Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,956 of 13,350
Quote:
Sweeet, I hope to have the UberFrost soon as well! Let us know what you think when you get it!
popcorn.gif

Congrats on your order too!
Definitely!  I'll likely wear out the F5 key checking my order status.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,957 of 13,350

Recabled DT880s with Asgard 2 + Uberfrost combo.

I've finally reached my endgame setup on Head-fi. The next time I decide to spend money it will be on a pair of LCD-2's and who knows how long that could be. I've reached the conclusion that I'm not going to find anymore detail or improvements unless I spend over $1000 on a headphone. If anyone could recommend a headphone to me that I might enjoy as a compliment to my DT880 let me know..
dt880smile.png
but I still continue to drool everytime I put my headphones on

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,958 of 13,350
Well I now have a Bifrost Uber on order to go with my Lyr.  Time to start a hi rez music collection to use with it.  
L3000.gif

You wont have to wait until you get hi-rez files to hear a very transparent window on the music. If you haven't already, check out Schiit's Faq describing their absolute refusal to do any upsampling. About 90% of my music files are 16/44 flac or wave, properly sent at original sample rate to Bifrost, and they are superb (some albums better than others of course).

You'll like it!

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,959 of 13,350
How do people here feel about the idea of pairing one of the bigger Schiit amps like the Valhalla with the Modi DAC?

I am interested in eventually updating the setup at my desk - especially if I am brought on full time as I may be soon... it would be a great way to celebrate, but I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of having IT install drivers on my company laptop for a USB2 DAC like the Bifrost, where the M+M required no input or approval at all due to being so simple. That, and I'm not entirely convinced the price difference wouldn't be better spent on the cans. Uberfrosting ain't cheap, Modi is. 

Semi-Offtopic:

Additionally, although this is the Schiit thread, I'm in the market for a better set of closed-backs than my current Senn HD439s. They're absolutely remarkable for the price, but having HD580s at home, they just don't sound quite as good in comparison, even running the 580s off a BitHead. I'm looking for a set of closed-backs which have the level of detail found in the 580s (seriously, you can hear the performers breathe with even just a BitHead), and with the same velour-cup comfort. I wish I could go open, but... cubicle farm. I've been recommended a few things in a thread I posted, and the most promising item is the Beyer DT70, which is more expensive than even an HD650... so nobody can blame me for balking there. A pair of closed backs from a brand I've never tried, for the cost of both HD650s and new 650 pads for my beat-up HD580s? Eeeehhhhh

Considering my M+M and potential interest in a Valhalla, do any of you Schiitlords have a recommendation for good, comfortable circumaurals that won't piss all my co-workers off or make my head sweat(pleather cups etc)? I'd love to just bring my 580s in, but you might as well strap speakers to your skull. Leakage is an understatement. The HD493 I have are great*, but especially with a gear upgrade I could do better... and I'm worried about using cans designed to get nice volume out of an iPhone with the Valhalla (should I be?)

*seriously, given burn-in, the HD493s are shocking. They're stylish and open-back-themed closed-backs for $100, with startlingly crisp clarity for the price, almost like baby $250+ open-backs in a way. Detail-wise, they walk all over the same-price HD280s, lagging behind only in ~beatz~. The bass reaches low, tight and fast, but unless you crank it, they're not bass cannons. I love these things, and highly recommend them for anyone in need of a cheap pair of closed cans with a more open-back high detail profile. Also, in something that makes a huge difference to me, they have velour cups. $100 for stylish looks, velous comfort, tight and controlled bass, sparklingly complex detail rendering, and removable cabling. They take a 30-50h burn-in to warm up (and I do mean warm, it's a very enjoyable warmth) and to have any access to the bass... but I recommend these very highly after a week living with them, for their price bracket. There's no better can-phile option at that price point. Once burned in so they can do bass and warmth, these sound like a lot more than $100 of 'phone.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,960 of 13,350
Office just sent me a package notification. My M&M stack is here!!!!

Cant wait to go home and give it a go. BTW isnt there a review of a guy mix and matching the M&M stack with the Askgardd/bifrost?

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,961 of 13,350
Quote:
Office just sent me a package notification. My M&M stack is here!!!!

