Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #226 of 231
Is it possible to use the SYS as purely a switcher without using the volume control function at all? Essentially the output would go to one external poweramp - this way I can use the same loud speakers for both music and in a surround sound home cinema system. It would work as follows:

input 1 would be a Yggy >>> Saga/Lyr Preamp (for volume control) >> SYS (input 1) >>> SYS (output) to External Power amp to loud speakers.

Then, input 2 would be from the Left and Right Pre-Outs of a Denon AVR (with it's own volume control) >>> SYS (input 2) >>>> Same external power am to loud speakers.

Would this work? It would easily allow me to integrate separate music & films with one power amp.

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #227 of 231
Is it possible to use the SYS as purely a switcher without using the volume control function at all? Essentially the output would go to one external poweramp - this way I can use the same loud speakers for both music and in a surround sound home cinema system. It would work as follows:

input 1 would be a Yggy >>> Saga/Lyr Preamp (for volume control) >> SYS (input 1) >>> SYS (output) to External Power amp to loud speakers.

Then, input 2 would be from the Left and Right Pre-Outs of a Denon AVR (with it's own volume control) >>> SYS (input 2) >>>> Same external power am to loud speakers.

Would this work? It would easily allow me to integrate separate music & films with one power amp.
Yeah! Just set the SYS volume control to max. When you do that you can even use it in reverse, i.e. as an output switch (one input, two outputs).

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #229 of 231
Oki cool, I have no plans to use it in reverse, so just the two inputs, one output switching.

So with my planned set up, there's no risk of the speakers exploding right? 😅
Yes. If both sources are set to a volume that works without a SYS in between them and the amp, introducing the SYS shouldn't make a difference when the SYS is at max volume. It can only attenuate, not amplify/add gain.

No guarantees about pops when you switch between sources, but you can verify that scenario safely by lowering the SYS volume initially.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #230 of 231
I picked up a SYS to go between my Modius DAC and my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Works great for this, except the potentiometer feels real cheap and scratchy. Has anyone tried modding theirs to replace the pot with an Alps Blue or some such?

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #231 of 231
If you own a Sys, how does your volume pot behave? Mine makes almost no audible difference in volume after around 9 o'clock; maybe adds 1 or 2 db after that. But before around 9 o'clock, the volume drops precipitously (~98 percent of the volume change is packed into the range of 7 to 9 o'clock).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back