgot about that one, it won't work in passive mode (aka no power plugged in) which is how I have set it up. The headphone amp is more of a gimmick though if you ask me. The rest of the unit doesn't need power as it's completely passive.

The xlr is a bit odd I agree but that's because this is a professional audio device, I solved that by buying some xlr to rca cables from thomann.de. Studio grade microphone cable for not much money with neutrik connectors, work like a charm!

And this would replace the SYS preamp as the cheaper option (at least in Europe, can't check other parts of the world) while being more fit for your use case.

Admittedly, the SYS is prettier of you have the complete stack. :wink:

Certainly! It's $225USD here in USA, so it's a little out of my budget, but I might actually have a friend that could benefit from this. 

As for myself, yeah, I'll keep everything in the Schiit family. Haha!

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #133 of 231
Can someone comment more about how using the SYS in reverse removes the volume knob's functionality? I am currently using it in reverse to switch between a logitech computer speaker set and an integrated amp, but will be soon getting a power amp. I was planning on just hooking it up to the SYS and using it as the pre amp, but if it only properly works in reverse with the volume all the way up I may have to find a different solution.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #134 of 231
Not following you.  I used the SYS as a preamp.  It worked great 2 in 1 out.  Now I use it as a switch with my VALI 2 as the preamp between it and the amplifier.  Does that answer the question?

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #135 of 231
  Not following you.  I used the SYS as a preamp.  It worked great 2 in 1 out.  Now I use it as a switch with my VALI 2 as the preamp between it and the amplifier.  Does that answer the question?

I use mine in reverse, with my DAC going to the output and my logitech system and my amplifier hooked up to the outputs. Others previously posted on this page that running it this way makes the volume not work properly unless it's all the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back