Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,576 of 1,985
What’s the consensus on buying the rag 2 fully loaded as an all in one package for headphones exclusively? Would that $1800 be better served getting a separate amp and DAC in the 2k range? If so what would you recommend?

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,577 of 1,985
What’s the consensus on buying the rag 2 fully loaded as an all in one package for headphones exclusively? Would that $1800 be better served getting a separate amp and DAC in the 2k range? If so what would you recommend?

If you’re planning on using exclusively with headphones and don’t need a speaker amp, I’d think you’d be better off going with something like a Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 stack (or even Gumby and Mjolnir 2 for slightly above 2k). I don’t have experience comparing any of these directly though.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,578 of 1,985

The packaged DAC isn't good enuf IMO. Used v281 if you can find it migh quell your passion for the Rag.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,579 of 1,985
If you’re planning on using exclusively with headphones and don’t need a speaker amp, I’d think you’d be better off going with something like a Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 stack (or even Gumby and Mjolnir 2 for slightly above 2k). I don’t have experience comparing any of these directly though.

Lyr 3 is better than the Bifrost 2 or Jot 2. However the Mjolnir 2 is a beast, as is the v281

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,580 of 1,985
No I don't mean exactly a Rega.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
But compared to amps like Cambridge 851A , Arcam SA30 , Yamaha AS1100 , Marantz PM8006 etc.

Btw , the Rag 2 has a remote and runs very cool.

...and has better bass, but the 2 I heard straight out of the factory seemed a little edgier in the highs, and lacking inner detail at Gain 2.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #1,581 of 1,985
I have frequently switched between the two gain settings and prefer the second level. It is cleaner and allows more of the source signal to come through. Very few albums require me to push it to the third gain.

I have come close to figuring out the RAG 1 gain stages since details are lacking in the docs:

Gain 1: pure class A, 4 watt max, rolled off at top and bottom - just like a passive pre-amp. Purist sound, but lacking drive/guts

Gain 2: sliding bias class A. again 4 watts in A then AB. No more rolled off top and bottom. Excellent dynamics and sense of life. 90% of my listening

Gain 3: Not sure if its 4 watts class A again, but it really sounds like a routine class AB amp of the 50-100 wpc size - similar to Bryston 3B, ROTEL, Classe CA-100, etc. No magic, just a bludgeon. If your speakers are under 88 db/SPL you may have to use it.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,583 of 1,985
Just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Ragnarok 2, I find out that it is backordered until late February. Argh!

1610481294618.png

The Raggy will be a good contemporary to the Mjolnir 2, I feel. Shucks, I guess I'll have to wait for 2 months before I can get my hands on one. Like they say, good things come to those who wait, and all that. :wink:

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,584 of 1,985
I'm holding out for a Rag 3 - about 4.5 years or so....

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #1,585 of 1,985
I'm holding out for a Rag 3 - about 4.5 years or so....
Yeah, that seems about right. :wink:

For users of the Ragnarok 2, how hot are the sides? Due to a cramped desk, I am planning to place them side by side with an Yggdrasil; they won't be touching each other, but I'll leave a gap of about 2-3 cm (an inch). Is that too little? For comparison, my Mjolnir 2 is warm; I think the Ragnarok 2 might run a little cooler, though. Thanks! :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #1,587 of 1,985
It runs very cool.
During my review time I didn't experience any heat build up at all.
That's good to know, thanks.

From my limited time spent with the original Ragnarok, I found it warm to the touch, but not necessarily hot; at least, not like the Mjolnir 2. The heatsinks on the Ragnarok 2 are ostensibly doing a great job with dissipating heat.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #1,589 of 1,985
Yeah, that seems about right. :wink:

For users of the Ragnarok 2, how hot are the sides? Due to a cramped desk, I am planning to place them side by side with an Yggdrasil; they won't be touching each other, but I'll leave a gap of about 2-3 cm (an inch). Is that too little? For comparison, my Mjolnir 2 is warm; I think the Ragnarok 2 might run a little cooler, though. Thanks! :)

Rag 2 doesn't go over 80F in my experience - better/different cooling fins, and 1W Class A compared to 4 for the R 1. Runs well cooler than the Mjolnir 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back