Cant wait to go home and give it a go. BTW isnt there a review of a guy mix and matching the M&M stack with the Askgardd/bifrost?

Yes there is:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Defiant00 did a great job comparing/contrasting the various pieces in different combinations.

and I can now post on this thread as a fellow Schiit owner.  Ordered my M&M stack yesterday, and it shipped out same day.  I should have it waiting for me at home tomorrow afternoon!

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,963 of 13,350
Quote:
How do people here feel about the idea of pairing one of the bigger Schiit amps like the Valhalla with the Modi DAC?

I am interested in eventually updating the setup at my desk - especially if I am brought on full time as I may be soon... it would be a great way to celebrate, but I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of having IT install drivers on my company laptop for a USB2 DAC like the Bifrost, where the M+M required no input or approval at all due to being so simple. That, and I'm not entirely convinced the price difference wouldn't be better spent on the cans. Uberfrosting ain't cheap, Modi is. 

Semi-Offtopic:

Additionally, although this is the Schiit thread, I'm in the market for a better set of closed-backs than my current Senn HD439s. They're absolutely remarkable for the price, but having HD580s at home, they just don't sound quite as good in comparison, even running the 580s off a BitHead. I'm looking for a set of closed-backs which have the level of detail found in the 580s (seriously, you can hear the performers breathe with even just a BitHead), and with the same velour-cup comfort. I wish I could go open, but... cubicle farm. I've been recommended a few things in a thread I posted, and the most promising item is the Beyer DT70, which is more expensive than even an HD650... so nobody can blame me for balking there. A pair of closed backs from a brand I've never tried, for the cost of both HD650s and new 650 pads for my beat-up HD580s? Eeeehhhhh

Considering my M+M and potential interest in a Valhalla, do any of you Schiitlords have a recommendation for good, comfortable circumaurals that won't piss all my co-workers off or make my head sweat(pleather cups etc)? I'd love to just bring my 580s in, but you might as well strap speakers to your skull. Leakage is an understatement. The HD493 I have are great*, but especially with a gear upgrade I could do better... and I'm worried about using cans designed to get nice volume out of an iPhone with the Valhalla (should I be?)

*seriously, given burn-in, the HD493s are shocking. They're stylish and open-back-themed closed-backs for $100, with startlingly crisp clarity for the price, almost like baby $250+ open-backs in a way. Detail-wise, they walk all over the same-price HD280s, lagging behind only in ~beatz~. The bass reaches low, tight and fast, but unless you crank it, they're not bass cannons. I love these things, and highly recommend them for anyone in need of a cheap pair of closed cans with a more open-back high detail profile. Also, in something that makes a huge difference to me, they have velour cups. $100 for stylish looks, velous comfort, tight and controlled bass, sparklingly complex detail rendering, and removable cabling. They take a 30-50h burn-in to warm up (and I do mean warm, it's a very enjoyable warmth) and to have any access to the bass... but I recommend these very highly after a week living with them, for their price bracket. There's no better can-phile option at that price point. Once burned in so they can do bass and warmth, these sound like a lot more than $100 of 'phone.

You should be very happy using a Modi

I'm curious about your assessment of the HD280s and their comparison to Beatz and HD439s, mostly because I've heard of folks prefering 439s to 280s but I've never heard anybody claim the sound quality is leaps and bounds "better". Usually the big differences between the two come down to comfort. Furthermore, that fact that you put Beatz ahead of both the 439s and the 280s is really interesting, because I think you are the first person who has heard all three and actually think the Beatz's sound reproduction capabilities outclass a staple professional monitoring headphone or its closely related consumer-line brethren. It is truly fascinating.

Anyway, if it helps your point of reference, I use a Modi with a Magni and the HD280s and the results are fantastic.
I was listening to the Telarc recording of 1812 overture and with my setup could hear background movement noises behind the music throughout, but for example right around 3:58. The setups has the finesse to recreate those subtleties while it has the power to capture the majesty of the cannon blasts later on in the piece. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I can detect the conductor fart right at 15:00. For the love of god, please realize I'm joking here. Please don't crank your system up to hear a fart at this oint in the music because a cannon is about to ruin your **** if you do.

