Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3,091 of 13,350
Quote:

I think you'll love the Lyr, I sure love mine!  What tubes are coming with it?

it comes with the GE tubes, and it has the "soft start", that makes me feel a little safer, i'm usually good about unplugging when not in use
turn on unplugged, volume down, etc, but, mistakes can be made ! lol

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #3,092 of 13,350
Quote:
i'm not sure, it was an impulse buy, and this was the 4th lyr i had inquired about today, the first 3 already sold, and when the seller said yes, i said "i'll take it !! and what's you paypal ?? lol

Well, one of the great things about the Lyr is that you can make significant changes to the sound signature by swapping in different tubes.  There are right now two threads devoted to just this subject.  And there are great tubes out there that won't cost an arm or a leg also.  Of course, some of the nicer tubes can be pretty pricey, but you will definitely be able to find tubes that will suit your ears and your wallet.  Give the tubes that come with it a fair try first, it may very well be that they suit you just fine.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,093 of 13,350
Quote:

Well, one of the great things about the Lyr is that you can make significant changes to the sound signature by swapping in different tubes.  There are right now two threads devoted to just this subject.  And there are great tubes out there that won't cost an arm or a leg also.  Of course, some of the nicer tubes can be pretty pricey, but you will definitely be able to find tubes that will suit your ears and your wallet.  Give the tubes that come with it a fair try first, it may very well be that they suit you just fine.

oh yeah, i've had tubes before, i have a little do i+, and a g3 now, each with multiple tubes/pairs , i'll be getting rid of those now, i suppose

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,095 of 13,350
So I know there's countless threads about the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro but I wanted to see if any of you guys have either or and which do you think sounds better on the Schiit amps and dacs. I thought I was settled on the DT 990 but I'm still about 50/50 so any help would be amazing, and before anyone says it I've spent the last two days searching this and many other forums trying to get this answer so I'm not just trying to take the "lazy" way out.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,096 of 13,350
Quote:
So I know there's countless threads about the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro but I wanted to see if any of you guys have either or and which do you think sounds better on the Schiit amps and dacs. I thought I was settled on the DT 990 but I'm still about 50/50 so any help would be amazing, and before anyone says it I've spent the last two days searching this and many other forums trying to get this answer so I'm not just trying to take the "lazy" way out.

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer.  It really comes down to your preference.  FWIT, I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Maybe if you post your music preference other people can chime in a bit better?

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3,097 of 13,350
Quote:

HD650 --> Rounded sound, laid-back, mid-bass emphasis.
DT990 --> Fast, sparkly, agressive.

Choose!

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,098 of 13,350
Quote:
the uberfrost just showed up and i swapped it in place of the modi

mother of god...

what

how is this even

i don't

how can a DAC possibly make this much difference holy hell

Yup DACs make a HUGE difference for me as well. If only people knew right?
wink.gif

Funny post by the way, but I was totally in your shoes when I got my Bifrost long ago...

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3,099 of 13,350
I'm in the club now, got a Mjolnir today.  Using Senn HD 600s as I had the stock cable doing nothing so I put an XLR on it.  Got the 700s and 800s to do later, or get another cable for them.  SACD/CD player from Sony and using single endedly for now.

beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3,100 of 13,350
Quote:
I don't think you'll get a definitive answer.  It really comes down to your preference.  FWIT, I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Maybe if you post your music preference other people can chime in a bit better?

I really listen to anything and everything besides country. Lots of classic rock, hip-hop, dubstep and everything in between.

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3,101 of 13,350
I'm in the club now, got a Mjolnir today.  Using Senn HD 600s as I had the stock cable doing nothing so I put an XLR on it.  Got the 700s and 800s to do later, or get another cable for them.  SACD/CD player from Sony and using single endedly for now.

:beerchug:

Congrats dude! Mjolnir is a gear amp, I bet it would pair amazingly with the 600s

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,102 of 13,350
i have a tracking number for my lyr !!

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,103 of 13,350
Quote:
Congrats dude! Mjolnir is a gear amp, I bet it would pair amazingly with the 600s

That's the one that made the most sense out of the three.  More of a casual set up than the microscope 800s, and whatever about the 700s.  Not worry about the tubes in the Sonett.  Just sit back and kick it!

And dang this thing goes loud!  
blink.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3,105 of 13,350
Yeah yeah, we all know that.  Kinda curious about the new Alpha Dog, too.  For a closed set, because my new neighbor's yapper dog doesn't shut up sometimes.  Again, just for a daily driver set up, not end game or whatever you want to call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back