Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,606 of 2,005
I have a Rag 2 and love it, but this functionality is a real head scratcher. I’m not using a sub, but if I was I’d probably just use the “both” setting as described above and hope I remember to unplug my headphones.
I just received my Rag last week and I agree. It makes no sense. The Rag 2 has been called much more of a speaker amp than Rag 1, but yet concessions are still made to a bizarre and small segment that must have begged for this function. I can only believe that the next version will have a more conventional operation and disable the pre out with phones and only active with speakers. On a more positive note, I think the Rag 2 sounds awesome. I am not using the line put, so the backwards functionality does not really affect me.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,607 of 2,005
Thanks for the responses. I have emailed SVS to see if the sub uses a common ground.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,608 of 2,005
Rag 2 owners - can any of you confirm whether you can simply 'drop in' the DAC/Phono cards in the amp (replacing the SE RCA inputs)? Does it still have the ten-pin PCB inputs inside for the card modules?

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #1,610 of 2,005
EXCELLENT!!!

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,611 of 2,005
Nope. Line Level out is on in all settings, IIRC. I was considering a SYS in-between Rag 2 and a Sub, but decided against Rag 2 and bought a well cared for and used Rag 1 instead (line out is only active with speaker modes).

As far as High Level to a sub goes -- BE CAREFUL!! Rag is inherently balanced including speaker outputs. Check with SVS to ensure this can be done. You may need a special cable akin to the ones available for REL, if it can even be done at all.

The Rag 1 is liable to have a shorter life than the 2 - since it runs quite hot and the 2 runs cool.

The 2 has a better more impact driven bass. OTOH I think the treble of the 2 is a bit wild compared to the 1 (was a Schiit demo so maybe off a bit). Also interestingly the 1 is Class A through 4 wpc (8 ohms), but the 2 is just 1 wpc. This is important for planars using fair power (HE500 -> He-6). There is a certain liquid warmth with the 1 in Class A - almost reminds of a Pass design - the 2 didn't quite give me the same sense.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,612 of 2,005
I am quite happy with Rag 1 and other than Rag 2 having a remote dont really regret my decision. Class A to 4 watts, sub friendly w/pre-out disabled in HP mode, and the price of $750 made it an easy decision for me. Plus it even glows like a tube amp! :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #1,613 of 2,005
I am quite happy with Rag 1 and other than Rag 2 having a remote dont really regret my decision. Class A to 4 watts, sub friendky w/pre-out disabled in HP mode, and the price of $750 made it an easy decision for me. Plus it even glows like a tube amp! :smile:

Well its only 750 until you have to repair it.....😁... get it fixed before your maggies arrive

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,614 of 2,005
Even at max repair (which it would likely be far less). It really seems like it's a cold solder connection causing the very intermittent left channel distortion/cut-out as it comes back for weeks after I smack the the top plate. I doubt it is a board replacement.

Getting it serviced before maggies arrive? That's the plan. I think Lokius Max will be released and available before my maggies arrive, however.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,616 of 2,005
Rag 2 owners - can any of you confirm whether you can simply 'drop in' the DAC/Phono cards in the amp (replacing the SE RCA inputs)? Does it still have the ten-pin PCB inputs inside for the card modules?
Not a Rag 2 owner, but Schiit's Website does state that the DAC are user installable w/o firmware update.
https://www.schiit.com/products/true-multibit-card

The phono card does not have the option on the website, so I am not sure about that one.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,617 of 2,005
My new Rag 2 has been cooking for a week and a half now. I use this primarily as a speaker amp connected to my Thiel CS 1.5. I believe the reviews that stated the Rag is bass shy are a bit off bass - pardon the pun. Prior to the Rag 2, I had been using a Krell S300i integrated amp. The time came to move on from the Krell. I wanted something with 2 balanced inputs and a headphone out. I had no doubts about the headphone out of the Rag 2 being superlative, but I will admit I was concerned about the output power of the Rag 2 being enough for my Thiels and the reviews that indicated the Rag 2 was a bit bass shy. For the first couple days, well, I was sweating because while I was hearing outstanding detail, the top end was a bit on the bright side and yes, there was a lack of deep bass. I decided I wouldn't get too judgemental as I know the amp needed to cook, so I left a tuner playing full time when I was not listening. At about the one week mark, the sound started to settle in and the low end was filled out much more evenly. Now keep in mind, I have the Just An Amp version, so I cannot comment on the sound of the built in digital board or the phono. I have separate components for those duties. But I find the Ragnarok 2 to have all of the bass I was getting from the Krell I had been using. I think the Krell may have had a very slightly better grip on very low end, but the Rag for sure has all of the bass the Krell had, driving my little Thiels nicely. Also the Thiels have a rather flat 4 ohm impedance, so the amp is not putting out more than 100 watts into the speakers, but it drives them loud enough for me. I am not a head banger, and I did test the amp in low gain at volumes that are higher than I normally listen at, but I had no issues what so ever. The Rag 2 gets two big thumbs up from me. At some point, I will give the headphone out a good listen, but right now, I am enjoying my speakers too much.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,619 of 2,005
Rag 2 bass shy? Someone was laying a trap to catch those that agree with false claims - or they cannot actually tell the difference. It's got better bass than a Rag 1 which is well above average. I think the Bryston has more than the 2, but IMO the Bryston is colored in the bass - like an amp with overly large output caps (Dyna 416 with c-100 add on). A Violectric v-281 has a bit better bass then the 2 - maybe.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,620 of 2,005
I think the bass on Rag 2 is very nice. Full of clarity, texture, and definition. Most recent thoughts made with Bifrost 2 balanced as DAC.

It might not hit some low notes with as much impact as say Vidar does, but it seems faster and more detailed then Vidar did. Ill be swapping Vidar in with the maggies very soon as Ragnarok is heading to the office. Ill add further thoughts as they come to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back