I was also listening to the title track from King Crimson's Lizard and the Magni+Modi+280s let me hear so much more detail---and actually understand what Jon Anderson is singing about in Prince Rupert Awakes---better than with other headphones like the AKG 240s. FYI, if you're using HD280s with Magni+Modi, i recommend keeping the volume knob at 9:30 or below. Otherwise, Fripp's mellotron blasts between Anderson's soft lyrics will be very painful in the left ear. The interlevening bass, piano, sax, oboe, and cornet in Bolero-The peacocks tale a magnificintly rendered by the my schiit amp and dac and lowely HD280s. Typical of all recordings from the early 70's, the recording noise is far more limiting that any modern equipment, and this is none more obvious than during Haskell's eerie chant that begins The battle of glass tears. The HD280s and schitt stack resolve everything in the recording.

Finally, I just wanted to comment that until I got the Magni+Modi driving my HD280s, I never realised how dynamic early Symphony X recordings were (like The Damnation Game) and I find it really depressing how overly compressed mastering of the later works are (e.g. Paradise Lost). I really like the titular track from Paradise Lost, but the compression  really makes the recording fatiguing and it robs the track of some of the epicness that it deserves by castrating the impact from Rullo's drums and Leponds bass. Furthemore Pinnella's piano introduction should have much softer to start----there just isn't enough headroom to for the dramatic build up that this song deserves.
Anyways, it's not something I ever noticed listening to the tracks from my smartphone or laptop, so kudos to Schiit for making my HD280s a really increadible set of $100 earspeakers.

Well, that's my experience using HD280s with Modi + Magni. You'll notice I didn't mention anything about electronic noise---that's because I can't hear any. The M+M have plenty of headroom that there is absolutetly nothing audible in the background. I couldn't be happier with three $100 peices. It could just be that I have different tastes, who knows. I definately prefer my HD280s to my friends more expensive AD900s, and I prefer washington apples to florida oranges (this seems like a valid comparision here). I've got some much pricier headphones on order, and I'll see if they open my eyes to the magical world of resolving audio equipment that will make me hate the 280s, although I'm skeptical.

Cheers

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,964 of 13,350
Oh, oh god no. I did not mean to imply that Beats are even worth the plastic they are stamped out of. Ew, ew, ew.

The difference I see between the 439 and 280 are that the 280 have bass slam and isolation that the 439 cannot match, while the 439 trades the bass slam and isolation for increased detail/balance and comfort. They're both very good, but if it's detail and fidelity you want, the 439 walks all over the 280. If it's fun bass-cans you want, the 280s are the way to go, and they're not without detail... they're still Sennheiser.

I find that the 439s feel far more in line with fun-but-refined stuff like the 580/650 approach to headphones, while the 280s are what Beats wish they were - DJ headphones with an extra helping of subwoofer. Each has their place. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,966 of 13,350
Quote:
Oh, oh god no. I did not mean to imply that Beats are even worth the plastic they are stamped out of. Ew, ew, ew.

The difference I see between the 439 and 280 are that the 280 have bass slam and isolation that the 439 cannot match, while the 439 trades the bass slam and isolation for increased detail/balance and comfort. They're both very good, but if it's detail and fidelity you want, the 439 walks all over the 280. If it's fun bass-cans you want, the 280s are the way to go, and they're not without detail... they're still Sennheiser.

I find that the 439s feel far more in line with fun-but-refined stuff like the 580/650 approach to headphones, while the 280s are what Beats wish they were - DJ headphones with an extra helping of subwoofer. Each has their place. 

Oh I see, I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. Yes, this description seems close to the general consensus!
smily_headphones1.gif

I get a kick out of hearing that the HD  280s are "bass heavy" (in general, because I've heard it from several others as well) because a lot of other folks choose different closed cans like M50 or the DT770 for the extra bass over the 280s---in fact, the 280's are also often accused of being too bright. I know, it's confusing!

The measurements at innerfidelity suggest that it's actually the 439's that have recessed mids and treble compared to the 280s. In fact, if anything, one could argue that the 280s show a defficiency in bass response in the 80--160 Hz range where the 439's only have a defficiency from about 90--120Hz.  The DT770's and the M50s definitely show low frequency response with a few extra dB emphasis above the mids and trebles.

