Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Jun 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #106 of 231
Nope, that is definitely one of the intended purposes 
biggrin.gif

As long as you don't lose digital information, you're set!

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #107 of 231
Just to chime in, I found the Sys reasonably priced. I use mine with a Schiit Lyr2 headphone amp. One input is for a Bifrost Uber. The other side is for a line input cable to run my Pono Player direct to the amp. I found no change in sound adding the Sys to my small system.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #108 of 231
I found the Sys to be a great complement for my vinyl and digital rigs. 

I have the following setup:

iPod classic 160 gig -> Pure i20 -> Bifrost -> Sys -> Lyr 1
Thorens TD 125 mkII -> Mani -> Sys -> Lyr 1

The sys makes a great way to flip between sources and is nice to A->B listen between loss-less digital and vinyl sources.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #111 of 231
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with thisthis http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/m-patch-2

Seems like it might fill the gap of multiple in, multiple out

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #112 of 231
I ran into the Schiit SYS trying to solve the opposite problem -- 1 output (integrated digital DAC/AMP) to 2 output devices (speakers, a highly colored tube amp that I only very occasionally use).  Schiit in their FAQ states . . .

Hey, can you use this in reverse to switch 1 input to two outputs?
Yes, with the volume all the way up. But why not just use RCA Y-cables or splitters, like these?

The link is to a $0.56 Y-spliiter on monoprice.  So the question is . . . is there actually a reason not to use a Y splitter?

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #113 of 231
  I ran into the Schiit SYS trying to solve the opposite problem -- 1 output (integrated digital DAC/AMP) to 2 output devices (speakers, a highly colored tube amp that I only very occasionally use).  Schiit in their FAQ states . . .

The link is to a $0.56 Y-spliiter on monoprice.  So the question is . . . is there actually a reason not to use a Y splitter?

Some people say the Y-splitter is inaudible. Others disagree. My recommendation is is to try the splitter first, because it is cheap. If it doesn't work, you always have the Sys as a backup purchase option 
biggrin.gif

I would only recommend you try the Sys first only if there is a time constraint, such that you cannot try the Y-splitter first, ordering the Sys later if the first option fails.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #114 of 231
I used a Y splitter so my Lyr2 could be attached to both a bi frost dac or a Pono Player. It turned out, I had to have the bi frost on even to listen to the Pono. Without the bi frost on the Lyr2 gave like 1/4 power. Since it it a Y, both sources are always active. The Sys solved the problem as only one,source is available at a time.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #115 of 231
Hey guys, dumb question for you about this SYS passive preamp from a noob. I just ordered a Maverick Audio D1 Tubemagic Plus. I mostly bought it for use with active monitors (Airmotiv 5s) since I don't expect much headphone time until late at night.

However, the headphone does not mute the speakers. So, I am thinking of using a second power strip to just plug in my speakers...but could I just hook up this SYS to control the volume to my speakers? For example D1 DAC output -> SYS input/SYS output -> active monitors? I'm assuming if it works I shouldn't get any noticeable loss of quality.

Edit: I'm also looking at something like the Emotiva control freak.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #116 of 231
Definitely! That's what the SYS is for. Just connect your DAC to RCA input 1 and out to your powered monitors. Keeping the SYS on a single channel is not a problem. If you later decide to use it to switch between speakers and say a headphone amplifier, you're good to go. Oh, and the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #117 of 231
  Definitely! That's what the SYS is for. Just connect your DAC to RCA input 1 and out to your powered monitors. Keeping the SYS on a single channel is not a problem. If you later decide to use it to switch between speakers and say a headphone amplifier, you're good to go. Oh, and the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked
redface.gif

Good to know, thanks! I'm still debating the SYS or Control Freak but I have a feeling I'm going to buy lots of Schiit in the future. :D

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #118 of 231

Good to know, thanks! I'm still debating the SYS or Control Freak but I have a feeling I'm going to buy lots of Schiit in the future. :D

Yeah - having other Schiit would make for a nice look. Unfortunately my Schiit is the off-color "black" style. But if you have a stack of same color Schiit, it certainly looks good!

The reason I like the Sys is I will sometimes use it in reverse. Such as at a recent headphone meet, I plugged in two DAC and used the output for the input. You can do this as long as you set the volume to max. But, I like to do odd things like that. Having the two inputs helps me cope
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 231

Users who are viewing this thread

Back