Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,591 of 1,986
If you’re planning on using exclusively with headphones and don’t need a speaker amp, I’d think you’d be better off going with something like a Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 stack (or even Gumby and Mjolnir 2 for slightly above 2k). I don’t have experience comparing any of these directly though.

You can put a multibit DAC in a Jotunheim, is there any need for the BiFrost?

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,592 of 1,986
You can put a multibit DAC in a Jotunheim, is there any need for the BiFrost?
The optional multibit DAC that's used in the Jotunheim is the Analog Devices AD5547; the one in the Bifrost 2 is the Analog Devices AD5781ARUZ (x2). They aren't the same chips. I haven't heard both DACs yet, though, so I can't make a qualitative comparison.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,593 of 1,986
The optional multibit DAC that's used in the Jotunheim is the Analog Devices AD5547; the one in the Bifrost 2 is the Analog Devices AD5781ARUZ (x2). They aren't the same chips. I haven't heard both DACs yet, though, so I can't make a qualitative comparison.

Thanks for that clarification; a clear SQ improvement moving to the separate DAC and a nice upgrade path.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,594 of 1,986
I honestly can't believe I'm considering spending more than 1k on a amp but this covid/Texas freeze/ chip shortage/ has lead to this I guess.

With the Jotunheim 2 being on backorder till the end of May, I'm strongly considering just going all out with the Ragnarok 2 since I can just save a couple more paychecks and still have it before the Jotunheim ready. The way I'm looking into this as a stepping stone into bookshelf speakers when I'm ready to get into those but enjoy my headphones know.

Currently using Beyer T1 and Audio-Technica's ATH ADX-5000x what should I do to avoid damaging them with this amp being able to provide so much power.

I finally think I'll give planar headphones a try now.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,595 of 1,986
I honestly can't believe I'm considering spending more than 1k on a amp but this covid/Texas freeze/ chip shortage/ has lead to this I guess.

With the Jotunheim 2 being on backorder till the end of May, I'm strongly considering just going all out with the Ragnarok 2 since I can just save a couple more paychecks and still have it before the Jotunheim ready. The way I'm looking into this as a stepping stone into bookshelf speakers when I'm ready to get into those but enjoy my headphones know.

Currently using Beyer T1 and Audio-Technica's ATH ADX-5000x what should I do to avoid damaging them with this amp being able to provide so much power.

Just make sure and check that the volume knob is turned all the way down before powering on the amp and wait until the amp does it checks, lights stop flashing, before turning the volume knob up. The amp has 3 gain settings. Start with the 1st gain, lowest one, and see how you like the sound of your headphones. Also as you increase the gain, going from low to high, you'll have less turning of the volume knob to get to your desired listening level.

Will drive planers easily. Lots of power.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,596 of 1,986

Just a heads up - I've ordered a Ragnarok 2 (in February), but the shipping time has been revised twice now. If things go well, hopefully, we'll be able to get our hands on a Ragnarok 2 in the next couple of weeks.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,597 of 1,986
Just a heads up - I've ordered a Ragnarok 2 (in February), but the shipping time has been revised twice now. If things go well, hopefully, we'll be able to get our hands on a Ragnarok 2 in the next couple of weeks.
Yeah if things go my way I'll have the funds for it this Thursday. According to their site the silver amp only version will be in stock around the same time so perfect timing on my part It seems. Going to buy this and the ifi phono zen for my turntable. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have the Bifrost 2 as well.

May 17, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,600 of 1,986
Yeah if things go my way I'll have the funds for it this Thursday. According to their site the silver amp only version will be in stock around the same time so perfect timing on my part It seems. Going to buy this and the ifi phono zen for my turntable. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have the Bifrost 2 as well.
Just wondering, did you buy the Ragnarok 2? The shipping date has been moved (again) for my order; I am trying to see if I can get the amp delivered separately from the Yggdrasil, which has an ostensibly later shipping date.

May 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,601 of 1,986
Just wondering, did you buy the Ragnarok 2? The shipping date has been moved (again) for my order; I am trying to see if I can get the amp delivered separately from the Yggdrasil, which has an ostensibly later shipping date.
I did order the Raganrok 2, on the 11th at the time of the order it said shipping 5-7 days for the silver JAA version. I do notice the item page now shows a 2-4 estimate ship date.

Jason has made a comment regarding their backorder problem in their recent YouTube live stream, they're working on a first come first serve basis. So if your order says "shipped 1-3 days" but the day after the item displays a "shipped 2-4 weeks" notice you should expect it in 1-3 day window.

Now as to if my ragnarok 2 will ship some time this week is questionable, I don't mind if it's delayed by a extra couple of weeks I still have to wait for the bifrost 2 to be shipped which was ordered on the 3rd.

bifrost.PNG

rag.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,602 of 1,986
I recently got my Ragnarok 2 and I'm trying to set up a SVS SB1000 with a pair of Emotiva B1s. Using the SE pre outs to the sub only activates it when the headphones are selected. Is there a way to have the pre outs work with the speakers instead? Or should I use the high level inputs connected to the speaker outputs? I used the high level inputs with my A-100, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea with a fully differential amp considering the warning: "Very important: BOTH positive and negative terminals are active. Do NOT short negative output to ground, or use with speakers that have common grounds."
TIA

I absolutely love this stepped attenuator! I can finally listen to my headphones as low as I want without channel imbalance.

Attachments

• sb1000 rear.jpg
    sb1000 rear.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,603 of 1,986
Nope. Line Level out is on in all settings, IIRC. I was considering a SYS in-between Rag 2 and a Sub, but decided against Rag 2 and bought a well cared for and used Rag 1 instead (line out is only active with speaker modes).

As far as High Level to a sub goes -- BE CAREFUL!! Rag is inherently balanced including speaker outputs. Check with SVS to ensure this can be done. You may need a special cable akin to the ones available for REL, if it can even be done at all.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #1,604 of 1,986
Ragnarok 2 preamp outputs are only active when the headphone output is active, so you must use either use the Headphones output setting or the “both” output setting. To get the sub to play with speakers, I’d just use the “both” setting and unplug the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back