I admit that I don't have any experience with the DT770s or the M50s, but I do have a pair of Akg 240studios with me and there is a plot from headroom's build a graph:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3741&graphID[]=2611&graphID[]=713&graphID[]=533&scale=30

In this graph, it shows the HD280's in orange with DT770(green), HD439 (blue), and K240s(red) for comparison and in fact the HD280s have less bass than all the rest of them (with the exception of having more sub-bass compared to the semi-open K240s). This actually shows that the HD280s have similar mid bass, and less upper-bass and lower-mids than the other headphones. Basically, all the closed cans show bass-extension, but in terms of the mid bass and upper bass that we hear more than feel, the other headphones have more of it.

I dont' like the K240s because they sound "boomy" to me. The graph clearly shows the mid bass and upper bass bloat (90Hz -- 300Hz).

How these graphs pertain to "detail" I'm not exactly sure, although I feel like I hear less detail from K240s compared to the HD280's because the boomy 100-200Hz region floods over the other parts of the music. The HD439, DT770, and the M50s don't have the same bloat, so I presume they all sound much more resolving that the K240s as well.

I'll restrain from linking frequency response measurements of the beats headphones so as to not embarrass Dr Dre, although the curious can certianly use their google-fu to see how those $300 compare to the "unbiased" ears of Tyll's dummy head.

Cheers!

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #2,967 of 13,350
Has anyone with a USB v1 Bifrost upgraded the usb card to the V2? If so was it worth it?

Cheers
Paul

Yes, still wondering myself what the sonic personality of the Gen 2 upgrade is. The new Stereophile review wasn't helpful in that regard.

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,969 of 13,350
Does anyone in this thread own both a Modi and a Valhalla?

From the dimensions I suspect it won't work, but I want to possibly swap my Magni with a Valhalla, and in the rearranging, stack the Modi on top of the Valhalla like so:

[modi]_AA_
[valhalla___]

(front view, where the "A" represents the tubes)

Going by measurement numbers and by eye, the Modi at 5" and the Valhalla at 9" wide, the Modi would not only be over the Valhalla's grill, but possibly even touching the tubes.

If someone with both could test it for me and maybe even take a pic that would be greatly appreciated. Aside from that, if anyone has any other aesthetically pleasing ideas for mating the two, I'm open to suggestions. I want to avoid setting them next to eachother if possible, as that just isn't all that good looking, and I'd sooner buy a Bifrost with the guts of a Modi just for sake of stack aesthetics. I know I can't be the only one who will spend a ton or possibly even opt not to upgrade in the name of aesthetics here...

I wish the WA7 didn't have so many people bemoaning the choice of included DAC, or that hideous power supply... because it's a beautiful monster and I'm ever so tempted... but I want to stick to Senns and Schiit wherever possible. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,970 of 13,350
Quote:
Does anyone in this thread own both a Modi and a Valhalla?

From the dimensions I suspect it won't work, but I want to possibly swap my Magni with a Valhalla, and in the rearranging, stack the Modi on top of the Valhalla like so:

[modi]_AA_
[valhalla___]

(front view, where the "A" represents the tubes)

Going by measurement numbers and by eye, the Modi at 5" and the Valhalla at 9" wide, the Modi would not only be over the Valhalla's grill, but possibly even touching the tubes.

If someone with both could test it for me and maybe even take a pic that would be greatly appreciated. Aside from that, if anyone has any other aesthetically pleasing ideas for mating the two, I'm open to suggestions. I want to avoid setting them next to eachother if possible, as that just isn't all that good looking, and I'd sooner buy a Bifrost with the guts of a Modi just for sake of stack aesthetics. I know I can't be the only one who will spend a ton or possibly even opt not to upgrade in the name of aesthetics here...

I wish the WA7 didn't have so many people bemoaning the choice of included DAC, or that hideous power supply... because it's a beautiful monster and I'm ever so tempted... but I want to stick to Senns and Schiit wherever possible. 

Bite the bullet and go Uberfrost
wink.gif
stacking problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back