Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,621 of 2,020
I think the bass on Rag 2 is very nice. Full of clarity, texture, and definition. Most recent thoughts made with Bifrost 2 balanced as DAC.

It might not hit some low notes with as much impact as say Vidar does, but it seems faster and more detailed then Vidar did. Ill be swapping Vidar in with the maggies very soon as Ragnarok is heading to the office. Ill add further thoughts as they come to me.
At low output (1 WPC Class A) the Rag 2 might have an advantage over the Vidar due to being Class A. But for speakers its probably not much of a factor. The Rag 1 does a bang up job on the Maggie .7i, otoh the 1.7i shuts it down. I imagine the 3.7i, 10, 20 might not thrive either. Not sure its true for the 2, but overall the 1 and 2 are quite close (besides the 1 having 4 wpc of class A power) - making it better for power hungry cans than almost all class AB amps

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,622 of 2,020
At low output (1 WPC Class A) the Rag 2 might have an advantage over the Vidar due to being Class A. But for speakers its probably not much of a factor. The Rag 1 does a bang up job on the Maggie .7i, otoh the 1.7i shuts it down. I imagine the 3.7i, 10, 20 might not thrive either. Not sure its true for the 2, but overall the 1 and 2 are quite close (besides the 1 having 4 wpc of class A power) - making it better for power hungry cans than almost all class AB amps

Yeah im using LRSs.

I think Ragnarok is just a higher quality amp then Vidar from a SQ perspective. Vidar is really good, Ragnarok just sounds better.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,623 of 2,020
Hmmmn Maybe the Ragnarok preamp section is just better than the Saga preamp driving your Vidar... :thinking:

Only one way to find out. 😆

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,624 of 2,020
It is. Heads and Tails better. But Vidar being driven by Ragnarok still isnt as good as Ragnarok by itself. 3D dimensionality, layering, separation, and placement arent as good.

Tonally Vidar is great with Ragnarok, but it still feels as if some parts are stacked on top of each other and compacted.

Thinking the fact that Ragnarok is a differential amp plays a big part in this.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,625 of 2,020
The amp section of the Rag 1 is very good. The pre amp has a narrow stage however.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,630 of 2,020
In Jason's Valencia factory tour he showed them putting toroidal transformers into the Ragnarok instead of the previous EL transformers. Jason stated this reduced the noise levels. Has anyone received the new toroid Ragnaroks and have anything to say about changes to the performance and sound?

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,632 of 2,020
My Ragnarok 2 came in the mail - they sound a lot closer to neutral than my Sansui unit (even with the bass and treble switches on my Sansui AU-101 turned down and up respectively), and vocals sound stronger too :) I've yet to make my chain balanced, but I'll wait until next pay day.

The amount of headroom this amplifier has is insane.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,633 of 2,020
Despite cancelling my order for a Ragnarok 2 in July - owing to the interminable delays - I can't seem to dispose of the need (or desire, actually) to have a Ragnarok 2 serve as the "end game" amplifier for my desktop set up.

At present, the waiting time for the Ragnarok 2 is at a healthy "1-3 days". Looks like a positive sign, if nothing else. :wink:

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,634 of 2,020
In Jason's Valencia factory tour he showed them putting toroidal transformers into the Ragnarok instead of the previous EL transformers. Jason stated this reduced the noise levels. Has anyone received the new toroid Ragnaroks and have anything to say about changes to the performance and sound?
Can't say what a toroid transformer sounds like in a Rag, but other experiences I've had say that is a good thing.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,635 of 2,020
Despite cancelling my order for a Ragnarok 2 in July - owing to the interminable delays - I can't seem to dispose of the need (or desire, actually) to have a Ragnarok 2 serve as the "end game" amplifier for my desktop set up.

At present, the waiting time for the Ragnarok 2 is at a healthy "1-3 days". Looks like a positive sign, if nothing else. :wink:
An update - I purchased a Ragnarok 2 last Thursday, and it should be arriving at my doorstep by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I was mulling on a purchase for the longest-possible time, but I was afraid that the "1-3 working days" turnaround time would inadvertently morph into a multi-week waiting period, owing to supply issues and the like. Hence, I finally decided to get my Ragnarok 2. Can't wait for them to arrive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back